Dunain House

Kingsmills

Yeah, I just read that a moment ago. Very sad. I'd forgotten it recently had a fire (last year) - but it seems this time it's beyond saving. I just hope it wasn't arson, although I shouldn't speculate until investigations are carried out.

Sorry to learn that Dunain House which for many years was an annex to Craig Dunain Hospital used mainly for the treatment of alcoholics and the 'better class' of Highland psychiatric patients was consumed by fire and effectively razed to the ground last night.

You may wish to rephrase that sentence. Not all alcoholics were the better class of Highland psychiatric patients. The wealthy neurotics preceeded the motivated, affluent drinkers who had passed the "assessment" in the Ward 11 drying out area !!

• 4 months later...

Sorry to learn that Dunain House which for many years was an annex to Craig Dunain Hospital used mainly for the treatment of alcoholics and the 'better class' of Highland psychiatric patients was consumed by fire and effectively razed to the ground last night.

Dunain House wasn't only used for the treatment of those with alcohol problems and the "better class". It was also used for poor souls who were very much working class and suffered from severe depression. They did a very good job too! 

One of the view from the demolished Craig but can still see ma old hoose

Remember getting showered in the old "West Ward" after footie on the Craig pitch! Some really poor souls in there at that time. 

Edited by caleyboy

I remember it well.  I think it was originally built as an isolation hospital and the balconies you can see in the picture would allow patients to sit out in the fresh air which was seen to be the best cure for TB before all the antibiotics arrived on the scene.  Laterly it was still used for infectious diseases but also for more general chest conditions.  There were actually 5 wards at Culduthel.  I can't recall whether the building in the photo only held the chest/infectious diseases ward or whether a general medicical ward was also in that block.  Anyway, that block was divided into wards 4 and 5.  Elsewhere on site were two care of the elderly wards and the dermatology ward.  All changed when the new Raigmore was opened.

Also on site behind the old admin buiding you can just see was a staff accommodation block.  That was where I stayed for a year when I first moved to Inverness. As far as isolation is concerned, the Matron did try to keep the female staff isolated from the male staff - but failed miserably I'm pleased to say.

I remember when I was a young kid visiting Culduthel hospital to see my uncle who was suffering from pneumonia I think. I had to wave to him from outside at a window as no one was allowed inside to visit. He survived but it was 50/50 if you made it out of there in those days