Motherwell -v- Inverness CT

Scotty

Well done to JH. Sounds like Watkins made the difference, which is what many were suggesting. Play guys in their correct position and it pays dividends. Williams and Watkins is the way forward for wide players, with Doran to come on - excellent! A word today for the defence: what a unit we have there.....

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 1

Our best ever result at that ground? Always good to see the team make a bit of history.

Not quite - we actually recorded a 4-1 win back in 2006/07 when a certain Richie Foran was in Motherwell's team!

Grant Munro, Ross Tokely, Craig Dargo and Rory McAllister scored our goals that day.

I can't think of many better performances I've ever seen.....by any team!  The only complaint is that the scoreline of 2-0 tells you very little.  We absolutely battered Motherwell!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Truly epic performance. I HAVE BEEN ENTERTAINED. Every first half pass found its man. We tore them apart. We played with width. More runners into box please. Otherwise what an effort.  Looks like the players may have bought into the new style. Heroes to a man. Best I have felt after a game since Easter Road semi. Many congrats to all ( inc home support who joined in generously with applause for one of our fallen (sorry I did not know his name))

This must surely cause some to doubt their premature prognosis

..........and a bad decision by Nurse Ratchett to miss this one!

• Agree 2

Fantastic performance. The players' confidence in the ball retention strategy was more apparent than it has ever been, and there was some lovely inventiveness from Watkins, Christie, Williams and Tansey in switching play and opening up opportunities. Our play rarely seemed aimless, and there was some great movement both on and off the ball when we were in possession, but perhaps the most important development from last weekend was the way the players pressed the ball when Motherwell had it - they just couldn't get started, conceded possession cheaply, and we seemed first to every loose ball. The players must have been knackered at the end of it, but it worked perfectly, and if we can do this every week then it could be another excellent season.

Looking forward to seeing the first goal, which apparently was a beauty. I was in the pie queue with TopSixNextYear...      

Truly epic performance. I HAVE BEEN ENTERTAINED. Every first half pass found its man. We tore them apart. We played with width. More runners into box please. Otherwise what an effort.  Looks like the players may have bought into the new style. Heroes to a man. Best I have felt after a game since Easter Road semi. Many congrats to all ( inc home support who joined in generously with applause for one of our fallen (sorry I did not know his name))

This must surely cause some to doubt their premature prognosis

..........and a bad decision by Nurse Ratchett to miss this one!

There's a definite erection joke in there somewhere...!!!

Fantastic performance. The players' confidence in the ball retention strategy was more apparent than it has ever been, and there was some lovely inventiveness from Watkins, Christie, Williams and Tansey in switching play and opening up opportunities. Our play rarely seemed aimless, and there was some great movement both on and off the ball when we were in possession, but perhaps the most important development from last weekend was the way the players pressed the ball when Motherwell had it - they just couldn't get started, conceded possession cheaply, and we seemed first to every loose ball. The players must have been knackered at the end of it, but it worked perfectly, and if we can do this every week then it could be another excellent season.

Looking forward to seeing the first goal, which apparently was a beauty. I was in the pie queue with TopSixNextYear...

Thank Gawd that Yogi has altered the approach.

After a pretty disappointing day (In Manchester) i am so happy to come on here and enjoy not only a win but hear how good it was. I posted in the Dundee match day thread that the ball retention style may suit us for being away than at home. Lots of people on wed said we were to slow and so struggled for space to break down a team that made itself hard to breakdown. But looking at the stats and hearing all the reports of people in attendance then this shouldn't be a problem if we can lay like that at home. With such wide dimensions at home if we could play the possession game but with quicker pace, urgency and get more men to support billy then teams will struggle to contain us with the spaces we could create. But we wont know until our next home game after Celtic because we all know that even at home it is more like an away game as we know they will have lots of possession. But i believe we can beat them even after today. I expected UTD to give them a tough challenge but i believe even though i haven't seen the game that the scoreline was more to do with Dundee Utd having a mare at the back than one of those days where Celtic are unplayable. If we can frustrate them by keeping the ball well and close them down well like today then I don't see why we cant get 3 points against a pretty weak side compared to teams they have had in the past. Roll on sat and lets show that the press were wrong to single out Aberdeen as challengers haha

Didn't see any change in overall tact....the players are just benefiting from competitive game time, growing confidence with what's being asked of them and learning when to mix it up a bit.

Fair comment. But interested to hear the "played with width" - "movement on and off the ball " - "pressing the ball when opposition have it " - and the only negative would appear to be getting support for wee Billy.

I was concerned about not using the flanks - I was concerned about the midfielders moving more backwards and sideways and wee Billy being too static. I presume that has been worked on. On that note will The Christie role also be tinkered with ? That means that Yogi has noted the flaws and has tinkered with the system. Bodes well for the future. Let's face it - any result (even a back to the wall draw) against Cellic will be an accomplishment .

What a wonderful change, nothing negative said;

So pleased for the team, manager and the real support, surely we will now see attendances increase at all our games both home and away they certainly deserve it after such acclaim.

John Hughes must be over the moon seeing his dreams starting to become reality. The feel good factor must be phenomenal in the ICT camp right now !

It is a big ask but if we can maintain this level of play and still keep improving on it there is no knowing what the resulting outcome will be in terms of building the Club's profile, wealth and stature.

:ictscarf:                                                                      :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

wow, great comment from those that were there, very encouraging and well done to the manager and the players.

I watched the Celtic game yesterday and while United were woeful I thought Celtic we very good, closing down very quickly and lots of pace. Could it be a case of both Dellia and Yogis tactics getting through to the players at the same time, if so its going to be very interesting next weekend.