Christie call up...

RossP

Billy Stark today confirmed his Scotland Under-21 squad for next month’s European Championship qualifiers away to Slovakia and Luxembourg.

The fixtures are the final two of the campaign and features call-ups for Reading’s Dominic Hyam and Sporting Club de Portugal’s Ryan Gauld. Ryan Christie has been rewarded for a fine start to the season with Scottish Premiership leaders Inverness Caledonian Thistle, whilst Sam Nicholson of Heart of Midlothian has also been included for the first time.

Goalkeepers

Jordan Archer (Tottenham Hotspur*)

Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)

Jonathan Henly (Reading)

Defenders

Stuart Findlay (Celtic)

Marcus Fraser (Celtic)

Stephen Hendrie (Hamilton Academical)

Dominic Hyam (Reading)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Jordan McGhee (Heart of Midlothian)

Clark Robertson (Aberdeen)

Midfielder

Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)

Ryan Gauld (Sporting Clube de Portugal)

Lewis Macleod (Rangers)

John McGinn (St Mirren)

Craig Slater (Kilmarnock)

Forwards

Ryan Christie (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)

Stevie May (Sheffield Wednesday)

Sam Nicholson (Heart of Midlothian)

* On loan at Northampton Town

• Agree 4

Shinnie and Ross have played for Scotland U21s - Ross even grabbed a goal in 2010 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/9258635.stm)

Polworth played for Scotland U16 and extensively at U17 level I seem to recall.

Billy McKay is a current NI international.

Garry Warren captained a British University select team at a tournament abroad I think!?

Always an accolade for the club for players to receive international recognition.

12th Man's query included 'plus subs' - so Ryan Esson could be included!

Two others, who played U21s are Richie Foran and Daniel Devine - although obviously neither were involved on Saturday.

Merited inclusion in the squad for Christie, definitely one of the brightest prospects in Scotland at the moment, hopefully he can get game time and push on from there

Hopefully his team-mate Shinnie will get the recognition he deserves in the full squad as well

• Agree 2

Well done Ryan a well deserved feather in your cap, wont be long before that wee blonde guy comes knocking.

I agree and genuinely think Ryan Christie will wear full Scotland honours one day - but it's probably way too soon. He only made his club debut 8 months ago.

Strachan needs to be picking Shinnie for the next friendly game and trying him out. He would absolutely not be out of place.

That is a strong u21s squad.. nice to see that the selection is not relying on Celtic and Rangers youth squads

We might be starting to see the benefits of lack of funding within Scotland and teams relying on home grown players. 

Christie looks a cut above the normal "young prospect" though... just hope to his form continues 

Well done Ryan a well deserved feather in your cap, wont be long before that wee blonde guy comes knocking.

I don't think Motherwell will give McCall the funds for a bid for Christie....

Well done to him, to make what is a really strong selection which looks promising for the future 

I hope so - the fortunes of the U21s has largely mirrored that of the Scottish national team in recent times - very poor.

Isn't that wee blonde guy a ginger?

Aye that one is ginger bred I believe but its the other wee nyaff I was thinking about....... :lol:

Motherwell don't have the funds to be bidding for anyone....was an article over the summer saying they were looking at a £400,000 shortfall for this season.  Any wonder Dempster jumped ship?

Motherwell don't have the funds to be bidding for anyone....was an article over the summer saying they were looking at a £400,000 shortfall for this season.  Any wonder Dempster jumped ship?

They definitely don't have cash available. It was just my attempt at identifying a different 'wee blonde guy' than the obvious one...

Always an accolade for the club for players to receive international recognition.

Two others, who played U21s are Richie Foran and Daniel Devine - although obviously neither were involved on Saturday.

James Vincent has been capped for England C and I think Raven has some English youth caps as well.  Seem to remember talk of Vincent switching to Northern Ireland but he wasn't eligible.

James Vincent has been capped for England C and I think Raven has some English youth caps as well.  Seem to remember talk of Vincent switching to Northern Ireland but he wasn't eligible.

The James Vincent for Northern Ireland thing was an in-joke which The Sun (I think) ran with :lol: