What position would be acceptable this season

gordieict

What would you be happy with   

74 members have voted

1. 1. What position would you be acceptable this season ?

• European Place
    • Top Six
    • Avoid relegation

Budget is not great, granted.

But this team have the potential to achieve so much more and with so many bigger clubs out the equation, anything other than a Top 6 place isnt good enough. And if it is not achieved, i know precisely where the blame should lie. But hey lets see what saturday brings first.

Saturday has come so where should the blame lie then ? Anything below 10th imo is not desirable - call me a realist. Only thing unacceptable is relegation. In Hughes I believe.

Would have to agree on what others have said about our current squad having achieved top six, two seasons in a row. We haven't lost anyone and the league is a bit weaker than last year so an acceptable position would be 6th or above. Totally different story if we had the player turnovers we used to have. I think top 6 is definitely what we should be looking at.

I don't buy the "league is weaker" argument.

Surely the whole point of a league system is that the weakest team/s are removed each season....even more so last season where one of the teams going down failed to prove they were better than those who replaced them in the play-off.

It's not just the teams that have been swapped out though, there have been some quality players leave the top league already, potentially weakening several sides. Kris Boyd, Shaun Hutchison, Ryan Gauld, Andy Robertson, Fraser Forster, Georgios Samaras and Stevie May to name a few. So personally, I think in general it is a bit weaker. I reckon only Dundee over the course of the season will prove to be better than the two Edinburgh teams that went down.

• Agree 1

Celtic: weaker

Motherwell: weaker

Aberdeen: stronger

Dundee United: weaker

ICT: no change

St Johnstone: weaker

Ross County: unknown but probably weaker

St Mirren: probably a little weaker but nothing too different

Kilmarnock: weaker

Partick: around the same

Dundee have signed well but I'd rather face Hamilton than Hearts.  It's definitely a weaker league.

• Agree 2

Realistically Top 6 is what I would expect. The only team I expect us to struggle against more often are Celtic, Aberdeen and Motherwell. With the sales they have made I would put Dundee utd on a par with us along with St Johnstone. The rest I would say are weaker.

So a top 6 finish is what we should expect. If we have a good season and Motherwell or Aberdeen falter a possible Euro place could be up for grabs. A good cup run i think as well is on the cards.

To early to say if teams are stronger or weaker than this time last season, but I'll have a go.

Celtic are obviously weaker but realistically are still streets ahead of everyone, just don't let them know that.

Aberdeen grew stronger thoughout the 2nd half of last season and if they hadn't had such an indifferent start to last season they would have been clear in second, so seems logical they are stronger.

Motherwell I don't know, they seem to lose players every season and rebuild and are still challenging for those Euro places and finishing best of the rest.

Dundee Utd are probably the same as last season, they will be hard to beat

Inverness CT I would like to think we are stronger than last season simply because our young players have more experience now.

St. Johnstone despite losing Stevie May have a lot about them including some talented young players coming through, I think they are on the rise.

Ross County I think will be a more solid unit than last season once the new players settle in, but then again it could go horribly wrong having that player turnover every season.

St. Mirren probably weaker but they always seem to do just enough to stay up

Partick Thistle unknown, starting their potentially difficult 2nd Season

Kilmarnock - weaker, doesn't seem to be much about them

We were lucky last season to have such a great start mainly because our players were fitter and match sharp right from the off compared to the opposition, then they simply just caught up on us and there was the disruption in changing managers and adapting to a new style of play. I think its safe to say non of this will happen again at least this season and we should enjoy a period of stability. Good to see we are not relying entirely on Billy McKay for goals which will make a difference. I still think we are good enough for a top six, maybe on for fourth or fifth. But beating last seasons points tally would be a more realistic target to aim for, places in the league look after themselves.

Edited by Snafu
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

To early to say if teams are stronger or weaker than this time last season, but I'll have a go.

Celtic are obviously weaker but realistically are still streets ahead of everyone, just don't let them know that.

Aberdeen grew stronger thoughout the 2nd half of last season and if they hadn't had such an indifferent start to last season they would have been clear in second, so seems logical they are stronger.

Motherwell I don't know, they seem to lose players every season and rebuild and are still challenging for those Euro places and finishing best of the rest.

Dundee Utd are probably the same as last season, they will be hard to beat

Inverness CT I would like to think we are stronger than last season simply because our young players have more experience now.

St. Johnstone despite losing Stevie May have a lot about them including some talented young players coming through, I think they are on the rise.

Ross County I think will be a more solid unit than last season once the new players settle in, but then again it could go horribly wrong having that player turnover every season.

St. Mirren probably weaker but they always seem to do just enough to stay up

Partick Thistle unknown, starting their potentially difficult 2nd Season

Kilmarnock - weaker, doesn't seem to be much about them

We were lucky last season to have such a great start mainly because our players were fitter and match sharp right from the off compared to the opposition, then they simply just caught up on us and there was the disruption in changing managers and adapting to a new style of play. I think its safe to say non of this will happen again at least this season and we should enjoy a period of stability. Good to see we are not relying entirely on Billy McKay for goals which will make a difference. I still think we are good enough for a top six, maybe on for fourth or fifth. But beating last seasons points tally would be a more realistic target to aim for, places in the league look after themselves.

I am not sure Celtic are weaker, apart from the keeper who have they lost from last year ?

Kilie most def weaker and I think they will struggle to stay up, luckily for them County are in the league 

10th or above is IMO acceptable but I am hoping for (and optimistic for) much higher than that.

Celtic may be a little weaker in some areas but Craig Gordon's a far superior keeper than Forster I believe.

Motherwell away has always been a terrible fixture for us but last weeks result was amazing.  Here's hoping it's the start of something special.

These early point on the board are so important I feel, for many reasons, one being player confidence and belief which in turn inspires better performances.

:ictscarf:

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...