Managers We Never Had...

Renegade

Kenny Shiels is IMO the biggest lucky escape we've ever had.

Chris Sutton filled me with no confidence whatsoever as well.

I understand the Malpas comments but feel it may just have worked in much the same way as others have thrived with us despite having patchy records elsewhere (Judas and Yogi for example).

Did I ever mention that I would've quite liked Paul Sturrock at ICT?!  :tongue:

Once or twice, Beastie! :lol:

I hope he doesn't 'drift' out the game. Management's a funny business, in that, when your stock is high, jobs come easily. But, if you're away from a position for a while, your name tends to get forgotten. I see McLeish was coming into this category and has had to take a job far lower down than he would have liked - to try to stay relevant, if you like!

Genk!?

Jimmy Calderwood's a manager I rate - but he's maybe now been 'away' too long to be risked by most chairman. Cut-throat business!

Was Jim Duffy not mentioned when Brewster left? Not sure if he was a serious contender though. A lucky escape most definately if he was...

Really trying to think who was in contention along with Robbo in 02, anyone remember?

Edited by ForzaCaley

From The Herald 2002

"Robertson is believed to have beaten off the challenge of Peterhead's Ian Wilson and Queen of the South's John Connelly to the job after Aston Villa's Kevin MacDonald dropped out of the race."

Source: The Herald - 27/12/2002

glad we went with robbo then, couldn't see any of those candidates doing as well.

Kevin MacDonald would be a good for us I reckon.  The other two don't seem very exciting though.

From what I remember as well, Csaba Laszlow was the first to apply for the job when Butcher went.  I think he'd have done a reasonable job, but the football would've been as boring as anything to watch.

From The Herald 2002

"Robertson is believed to have beaten off the challenge of Peterhead's Ian Wilson and Queen of the South's John Connelly to the job after Aston Villa's Kevin MacDonald dropped out of the race."

Source: The Herald - 27/12/2002

glad we went with robbo then, couldn't see any of those candidates doing as well.

They probably weren't the only ones in the frame but that was the only article that I found.

Strangely I cannot remember any of the names that would have been mentioned.

Been linked a couple of times but was only interviewed for it in 2004 I think.

Does anyone else remember the ex-Millwall manager Willie Donachie wanting it when Brewster was sacked? 

The Highland News linked Henrik Larsson with it last time as well.

The Warnock thing was a PR stunt ..... He needed/wanted people to know he was in the market for a job and we were looking for high calibre candidates for ICT .. it served both parties well but no way was Warnock ever coming now or later.

Well he is managing a team in Red/Blue now .... just announced as new Crystal Palace boss !!!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28951487

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone remember who else was linked when Baltacha left?  I believe Pele was on the radar for a while, but was anyone else linked?

I can only ever remember Paterson being the only name in the frame! I think we pretty much had our sights set on Pele and he was going to be the one. I don't think Huntly welcomed our approach as they were hugely successful under Paterson - but he wanted to come here - and that was that!

According to this months programme, the ex-Blackburn and Fulham manager Don Mackay was in the running along with the Pele.  Got Dundee promoted about a decade before that and later went on to manage Airdrieonians.  Might have been an interesting choice actually.

Also, I think Malpas applied for it when Butcher got it.  That would make him as applied at least twice for the job and turn it down when he was finally offered it years later!

Also, was Ian McCall not strongly linked with us once when he was at Partick?  Don't think I'd have fancied him getting it to be honest.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

I see Billy McKinley who applied for the job when Butcher left, is the new head coach at Watford.

Apparently he's leaving Watford after only eight games in charge!  

Also, I have some recollection of Billy Dods being linked.  I can't remember if it was when Butcher went or when Brewster was sacked.  No way on him though!

I see Billy McKinley who applied for the job when Butcher left, is the new head coach at Watford.

Apparently he's leaving Watford after only eight games in charge!  

Gone after 8 days, not even 8 games!