Dunain House

Kingsmills

Never mind the Grand National - what about the Craig Dunain Races ?

To split hairs, these horse racing events too place at "Dunain" which is roughly between Dunain House and the Canal maybe a couple of miles south of the Torven Bridge. In fact, I do believe I can see a sliver of Craig Dunain on the left of the photo. Some of it is overgrown now, but there used to be quite a large expanse of flat, open land there. It was good for horse racing which went back at least to the early 19th century, and I do believe that equine activities still take place in that area.

Back in the 1830s a bizarre gathering was held at Dunain where the events included a cross country race for naked men and pulling the legs off a live cow which had been stunned by a blow to the head with a sledgehammer.

Some people are rather embarrassed at a completely vacuous attempt by the current organisers of the Inverness Highland Games to trace its origins of that back to this cringeworthy assembly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...