Inverness CT -V- Celtic

gordieict

Gutted I missed this, but good reason: supporting an ICT youth team. Fantastic result and performance by all. Well done John Hughes - mmmmmmmmm, this humble pie is gooooood! League table is just the way it should be

• Agree 1

Why are we going into matches with only six on the bench by the way? Surely there'd be no harm including Ferguson (who I was very impressed with in pre-season) or Brown or Sutherland? Even putting MacKay as a second keeper on there would be better than nothing I'd have thought.

"Weakened Celtic side" according to the BBC news moments ago - get away, give us the credit that we are due.

You can only beat what is put in front of you......and we did! Heard CBBC (Central Belt Broadcasting Corporation) waxing lyrical about Hamilton today (small club, no budget, playing good football, punching above weight etc). Maybe fair, but sounded like a description of a more northerly, table-topping team to me!

• Agree 2

3 points is 3 points. Weakened team or not.

Points mean prizes in the end not what team is out on the day.

Cracking game and long may the play continue.

Agreed that the last third needs a wee bit more in terms of shots/goals but happy to get 3 points playing like that.

Terrific result!  Watched the first half on the telly down here and we looked pretty good...Watkins especially, and surprisely Billy didn't look so isolated as in some recent games. Looks like the team are buying into Yogi's style of play, a few more wins like this and we can be pretty sure we should be safe for another season!

BTW great to see the surfer flag laid out in the main stand

Didn't see the second half as I had to go and watch a car crash! (Palace)

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Agree 1

Terrific result!  Watched the first half on the telly down here and we looked pretty good...Watkins especially, and surprisely Billy didn't look so isolated as in some recent games. Looks like the team are buying into Yogi's style of play, a few more wins like this and we can be pretty sure we should be safe for another season!

It would have been good to get the two flags out but I believe Celtic usually get the opposite end too.

That was the one thing "missing" from my perspective yesterday. I can understand the ploy but still think that it does not bring out the best in wee Billy. It does however fit the system and probably brings out the best in Christie. Billy is not being played as the runabout chaser. He is being played to "poach" and sit on the last defender.

Just finished watching the match on BT Sport, must admit first off i'm gutted i missed it cause of work. Our tempo was really high and we moved the ball around fantastically and it was like we stepped up 5 gears compared to the dundee  match. Our players showed so much more fight than celtic and the result was deserved if anything we should have scored more.

Dean Brill: Fantastic performance he may not have been needed much over the first 3 games but yesterday without him we could have conceded so many goals he would have to be my MOTM.

David Raven: Raven is someone who i thought this season might struggle a wee bit, his pace was something i wondered would he be good enough for this season but i was really impressed, he made the last man challenge fantastically, could easily have been MOTM 

Gary Warren/Josh Meekings: Both very solid at the back as we always expect if we can keep them two together who knows how long we could go before conceding 

Graeme Shinnie: Did well today bombing down the wing and putting crosses in,looking forward too seeing how he develops and hopefully Strachen sees how good he is.

Ross Draper: He looked really good in breaking down celtic's attack, he is the sort of player that we need to make sure plays most games he has that presence infront of the defence with how big he is yet he was able to mug off a celtic player using skill which you don't often see from him.

Greg Tansey: Did well in opening up the cracks in celtic's defence with the way he was pinging the ball around the pitch.

Marley Watkins: What a player we have in watkins we saw last season against c*unty what he can do and we saw it yesterday, the way he got past celtic's defence was effortless, while still being able to hit first time crosses into the box. Even with all this attacking qualities at time when needed he was back helping out in defence, could easily had been MOTM

Danny Williams: Did really aswell on wing tore celtiic's RB apart with darting past him all the time, another player who i feel in the right guidance could shine this season.

Ryan Christie: Ryan where do I start with him, well first it was a clear penalty the celtic boy took Ryan by the ankle. He is going to be really special this season so far this season he has been one of our best players and long may that continue.

Billy McKay: Well typical Billy just making himself a problem to the defence by getting in the way and causing all sorts of problems which led to us scoring.

Nick Ross/ Liam Polworth: Can't comment too much on them with them only playing around 10 minutes but Nicky had a good chance near the end of the game which he should probably had scored. Liam took the corners really well apart from that nothing much happened.

Aaron Doran: Well i think he is still not starting cause he is not ft enough yet which at the end of the day, an't say right now we are missing him

Overall fantastic performance from the lads deserved the win onto killie away which will be another good game for our players with them using the artificial turf.

:ictscarf:  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:

Edited by caleydawson
  • Agree 1

I hope the humble pie I am eating at the moment is big enough to last me to the end of the season. Yesterday's performance was as good as I've seen for a long time. Solid, effective and at times very pleasing on the eye. The fact that 4 different M.O.M's have been given in different quaters of the media shows it was impressive all round. Mmm I'm hungry for more!! 

Edited by Big G
  • Agree 3

Is it possible that we overseas wallahs can see some video somewhere?

The BBC won't allow us to see their stuff since we are not in the U K and our UTube seems not to be showing any of our matches this season.  After the pre-season videos what has happened? --change of plans in this respect perhaps? :sad:

Is it possible that we overseas wallahs can see some video somewhere?

The BBC won't allow us to see their stuff since we are not in the U K and our UTube seems not to be showing any of our matches this season.  After the pre-season videos what has happened? --change of plans in this respect perhaps? :sad:

Just been busy and not had a chance to pull through the highlights from the SPFL YouTube Channel.

Take a look on https://www.youtube.com/spfl

• Agree 1

Thank you Don, much obliged.

So impressed by this team. My oh my!  This team , on this display, has John Hughes needing  to be commended!.

ICT has everything a fan could want.

Plays like confident champions. Fit as fiddles,. Sharp as tacks. Urgency evident at all times.

Verve and determination on dsiplay with every pass. And some very skilled players.

Killie next week will be a test they play hard and have skill and you can see  the determination in the team also. Could be quite a match. have to put them away early I think.

The Dons-sluggish and looking more like carthorses than thoroughbreds.

Motherwell got something but kinda losing it a little. Bit slow on the takeoff -taking too much time to think I fear.

Partick no, not this year anyway.

Hamilton. coming on strong and also has determination and pace 

And poor old Hibs.  Where is TB when you need him?

Thinks: Where is terry B. anyway?

• Agree 1

I really enjoyed the game and thought we played some great stuff at times.  It is great to be top of the league without having conceded - but let's not get too carried away just yet.

It is easy to be blinkered by the good stuff but I thought Yogi got it spot on with his post match comments about us riding our luck a bit.  Celtic hit the woodwork and Brill was by far the busier of the two keepers, indeed, the fact that so many here have marked Brill out for particular praise reflects the fact that on another day we might well have lost that game by 2 or 3.  This, remember, against a severely weakened Celtic side with lots of guys probably playing together for the first time in a competitive game.  By contrast we have a settled team from last year which clearly has a good understanding between them.  It was also the same team that received significant criticism after a disappointing draw against Dundee a couple of weeks ago.

Several fans expressed concerns following a run of disappointing performances at the end of last season and were criticised for not giving Hughes time.  Now we have just a couple of decent performances and that, apparently is enough for large quantities on humble pie to be eaten!  Let's enjoy the win by all means but let us also have some perspective here.  Last season we got off to a flier because we had a settled squad.  The same is true this year but other teams will get better as their re-shaped teams begin to gel.  Let's judge Yogi on where we are at the end of the season and not on where we are just 4 games in.  There were some encouraging signs on Saturday, but it is still very much work in progress.

• Agree 2

I really enjoyed the game and thought we played some great stuff at times.  It is great to be top of the league without having conceded - but let's not get too carried away just yet.

It is easy to be blinkered by the good stuff but I thought Yogi got it spot on with his post match comments about us riding our luck a bit.  Celtic hit the woodwork and Brill was by far the busier of the two keepers, indeed, the fact that so many here have marked Brill out for particular praise reflects the fact that on another day we might well have lost that game by 2 or 3.  This, remember, against a severely weakened Celtic side with lots of guys probably playing together for the first time in a competitive game.  By contrast we have a settled team from last year which clearly has a good understanding between them.  It was also the same team that received significant criticism after a disappointing draw against Dundee a couple of weeks ago.

Several fans expressed concerns following a run of disappointing performances at the end of last season and were criticised for not giving Hughes time.  Now we have just a couple of decent performances and that, apparently is enough for large quantities on humble pie to be eaten!  Let's enjoy the win by all means but let us also have some perspective here.  Last season we got off to a flier because we had a settled squad.  The same is true this year but other teams will get better as their re-shaped teams begin to gel.  Let's judge Yogi on where we are at the end of the season and not on where we are just 4 games in.  There were some encouraging signs on Saturday, but it is still very much work in progress.

I don't like to disagree dad, but I'm not having this. Mulgrew, Commons and Griffiths are all established Scotland players. Ambrose was at the world cup, Zaluskas, Pukki, Bitton and Johansen have all played for their countries. Even one of the subs (MacGregor) has just got a call up so this was no "severely weakened" team. Celtic have a massive squad who I presume train together day in day out in various permutations. In the second half, we passed them off the park. Not my point of view but that of a significant portion of the media - usually grudging in their praise who are recognising that the style of play, regardless of the manager, is attractive and beginning to show signs of being successful. If you think that this is as good as it gets because that's where we are settled at and others will progress as far can I suggest that this team are still learning, we have Foran to return if required and we will improve. Perhaps you recognise this point in your final sentence, but they seem opposing points of view. You are correct in saying that Brill was excellent, but had we converted chances from Tansey, Ross and Christie (all of which were narrowly missed) and got a stonewall penalty in the first half, your score analysis would have been turned on it's head.

There was criticism of the performance against Dundee, but I'm not sure that you can call it significant. We drew against a team that set out to defend for 80 odd minutes and did so very well. We didn't lose the game and had the lions share of pressure. The only thing lacking in the performance was a goal. Is that worthy of "significant" criticism?

On the subject of eating humble pie, does that really need to be done? We are all ICT fans here. Sure Hughes was "given time" by some last year and this years judgement point seems to be slipping from October to Christmas to the end of the season, which is where it should have been all along. Even if we lose to Kilmarnock on Saturday, my personal viewpoint won't change. It certainly won't change any more than it did about Butcher's team that was dismantled by St. Johnstone at a similar time of last season, although that display showed how tactically limited we were at the time and was more worthy of concern than any result this season.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game, so did I. However, I wish that more than 5600 or so had enjoyed it. We (the regulars, the committed fans etc.) need to be shouting this from the rafters to get more bodies into the stadium to get behind the team, bolster the finances and allow us to kick on. One final point, remember the last time we played a "weakened" Celtic team - we got cuffed because we didn't have the belief that we could beat them. Sure do now.

• Agree 8

I don't like to disagree dad, but I'm not having this. Mulgrew, Commons and Griffiths are all established Scotland players. Ambrose was at the world cup, Zaluskas, Pukki, Bitton and Johansen have all played for their countries. Even one of the subs (MacGregor) has just got a call up so this was no "severely weakened" team. Celtic have a massive squad who I presume train together day in day out in various permutations. In the second half, we passed them off the park. Not my point of view but that of a significant portion of the media - usually grudging in their praise who are recognising that the style of play, regardless of the manager, is attractive and beginning to show signs of being successful. If you think that this is as good as it gets because that's where we are settled at and others will progress as far can I suggest that this team are still learning, we have Foran to return if required and we will improve. Perhaps you recognise this point in your final sentence, but they seem opposing points of view. You are correct in saying that Brill was excellent, but had we converted chances from Tansey, Ross and Christie (all of which were narrowly missed) and got a stonewall penalty in the first half, your score analysis would have been turned on it's head.

There was criticism of the performance against Dundee, but I'm not sure that you can call it significant. We drew against a team that set out to defend for 80 odd minutes and did so very well. We didn't lose the game and had the lions share of pressure. The only thing lacking in the performance was a goal. Is that worthy of "significant" criticism?

On the subject of eating humble pie, does that really need to be done? We are all ICT fans here. Sure Hughes was "given time" by some last year and this years judgement point seems to be slipping from October to Christmas to the end of the season, which is where it should have been all along. Even if we lose to Kilmarnock on Saturday, my personal viewpoint won't change. It certainly won't change any more than it did about Butcher's team that was dismantled by St. Johnstone at a similar time of last season, although that display showed how tactically limited we were at the time and was more worthy of concern than any result this season.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game, so did I. However, I wish that more than 5600 or so had enjoyed it. We (the regulars, the committed fans etc.) need to be shouting this from the rafters to get more bodies into the stadium to get behind the team, bolster the finances and allow us to kick on. One final point, remember the last time we played a "weakened" Celtic team - we got cuffed because we didn't have the belief that we could beat them. Sure do now.

What he said.