What position would be acceptable this season

gordieict

What would you be happy with   

74 members have voted

1. 1. What position would you be acceptable this season ?

• European Place
    • Top Six
    • Avoid relegation

Curious to know what people would consider a success this season in the league.. 

This poll is not what you wish for but what you feel would be acceptable considering our budget etc.

Edited by gordieict

Budget is not great, granted.

But this team have the potential to achieve so much more and with so many bigger clubs out the equation, anything other than a Top 6 place isnt good enough. And if it is not achieved, i know precisely where the blame should lie. But hey lets see what saturday brings first.

Acceptable? 6th. Realistic? 8th/9th. I don't think there will be very much between 4th and 12th - hopefully, Kilmarnock (without boyd), St Mirren, Partick Thistle, Dundee, Ross County, Hamilton and St Johnstone (without May) will not be up to much and we'll get away with a low scoring system....particularly if we lose Billy McK! :ohmy:

Like I say to the missus, I'm happy with any position so long as it stays up.

Seriously tho above County and 8+ I could live with but we should be looking to try and cement ourselves as a regular top 6 team.

We've been top 6 for 2 seasons in a row, have kept the squad intact with the younger players improving all the time, and the calibre of our opponents is weaker than ever.  If we aren't top 6 again, we most definitely have the wrong manager in place.

• Agree 4

With a settled team of good players that have finished top six in the last two seasons (and only narrowly missed the season before), anything less than top six is a step backwards.  It would be accepting mediocrity and being satisfied with a team playing well below their capability.

If Terry Butcher's highly limited tactical knowledge can do it with this squad, then what would a bottom half finish say about the current...?

• Agree 1

Start of season expectation should be the treble

Realistic - 1 good cup run (semi or better)

Top 6 based on the lack of real quality in the SPFL with teams missing, if we start looking at being relegation candicates with the squad we have (not budget) then we are doomed when the 3 'big' teams return.

We've been top 6 for 2 seasons in a row, have kept the squad intact with the younger players improving all the time, and the calibre of our opponents is weaker than ever. If we aren't top 6 again, we most definitely have the wrong manager in place.

This.

Realistically: Top 6.

Optimistically: European qualification. 

Our team really has potential. Sure there are some areas we could focus more training on, like creating interesting moves that throw the opposition of and creates a chance. We need to focus a lot on counter attacks, despite being able to hold our shape (from what I saw in the last handful of games of the previous season) and being able to finish a chance. We need competition for BIlly; get a loanee in and play them in the first three matches or so. 

If the club wants to continue to grow and become a better brand then a top six finish is the minimum acceptance for the season, it is not acceptable to simply be happy with avoiding relegation.

It's been no fluke that we have finished top six in the last two seasons however we took a back step towards the end of last season but then we have gradually each year for the last three made steps forward. To go from top six and a final last season to avoiding relegation this season would be a huge step back and no matter who the manager is with the budget he has a prgression should be expected.

Saying that realistically I'm afraid i don't see it happening, I really do hope I am wrong.

Acceptable for me is seeing the lads going out and giving 100% every week.....and it's been a long time since we failed in that regard.

Do that and, other than the odd dodgy decision by the ref, we'll get our just rewards.

Can't ask for more than that, IMO.

• Agree 5

Top 6 and finish above the cabbage shafters. 

Weve finished top 6 for the last 2 season and we havent suffered any significant losses in terms of playing staff so there is no reason for us to expect anything less. However this is a very open league at present and everyone is vying for something so there will be no easy games at all. As CaleyD says no reason for slackness, expecting 100% each week.

Also hoping for a good start.

One win proves nothing. Complacency should not be allowed to enter the door. But if the win means the boys are tuning in to JH's philosophy and all of them are now on the same page then that is topping, dream topping.

The big question is : how good or bad are Hamilton? I mean,is the transition to the Premier League now a severe challenge or is it just opening nerves from Hammy and they need time to tighten up and adjust.

OR : Is Caley Thistle now a far stronger team than we had previously thought?