Ryan Christie

CaleyThistle

Having spoken to Ryan's father in the past two weeks I know for a fact that his wish is for Ryan to stay and try to develop as a player at ICT over the next season or two at least. He is extremely proud that Ryan has done so well at the club but one of his main reservations is the potential 'pressure' on him from ICT fans

I hope he listens to his dad ! 

He's shown flashes of quality, but we shouldn't get carried away. There's still a long way to go.

He certainly looks to have potential, but how much of it he fulfils depends upon his work ethic.

Very few promising young Scottish players ever really manage to get there. Gary O'Conner and Derek Riordan are a couple of recent examples. They reach a certain level of lifestyle and start coasting. Remember the old saying, talent in 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration.

Hopefully Ryan stays in Inverness for at least another couple of years. His future hinges upon how many hours he spends on the training pitch and in the gym Vs nightclubs, bookies, pool halls, video gaming etc. This is Scottish footballers Achilles heel. We have a culture of low standards and low expectations.

Fortunately for us, Inverness have a good track record of developing young players. Our Spartan amenities and modest small town lifestyle seem counter-intuitively to work in our favour. Also factor in the core of solid, hard working professionals in our ranks who should serve as a positive influence on younger squad members like Ryan, rather than leading them astray (I hope!).

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Apparently January bids being considered by (According to Sky) Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9560107/transfer-news-english-sides-eye-up-inverness-starlet-ryan-christie

So not much of a story yet.

Wonder who his agent is?

Does he have one?

Apparently January bids being considered by (According to Sky) Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9560107/transfer-news-english-sides-eye-up-inverness-starlet-ryan-christie

So not much of a story yet.

Wonder who his agent is?

Does he have one? He does.

Will Glavin with Sidekick Management. @WillGlavin on Twitter.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

In paper today that celtic are eyeing him up and he's been watched by John Collins

That would make sense as I think it was John Collins that helped get Ryan into the Scotland U21 side. I do think a move to Celtic would actually benefit Ryan should it ever happen. The experience of playing in Europe and also playing in a pressured environment might just spur him onto the the next level that he's capable of. I personally think that Ronny Deila is a decent enough coach and would help Ryan's development should he get picked for the starting eleven if they are indeed going for Stuart Armstrong as well.

I do think however should Ryan get a big move this January should it be Celtic or an English premier team that we should strike a deal where Ryan can be loaned back to us for the rest of the season.

one thing for certain is that this won't do his form any good! My guess is that his Dad will advise him to stay another year here, cement a fitrst team place and then move on to get the kind of wage that he deserves. Celtic would not be everyone's cup of tea by any means - need a strong constitution to play there.....

• Agree 1

Saw Collins at the game on Saturday, but he could have been there for any number of reasons.

Wouldn't be so bad if Ryan followed in his father's footsteps - a year in Celtic reserves, followed by the rest of his career as an Inverness legend!

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...

Oh dear, looks like Christie could be away before the close of the transfer window. Swansea City, Fulham and Burnley are reported to be interested in him and going by past form we will probably play hard ball since Ryan is vital for this season's campaign, however considering he only has a year left on his contract a valuation of I've read £600,000 might be hard to pass over considering our current financial situation.

A family friend of the Chrisite,s told me he is here to the end of the season, then of to Celtic. Maybe back on loan depending on how they are doing.

Not much of a friend of the family if he or she is breaking confidences.

That went well for you bud looks like that family friend doesn't know much 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Oh dear, looks like Christie could be away before the close of the transfer window. Swansea City, Fulham and Burnley are reported to be interested in him and going by past form we will probably play hard ball since Ryan is vital for this season's campaign, however considering he only has a year left on his contract a valuation of I've read £600,000 might be hard to pass over considering our current financial situation.

Yes, it's looking more and more likely that a deal will be done this window.  Hughes here seems pretty much accepting of that, but says we'd try to get him back in on loan for the rest of the season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/john-hughes-wants-ryan-christie-back-on-loan-1-3858296

Edited by Yngwie

Was desperately hoping (for our sake) that we'd be able to hold onto Ryan for another year, during which we could extend his contract and then let him go for a substantial fee to the Barclays Prem. It sounds, however, like we might well lose him this window, which is going to hit us really hard unless some sort of deal is done with a loan back (either for Ryan himself for a year or for a proper striker). If this is going to happen, it is good news that there are a few clubs in the frame - that should force the price up to where it should be for a very talented lad.

• 2 weeks later...

'Reported' on BBC Gossip:

Celtic have launched a bid for Inverness Caledonian Thistle midfielder Ryan Christie and hope a cash offer of £500,000 with a clause to loan the 20-year-old back to their Scottish Premiership rivals for the rest of the season can secure the midfielder's signature. (Daily Star, print edition)

If it's true, can't help but think that with the current situation, we'll jump at the chance to get some cash upfront (particularly as our gates don't seem to have seen much obvious improvement this season) and Celtic will have snapped up another Scottish rising star on the cheap for next year. But if the alternative is not getting anything for Christie at the end of the season, then beggars cannot be choosers.

Certainly this is the first reporting of an actual bid that I've seen for Ryan, as opposed to just 'interest'

Given that Hughes has been pretty much whoring Christie out recently and making it very clear what kind of bid we'd prefer to receive I suspect that if an offer along those lines (money plus loan back) we'll grab it.

• Yngwie locked this topic