Motherwell -v- Inverness CT

Scotty

Some may choke on it !............. :lol:

You seem obsessed. Is there any need to inject such negativity into what up until then had been an entirely positive thread ? These suggestions that there are fans anxious for the team to fail have become beyond tedious.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

That's 418 minutes without conceding!!

It'll be very difficult to keep Celtic quiet for a full 90 mins next week - but if we can....we'll be close to our all-time shut-out record!

Let's say we do keep a 'clean sheet' on Saturday - that will be our current 418 + 90 = 508 minutes. Tantalisingly close to our record of 513!

That was set back in 2006.

Livingston 2-1 Inverness (9)

Motherwell 0-1 Inverness (90)

Inverness 1-0 Dundee United (90)

Livingston 0-1 Inverness (90)

Inverness 2-0 Falkirk (90)

Dunfermline Athletic 0-1 Inverness (90)

Inverness 1-2 St. Mirren (54)

9+90+90+90+90+90+54 = 513

• Agree 1

Have to mention this. While I was checking the stats for the clean-sheet record, I couldn't help but be struck by the different look the SPL/Premiership has now, from 2006.

Only half the teams from then are playing in it now!!!

Teams from 2005/2006:

Aberdeen

Celtic

Dundee United

Dunfermline Athletic

Falkirk

Hearts

Hibernian

Inverness Caley Thistle

Kilmarnock

Livingston

Motherwell

Rangers

Didn't see any change in overall tact....the players are just benefiting from competitive game time, growing confidence with what's being asked of them and learning when to mix it up a bit.

Fair comment. But interested to hear the "played with width" - "movement on and off the ball " - "pressing the ball when opposition have it " - and the only negative would appear to be getting support for wee Billy.

I was concerned about not using the flanks - I was concerned about the midfielders moving more backwards and sideways and wee Billy being too static. I presume that has been worked on. On that note will The Christie role also be tinkered with ? That means that Yogi has noted the flaws and has tinkered with the system. Bodes well for the future. Let's face it - any result (even a back to the wall draw) against Cellic will be an accomplishment .

I think Yogi's biggest strength is his willingness and ability to identify what's working and what's not....and to then take that to the training ground with a view to rectifying it.

Part of the problem in trying to get Mckay on to the ball more (IMO) is that the opposition know what he's capable of and set up to neutralise him.  That's frustrating for Mckay, but it does open up opportunity elsewhere.  It's something the manager is working on changing, but I think time itself and the performances from others will play as much a part in that as anything.  Other teams will come to realise that there's goal scoring threat throughout and that they perhaps can't afford to tie up a man marking Mckay.

I don't buy into the home/away setup thing....never have.  Why do half of the opposition managers job for him by having a pre-determined way of approaching the game based on location instead of ability and opposition?  Just doesn't make any sense to me.

• Agree 2

Our best ever result at that ground? Always good to see the team make a bit of history.

Not quite - we actually recorded a 4-1 win back in 2006/07 when a certain Richie Foran was in Motherwell's team!

Grant Munro, Ross Tokely, Craig Dargo and Rory McAllister scored our goals that day.

Not quite, we beat Gretna there 4-0 in 2007/08 season  :smile: Wyness, Cowie, Wilson and McBain the scorers

I love you anoraks - thanks for the response Don - I would agree that if you get it right it should work anywhere. I have always backed Yogi and appreciate that it all takes time and the players are clearly behind him. I was getting frustrated that he did not appear to be tinkering with the system but he clearly is. One last comment about Billy. I think that he is at his best and the best for the team when he is here, there and everywhere, dragging central defenders out of position. He did appear to be stuck in a very limited, traditional centre forward role. Was that the case yesterday. .

• Agree 1

Our best ever result at that ground? Always good to see the team make a bit of history.

Not quite - we actually recorded a 4-1 win back in 2006/07 when a certain Richie Foran was in Motherwell's team!

Grant Munro, Ross Tokely, Craig Dargo and Rory McAllister scored our goals that day.

Not quite, we beat Gretna there 4-0 in 2007/08 season  :smile: Wyness, Cowie, Wilson and McBain the scorers

Good call! Anorakism at its finest! :laugh:

Best result doesn't mean biggest winning margin though!

Personally I think our best result there was 1-0 in the cup when we were in division 1, with Barry Wilson's magnificant 60 yarder.

I agree, to an extent! The win back the certainly seems 'relatively' better.

But...there has to be a 'definition'...and in football, it's goals!

For example, our 'worst ever' home result in our history is the horrible 0-5 to Dundee United. Yet, if we were knocked out of the Scottish Cup this year at home to Rothes, 1-0, that would clearly be our worst ever! But the record books - every single one, on every football database, would show the Dundee United game as our 'worst'.

There has to be a standard. No big deal. It's universal across all football clubs at all levels.

I love you anoraks - thanks for the response Don - I would agree that if you get it right it should work anywhere. I have always backed Yogi and appreciate that it all takes time and the players are clearly behind him. I was getting frustrated that he did not appear to be tinkering with the system but he clearly is. One last comment about Billy. I think that he is at his best and the best for the team when he is here, there and everywhere, dragging central defenders out of position. He did appear to be stuck in a very limited, traditional centre forward role. Was that the case yesterday. .

We did have a few games towards end of last season where Mckay seemed to be under instruction to stay pushed forward....but think that was as much a part of the transition as anything else and done to try and encourage the midfield and wider players to do the pushing instead.

When trying to explain myself to people (as to why I've remained so positive) I use the analogy of a metal worker who, when bending cold steel, has to push it beyond the final position because when you release the tension it will naturally spring back a bit.  Yogi has been doing that with the team....pushing them to over-play the "tippy tappy" football throughout pre-season knowing that when it came crunch time and he removed the shackles the team would naturally spring back and naturally re-introduce more of what we already know they're good at to the overall mix of play......and that includes Mckay getting here, there and everywhere.

Like the metal, it'll need some final fettling and it'll pick up a few dents and dings along the way which will need worked out.....but early indications are that Yogi has successfully re-crafted the team.  Only time will tell whether or not they're worthy of some silver plating....I'm confident they are.

• Agree 4

We might be getting Celtic at a good time given all the uncertainty surrounding their European travails this week.

Best case scenario would be them getting put into the Europa League and going to Kahzakhstan instead of Slovenia. It would mean our game getting changed to Sunday though again.

We did have a few games towards end of last season where Mckay seemed to be under instruction to stay pushed forward....but think that was as much a part of the transition as anything else and done to try and encourage the midfield and wider players to do the pushing instead.

When trying to explain myself to people (as to why I've remained so positive) I use the analogy of a metal worker who, when bending cold steel, has to push it beyond the final position because when you release the tension it will naturally spring back a bit.  Yogi has been doing that with the team....pushing them to over-play the "tippy tappy" football throughout pre-season knowing that when it came crunch time and he removed the shackles the team would naturally spring back and naturally re-introduce more of what we already know they're good at to the overall mix of play......and that includes Mckay getting here, there and everywhere.

Like the metal, it'll need some final fettling and it'll pick up a few dents and dings along the way which will need worked out.....but early indications are that Yogi has successfully re-crafted the team.  Only time will tell whether or not they're worthy of some silver plating....I'm confident they are.

I thought Motherwell were the Steelmen ?

There's no chance of Celtic getting made to play in Kazakhstan at such short notice!

I doubt the European Court will rule in Legia Warsaw's favour, anyway.

But, if they do overturn UEFA's decision, and Celtic are suddenly forced into the Europa League play-offs, I think they'd be well within their rights to seek a postponement.

Celtic have done nothing wrong. Their 'crime' was being outclassed over 2 games by a superior opponent who inadvertently broke the rules. i.e. cheated!

I despise Celtic as much as everybody else - they're an odious club - built on bigotry and rooted in family histories of sectarianism, prejudice and frankly, scum.

Nobody can dispute that.

But to be fair, they have earned their right to be having a crack at Maribor and a place at the top table of European football. It does us all a great service!

I remember the days of Scottish clubs commanding 5 and even 6 places in Europe. We have finished 4th and 5th the last 2 seasons, Ordinarily, we'd have been in Europe - but we're all guilty of taking glee in our 'rivals' stumbling in Europe. We must wish Celtic well in Europe, for our own future good.

I'd love us to beat them at the weekend, though! Although it matters little in the title 'race' whether we beat them or not on Saturday.

I thought Motherwell were the Steelmen ?

I guess that makes us the Plasma Cutters

• Agree 1

There's no chance of Celtic getting made to play in Kazakhstan at such short notice!

But, if they do overturn UEFA's decision, and Celtic are suddenly forced into the Europa League play-offs, I think they'd be well within their rights to seek a postponement.

Celtic have done nothing wrong. Their 'crime' was being outclassed over 2 games by a superior opponent who inadvertently broke the rules. i.e. cheated!

I despise Celtic as much as everybody else - they're an odious club - built on bigotry and rooted in family histories of sectarianism, prejudice and frankly, scum.

Nobody can dispute that.

But to be fair, they have earned their right to be having a crack at Maribor and a place at the top table of European football. It does us all a great service!

I remember the days of Scottish clubs commanding 5 and even 6 places in Europe. We have finished 4th and 5th the last 2 seasons, Ordinarily, we'd have been in Europe - but we're all guilty of taking glee in our 'rivals' stumbling in Europe. We must wish Celtic well in Europe, for our own future good.

I'd love us to beat them at the weekend, though! Although it matters little in the title 'race' whether we beat them or not on Saturday.

I must admit when celtic beat barca I was grinning from ear to ear mostly because it raised the image of scottish football and the fact we were playing them a few days later...

for those who don't remember we won :ictscarf:

(I am hoping Scotland can do the same against germany :tongueincheek: )

Edited by Ayeseetee

I despise Celtic as much as everybody else - they're an odious club - built on bigotry and rooted in family histories of sectarianism, prejudice and frankly, scum.

Nobody can dispute that.

But to be fair, they have earned their right to be having a crack at Maribor and a place at the top table of European football. It does us all a great service!

I remember the days of Scottish clubs commanding 5 and even 6 places in Europe. We have finished 4th and 5th the last 2 seasons, Ordinarily, we'd have been in Europe - but we're all guilty of taking glee in our 'rivals' stumbling in Europe. We must wish Celtic well in Europe, for our own future good.

I read on the STV report that CAS could either postpone the Maribor vs Celtic or Legia takes the place back from Celtic but doesn't explain much about the Europa League should the latter be the outcome.

IIRC when Celtic got back into the Europa League when Sion had the 5 players ineligible which that was taken to CAS the outcome wasn't made until December that year.

Champions League for Celtic = £££ for Scotish Football but in my opinion even if Celtic were put into the Europa League, they have better chance of getting say the finals than in the Champions League.

Edited by ICTRoughi