Hughes comments

Doofer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28692889

Having read this article about the potential signing of Lewis Horner I was utterly shocked by the comments the Hughes has made about the expectations of the team for the upcoming season. In the last part of the article he is quoted as saying "If we stay up then we'll be happy and anything else is a bonus"

This is not the type of thing I want to be hearing from our manager. We have finished in the top 6 for the last 2 seasons and I expect the same again. If he had said "If we finish in the top 6 then we'll be happy and anything else is a bonus" then I'd agree with that. I was not convinced with the appointment of Hughes and I am even less convinced by him now

He actually makes a bit of sense, the Scottish Premiership is an unpredictable league - a few changes can hoof sides up the league or drag them down.  Aberdeen finished bottom six clearly and then bounced back to nearly take second last season.  County had a fantastic season in 12-13 and then came pretty close to going down last time out.  I doubt he's telling the players to settle and be negative.  I'm more worried about what he's telling players to do on the pitch - emphasis ball retention, slowing the game down etc.

• Agree 2

Think about it the SPL no-one can call yes who is going to win that's all, look at last season there for the play-off place who thought out of all the teams down there in January Hibs would be in the drop zone less than 5 months later. All he is saying is let other teams think what they want about us he doesn't care.

Im sorry but this is turning into a witch hunt of Hughes. The majority have been against his appointment and then since then anything that he can be criticised about they have got there teeth stuck in. So what if he says that a lot of people said the same thing before last season who assumed our first finish in the top 6 was a one off. Im sure Hughes knows we are capable of better and I remember him saying he wants to take us back to the final after last years so i'm sure he does have greater ambitions. 

• Agree 6

You missed the bit where he says "That's playing down our chances, we'll let everyone else tell everyone what they're going to do."

Whatever that means doesn't take away from the fact that he said he would be happy just to avoid relegation.  Despite saying "we'll let everyone else tell everyone what they're going to do" he also says that he expects we'll win more games than we'll lose - which, of course, is telling everyone else what he thinks we're going to do.

So he thinks we will win more than we will lose (so presumably that's top six again) but he will still be happy if we just avoid relegation.  I'm sure he does have higher ambitions for the club but his words don't exactly inspire confidence.

Ictchris makes a good point about small changes having a big impact on league position and therefore it would be foolish to make any more specific predictions, but surely nobody at the club will be happy if we just avoid relegation - relieved, maybe but surely not happy.  I would have thought the line should be that we have been top six for the last 2 seasons and will be looking to build on that. At the same time he should be acknowledging the progress other clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in particular are making which will make the league very competetive. That would demonstrate ambition whilst playing down expectations. 

I haven't been one to hide my feelings on John Hughes since he was appointed but someone should really coach him on what to say in the press because he does himself no favours at all, on one hand I can see what he is trying to do by deflecting the pressure from the players by saying that if we stay up he'll be happy and anything else is a bonus but on the other hand is he trying to create a rod for his own back?

I don't believe for one minute he has told the players privately that this is the aim for the season and if it is then I'll be shocked, we should be aiming for a top six finish taking our last two seasons into consideration and we should be within touching distance of another cup final again. We have a strong group of lads who fight and work for each other and have a great relationship and understanding and I cannot believe that anyone of them would be happy with just staying up so there's no need for the tippy toe attitude with the press, the squad can handle some pressure from the manager and maybe they need it.

Also to say that he thinks we'll win more games than we will lose this coming season is another stupid statement to make, I should think we should and we should be going into every game thinking we have the ability to win it otherwise what is the point?

He needs to stop trying to be everyones best friend and grow a pair especially in the media - he's got 8-10 games for me to prove himself or help change my opinion but until then I'm afraid I have no confidence in him.

You missed the bit where he says "That's playing down our chances, we'll let everyone else tell everyone what they're going to do."

Whatever that means doesn't take away from the fact that he said he would be happy just to avoid relegation. Despite saying "we'll let everyone else tell everyone what they're going to do" he also says that he expects we'll win more games than we'll lose - which, of course, is telling everyone else what he thinks we're going to do.

So he thinks we will win more than we will lose (so presumably that's top six again) but he will still be happy if we just avoid relegation. I'm sure he does have higher ambitions for the club but his words don't exactly inspire confidence.

Ictchris makes a good point about small changes having a big impact on league position and therefore it would be foolish to make any more specific predictions, but surely nobody at the club will be happy if we just avoid relegation - relieved, maybe but surely not happy. I would have thought the line should be that we have been top six for the last 2 seasons and will be looking to build on that. At the same time he should be acknowledging the progress other clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in particular are making which will make the league very competetive. That would demonstrate ambition whilst playing down expectations.

I remember watching an interview during half time of Dundee United last March on BBC Alba and they were interviewing Richie Foran. Richie said "If we don't achieve Top Six next year then it would be considered a failure"

I'm sure Yogi is aware of the expectation to achieve a top six finish and he will give it his best shot as will the players.

Edited by ICTRoughi

storm in a teacup IMHO .... What Hughes says to the press and what he says to the players are two different things and most of it is open to interpretation depending on your particular viewpoint.

What really matters occurs on that big green space in front of the dugout and that's what I will judge him on ........ 

• Agree 6

''Ronny Deila has told UEFA they are out of order forcing Celtic to begin their Champions League campaign in mid-July.''

Result Celtic lose 6-1 to Tottenham in a friendly and are out of Europe (unless the ineligible player thing materialises)!!

As Scotty and others say, Yogi is not over egging our chances but privately will be working the players hard for the season ahead.

storm in a teacup IMHO .... What Hughes says to the press and what he says to the players are two different things and most of it is open to interpretation depending on your particular viewpoint.

What really matters occurs on that big green space in front of the dugout and that's what I will judge him on ........ 

Well said Scotty!  precisely that, open to interpretation as is the style of play he is trying hard to put across.

Why do people get so worked up if things are not done the way THEY THINK they should be done or said.? Possibly it is because they don't fully understand the underlying motivation, This causes fear, fear causes  uncertainty, frustration follows so they have to lash out as if to protect themselves. It is a natural reaction but a dangerous one. Wars have been caused and are being caused precisely because of misunderstanding, difference of opinion and belief. Storms in teacups however are much more palatable especially if you use fine bone china.

Sorry I woke up in a philosophical mood this morning!¬!!!

When I first read the article I thought that is a bit negative but on reflection and after a bit of lateral thinking I saw it in a different light. So yes Scotty open to interpretation it is. 

At the start of the season everyone's goal would be not to get relegated but as the season goes on that is when you set other goals lie top 6 and europe, i'm sure if you asked all the managers in the SPL at the start of the season majority would say to avoid relegation and see what happens after that but if you asked them again in January it would be different for a lot of them. 

We need to trust Hughes and what he is doing, sure his CV (managerial wise) wasn't that good when he joined us but if you think about it neither was TB's and look at how well we got on with him once he got his ways across to the team.

If anyone has read any of my posts about Yogi you may be surprised by my take on this.

I think his interviews can come over very differently when written down than in the way it was actually said. It's hard to show a smile or a tongue in cheek remark that has been implied when in the written press.

• Agree 4

To be absolutely blunt, Yogi's personal target should be to still be our manager in January!  If he achieves this, we will have played some good football and got some decent results.  We have the squad to do this - in fact we have the squad to make Europe IMO - but only if they play in position and produce quality football (which is not judged by the quantity of passes!). The test of a good manager is the ability to listen to, and learn from his players, and to change things when they are not working. 

Here's hoping.....

• Agree 1

Personally I think Hughes should not be allowed to speak to the press. Nothing he says encourages me to go to the games and I have been a season ticket holder for 20 years. Nothing about the most exciting league in years. Nothing about the fact there is very little between the teams. Nothing about ICT are up for this season battle. Bring it on, ICT are ready!

Where is the aspiration, Where is the inspiration, Where is the motivation.

• Agree 2

Personally I think Hughes should not be allowed to speak to the press. Nothing he says encourages me to go to the games and I have been a season ticket holder for 20 years. Nothing about the most exciting league in years. Nothing about the fact there is very little between the teams. Nothing about ICT are up for this season battle. Bring it on, ICT are ready!

Where is the aspiration, Where is the inspiration, Where is the motivation.

Are you seriously suggesting that if he said the things you mention, it would encourage more people to attend matches. In my opinion, the people of Inverness just do not want to come out in numbers to support the team each week. Even when we were plating really attractive football, scoring goals and at the top of the league at the start of last season, the crowds did not pick up. Unless people start coming along on a more regualr basis, we will have more seasons outwiith the top 6 than within down to purely financial issues that could be helped if more supporters came through the gates.
  • Agree 5

He hasn't come across as badly as some make out. Obviously he's nowhere near as eloquent, charismatic or funny as Terry Butcher - but which Scottish manager is?

Whilst some of Hughes remarks (water kills the plant, workmans tools, honest lads) are facepalm-worthy. His positive, cheerful demeanour is actually quite endearing.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

I heard Yogi had a sausage roll at lunch the other day.  Surely the f*ck*r now owes Morrissey an apology.

Does anyone know what colour shoes he'll be wearing on Saturday?  I'd like to have a moan about this too.

It's only right.  We, the fans, deserve better.

• Agree 3

Its going to be a very open league this year. Im not surprised he is saying this. It takes pressure off him. Its a small league with little room for middle ground, everyone will be scrapping for something and as we found out last season - no one is safe. 

As Chris points out I too am concerned about the type of football we will see. It wouldnt surprise me if we play keep ball against Hamilton tomorrow, when probably the best thing to do would be to batter them from the off with some attacking play. 

With this tippy tappy heart in your mouth stuff we are playing, I agree with Yogi. Staying up is our priority. Avoiding the play off will be major this season, and I hope we can get there, not sure if I expect though

Not going to judge Hughes till I've seen how things pan out this season but I have my own interpretation on the quoted statement. One that could just as easily have been misquoted for press sensationalism.

"I'm a great believer in that you'll always finish where you deserve to finish and I think we'll win more games than we lose next season.

"If we stay up then we'll be happy and anything else is a bonus. That's playing down our chances, we'll let everyone else tell everyone what they're going to do."

The statement in bold is one I've heard our fans say on more than one occassion in the past so lets say that Hughes actually said ---- I've heard people say if we stay up then we'll be happy and anything else is a bonus but thats playing down our chances.

Lets all give the guy a chance and judge him on results at Inverness and not on results at other clubs.

• Agree 2