Lucky, lucky Celtic

Yngwie

Reinstated to the Champions League because Legia brought on a suspended player as sub for the last 2 minutes when they were 6-1 up! A real shame for Legia and their fans, leaving someone at the club with a bit of explaining to do.

I recall that if Celtic make the group stages, all clubs in our league get extra income so it is potentially a good development for ICT, although the chances of Celtic winning their next tie seem pretty slim given the thrashing they got from an unspectacular side.

I recall that if Celtic make the group stages, all clubs in our league get extra income so it is potentially a good development for ICT, although the chances of Celtic winning their next tie seem pretty slim given the thrashing they got from an unspectacular side.

It's £280k each team gets i read somewhere 

The 2nd leg was awarded as a 3-0 win (making Mr. W.Alkover Celtic's top scorer this season) which could set an interesting precedent: if you win your first leg 4-0, can you guarantee your place in the next round by fielding an ineligible player?

Edit - scratch that, silly question, if the 2nd leg was 0-5 they'd obviously just allow the result to stand.

Edited by Yngwie

It is completely unjust given that Celtic were to all intents and purposes soundly beaten before the illegible player was put on.  Celtic were beaten fair and square.  However, if the rules state that if an ineligible player is played at any point in the tie the tie is forfeited to the opposition then Legia only have themselves to blame - somebody must have known he was illegible.

It seems like another example of stupid officials making stupid rules and thereby making a laughing stock of the game.  There should be some scope to use a bit of discretion in situations where the offence clearly had no impact on the outcome of the tie.  Trouble is that the numpties who run the game want to avoid making difficult decisions and having to use a bit of judgement.  Allowing Legia to progress but giving them a fine would be far more appropriate, but if the rules don't allow for that kind of discretion, it aint going to happen.

Unbelievable ruling, given a precedent when a club was only fined £15k for the same error made "in god faith". I'm not sure we've heard the end of it.

Still, it would be good for Scottish football to have a rep in the chamions league - kudos, cash and a distraction for Celtic to boot! shame the other 2 didn't make it, but I bet there's a few Aberdonians looking up the rule books.

Can't see an appeal by Legia succeeding tbh given that the draw has already taken place for the next round.

That won't have any bearing on the appeal. The teams will just take each other's place in the CL/Europa.

Bizarrely though, as Celtic were seeded in the CL draw and Legia wouldn't have been, if Legia's appeal succeeds they will have an easier draw and a better chance of reaching the group stages than they would have done if they hadn't broken the rules!  :blink:

Am I right in thinking that the indiscretion by Legia didn't, on it's own, result in them being expelled from the competition?

In other words, fielding an ineligible player didn't get them thrown-out - they were punished with a 0-3 result for the particular game involved.

If, for example, they'd won the first leg 5-1, would Legia still have gone through, on aggregate, despite the offence?! Confusing.

Am I right in thinking that the indiscretion by Legia didn't, on it's own, result in them being expelled from the competition?

In other words, fielding an ineligible player didn't get them thrown-out - they were punished with a 0-3 result for the particular game involved.

If, for example, they'd won the first leg 5-1, would Legia still have gone through, on aggregate, despite the offence?! Confusing.

I think you're right on all points there, had they not missed even one of their penalties they would have been through.

I read that the guy who was sent off and given the three match ban was the game last season, when they were knocked out of the Europa league. Did Legia not play a qualifier like Celtic to get to this round, home and away against an Irish team, then the home game against Celtic. My understanding is that amounts to three games the guy didnt play in, SO WAS HE STILL BANNED FOR AN EXTRA GAME. Or did Celtic's legal team argue that the Irish team was really a bye and those two games did not count.

I read that the guy who was sent off and given the three match ban was the game last season, when they were knocked out of the Europa league. Did Legia not play a qualifier like Celtic to get to this round, home and away against an Irish team, then the home game against Celtic. My understanding is that amounts to three games the guy didnt play in, SO WAS HE STILL BANNED FOR AN EXTRA GAME. Or did Celtic's legal team argue that the Irish team was really a bye and those two games did not count.

The story appears to be that the player wasn't registered in the squad for the games against St Patricks, and so they did not count towards his suspension. It may be that as he was banned Legia didn't register him as he wouldn't have been able to play, not realising that the ban didn't count when he wasn't registered. They then registered him for the round against Celtic, knowing he had to be registered before the first leg to be able to play in the second, and so the first leg then counted as the first game of the suspension.

• Agree 1

Sorry but thats a load of bull...., Liverpool didnt register Wilson for him to spend his league cup ban, so technically he was also banned for the first semi against us at the club formerly known as Hearts

Hope Maribor hammer them 6-1

• 3 weeks later...

[terrible, contrived tabloid headline alert!]

[obscure literary reference alert!]

If Celtic get knocked out tonight because their striker scores an own goal, would that be a Maribor Stokes Nightmare?

By way of an apology, I will not only fetch me coat  :getmecoat:  I will also provide my own tumbleweed.  :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

• Agree 1

I dislike Celtic but take no pleasure in their dismissal from the Champions League.

It reflects poorly on Scottish football - our stock is really low on the continent. It also affects our UEFA co-efficient which could directly impact on ICT further down the line.

It's also cost ICT a reputed £100,000 tonight.

I dislike Celtic but take no pleasure in their dismissal from the Champions League.

It reflects poorly on Scottish football - our stock is really low on the continent. It also affects our UEFA co-efficient which could directly impact on ICT further down the line.

It's also cost ICT a reputed £100,000 tonight.

We'll win the league and it'll be fine