Hamilton v Inverness CT

Scotty

Very poor and disappointing crowd.

The transition from the lower league to the Premier Division might prove to be a real challenge to

Hammy. They look like a good, solid-looking team though so maybe they will get it all together. Good competition is important to get the best reactions from teams so we wish them well.

Good win for us to instill and re-inforce confidence in our team.

Superb result huge three points already as it was a tricky opening fixture

Delighted that we beat the first plastic pitch cheats let's hope we can do the same to Killie

Accies and Killie for relegation

Dougal

That was enjoyable. We played some nice stuff at times today, with Christie, Williams and McKay linking up well in attack, Shinnie breaking forward dangerously and and Tansey dictating things from the base of midfield. It undoubtedly helped that we seemed to be gifted a goal so early on though - I didn't really see what happened beforehand, but all of a sudden McKay was on his own at the corner of the box and was able to lob McGovern neatly. Towards the end of the first half and for the first 15-20 minutes of the second the inventiveness went out of our play a bit and Hamilton had a bit more of the game, but Marley Watkins coming on swung the momentum back to us - he looked really up for it and threatened a few times, most notably when, after cutting in from the right, he almost scored with a wicked shot that McGovern did well to touch onto the bar. I'd like to see him start against Dundee, possibly instead of Vincent who was the least effective of our attacking midfielders, but if not, he's certainly a great impact player to have. Doran was much less effective when he came on and still looks like he's carrying a bit of excess summer weight.

Encouraging stuff then, but Accies were probably the ideal opening team for us - they looked nervous, gave the ball away too easily and also didn't really take advantage by pressing the ball when we were playing all the languid possession stuff. A more experienced team, more familiar with our players, would probably have managed to capitalise on that period where our level dropped more effectively, and that way losing control of games lies. Presumably the players and management will be mindful of that in future games though. Someone I was with at the game mentioned that today was a bit reminiscent of our first ever SPL game, when we were easily beaten by a pretty efficient and experienced Livingston team, and I reckon it'll take a few games before we get a proper gauge of how we're going to match up in the league this year. 

Incidentally, the Hamilton Young Team trying to noise up some Canadian children's sports team at Hamilton West post-match was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen. What a sorry bunch.

• Agree 8

Yes - good performance today, although against a flaky side. Everyone played well.  Great to see Mckay and Christie get on the scoresheet, and Watkins was very unlucky a minute after coming on.  Roll on Wednesday!

Very pleased with the result. By all accounts a good performance as well. I hope I am proved very long with some of my previous thoughts and more of this kind of thing will go along way.

Delighted with the result and delighted Danny Williams got a start on the wings today. Our bench looked strong today which is another positive aspect. Looking forward to Wednesday night now after a good win that had a potential slip up.

Just got back and im jiggered

Great to have competitive football back but today felt like a friendly at times. At times we were so slow at getting the ball moving. Sure we won today but if we continue with this tika taka p1sh we'll soon get found out by the better teams. Hamilton were tripe and it will be a long season for them imo.

Deano wasnt asked to do much but did have two fine saves! The back four were faultless and the Rave made some super tackles. Draper and Tansey were solid and put in a fantastic shift. They both were my motm!! Thought Williams played well and has fairly come on as a player since we first saw him. Christie played really well, took his goal well and played some fine passes through to Billy and Marley. Billy took his goal well, it seemed to hang in the air for ages but very instinctive of him. However he missed a couple of good chances.

Vincent however is gash! Poor first touch and appeared to be wondering all over the place.

Tbh the game was desperately boring untill Marley and Doran came on then we just seemed to find space and started running at them. We created more chances in the the last 20 compared to the rest of the game.

Marley played exeptional and was unlucky not to get a goal. Imo he should start on weds ahead of Vincent! Doran however seems sluggish and well frankly, overweight. He seems to have lost his zip and maybe that is why he has been dropped? Williams to keep his place after todays good performance for sure.

Anyways still good to take all 3 points ofcourse, but i can see this style of play thwarting us when we come up against better sides than Accies tbh. Looking forward to weds though!

Today was the first chance that I've had to see ICT since the end of last season and i'm impressed by the progression being made to adapt to Yogi's philosophy and style. We started off as shown below with Vincent, Christie and Williams often moving into each other positions to give us a fluid formation. This worked a treat as the players looked comfortable moving with each other and Hamilton found it hard to pick up the players as they dragged the defenders out of their positions. The most pleasing aspect of this for me was that when we did lose the ball, we quickly regained our 4-2-3-1 shape which we know is hard to break down.

Starting formation

Brill

Raven Meekings Warren Shinnie

Draper Tansey

Vincent Christie Williams

Mckay

Meekings and Warren both seem to have developed a better understanding of what Yogi is trying to do and they were both more than happy to have the ball and pass it across the back four and at the right times, playing it into Tansey and Draper who were always dropping deep to ask for the ball. Raven and Shinnie played noticeably higher up the pitch (which suits them both) almost as wing-backs which pinned the Hamilton wingers back and allowed the centre halves time on the ball. This was particularly noticeable from goal kicks when the below formations was adopted. The ball was very rarely punted long due to Meekings and Warren splitting to the side of the box and allowing Tansey/Draper to drop deep and receive the ball. Occasionally, Christie came deep to pick up the ball with Vincent and Williams dropping inside. This allowed space for Raven and Shinnie to get up the wing.

From Goal Kicks

Brill

Meekings Tansey Warren

Raven                               Shinnie

Draper Christie

Vincent      Mckay      Williams

One of my worries with Yogi has been the lack of a 'Plan B' however, there was definitely a change of style once the subs (in particular Watkins and Doran) were brought on today. Although possession was still the main focus, the supporting three stuck to their positions, provided width and we saw the end of the inter changing positions. Although this isn't a change of formation I'd certainly class it as a 'Plan B' and it fills me with confidence that we seem to have more than one system.

Introduction of Watkins, Doran & Ross

Brill

Raven Meekings Warren Shinnie

Draper Tansey

Watkins Ross Doran

Mckay

Overall, impressive performance today but there is a long way to go and still a lot of work to be done. Hamilton were very poor today and against a stronger team we may need to raise the speed of our forward play. The key to this style of play is patience and realising that when we choose to go back to the keeper, rather than go forward, we are choosing to place a higher emphasis on possession to stop the opposition having the ball. We killed the game today by keeping the ball which worked a treat. Today was great to watch and the players looked delighted at full time and long may it continue. Top 6 and cup final is still very much achievable. Bring on Dundee  :ictscarf:

• Agree 10

I couldn't disagree more with  post #65 if I tried, but it's all about opinions I suppose. If you found that 1st half boring, I don't know where you want to watch your football, but I'd suggest it aint the SPFL. Anyways, the first half was hugely impressive and we had something around  75% of possession. Hamilton didn't know how to cope with us and couldn't have complained if we'd put 3 or 4 past them. I know, one of their Directors told me. Vincent was responsible for at least three or four break up tackles that resulted in us pouring forward with a purpose that was a joy to behold. Christie was quite brilliant in that first half and linked well with Billy. With a bit of luck he could have had a hat trick. The second half was never going to be easy to sustain the same level of threat and didn't chane until Doran and Watkins came on. Marley had their entire back 4 on toast from minute 1, and Doran very nearly won us a penalty. Overweight? think not. A great start t the season and on this display, I'd fully expect 6 points in the bag by thursday. Right, I'm off - my grandson's just woken up and I'm babysitting.

• Agree 1

Ryan Christie is undoubtadly one of the brightest prospects playing in the SPFL just now - his and Mckay's link up play today was superb. Hope we can hold on to him for a few more years. He certainly has the potential to do what Ryan Guald has done 

• Agree 1

A win, a clean sheet, 2 well taken goals, and a controlled performance. Cant ask for much more than that on the opening day.

I will admit I was disappointed Marley and Doran were dropped though while Vincent was pretty woeful on the wing I thought Danny Williams had an excellent game. Got some good crosses in and was unlucky not to score himself leading up to Ryans goal.

Was really impressed at how quickly we got at Hamilton. Christie wasted a good chance right at the start but within 10 minutes we were already ahead. Suicidal defending from Devlin but Billy was quick to react and his lob was expertly executed. Accies couldnt get the ball off us. It may not have been the most exciting but we played the game at our own temp and at times the boys seemed to make it look effortless.

The 2nd goal was well worked. Draper played a lovely ball through for Williams whos shot was saved and left Ryan Christie with the simple task of poking it over the line. 2-0 up and in total control. Redmond skied a glorious chance just before half time and then Deano made a terrific full stretch save from him just on half time.

Watkins came on 2nd half and smashed the bar and called McGovern into a great stop late one while earlier Tansey had seen a decent free kick palmed away. Accies sent on Curier who was the first player to make it in behind our back line but again Deano thwarted him with an excellent stop. 

Was really impressed with the shape today. As said we never really looked out of control. Accies were very poor and the gulf in class was clear. Mckay and Christie linked up well and Williams and Shinnie provided a potent threat on the left and Marley and Doran came on to stretch the game later on and did just that. I thought the back four looked as tight as it has looked in recent times. With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 occasions we were rarely troubled and Accies eventually resorted to desperate pot shots. 

The only worrying aspect for me today was Vincent. I feel for the guy because he is being played in a position he looks totally lost in and everyone seems to see it but his manager. The guy is much better suited to the middle of the park and he wont get any better on the wing. 

Was nice to be back in the away day swing of things. Was good fun. Looking forward to more of the same. 

No better way to start than topping the league - roll on 14/15 

• Agree 1

Always lovely to start the season with a win and away too... should lift a certain amount of pessimism that was on this site last week....However it's a long season and the Accies are probably in for a difficult one. Lets hope we can get some early momentum going from this win.

Enjoyed that. 

Great start to the season. As already mentioned, Christie stood out as a class act and clear MoM for me. 

Was late in so I missed the first goal but from what I saw, Yogi has encouraged the team to play total football even if that means consistently using Brill as an outlet.  I think if we play better pressing teams we'll play our way into trouble but you can't argue with Hughes principles. I don't like that we seemed to settle for 2-0 but the end result shows a professional performance. Job done. Top of the league and yer naw.    

Hamilton were a good first game but only because we took the sting out of them with the early goal and some good possession play.  Not a bad performance on the park from any of our boys and to bring Doran and Watkins off the bench showed we have depth in different positions.  There is definitely a good balance to the squad so I can understand why Yogi is happy with it but I would still want another striker and a young right back to keep Raven honest. 

I'd say our season will depend on whether we can keep McKay at the club and injury free.