The Biggest Derby for years in the FA Cup

In a way Bradford City would have been several bridges to far for Chorley

Chorley when I was around 47 years of age, entertained Bury on their own pitch. ( Should have been moved to Preston).

Anyway at the time I was lecturing at the Fire Service College at Euxron Chorley. I was unable to get a ticket for the match. Did eventually using my Fire Brigade connections get one for the Chorley end. I had enough sense to go there incognito and not cheer. As I approached the ground a burly policeman checked my ticket and searched me. That was my first experience of a situation which is now common in football.

I remember the game not because Bury lost to a team 4 Divisions below them, but because it was my first experience of disgusting racist behaviour. In fairness to the Chorley fans, these guys where from Preston.

The Bury side had 3 black players. The most notable was ex Man City great centre Forward Tony Cunningham. Who was drafted in at the last minute to play Centre half. The normal centre back was injured in the warm up.

Throughout the game these fans standing just to the side of me, had on arm raised high in a Nazi salute chanting " shoot the Nigger", Ronnie Mauge also came in for a lot of stick because his marriage had broken up recently. I mentioned it to a policeman at half time that this behaviour was not nice, he was a young lad and he wasn't prepared to take them on, using the sticks and stones adage as his defence,

I will never forget that game as long as I live.

Edited by Laurence

Thrashed 5-0 and guess who got sent off ?!!

Did James Dean see red?!

Interestingly, our former defender, Steve Williams was an unused sub in the replay, but did play the first game before being subbed.

Chorley can 'concentrate' on the league now - try and get into the play-offs!

As I approached the ground a burly policeman checked my ticket and searched me. That was my first experience of a situation which is now common in football.

That's why you moved up here though eh? 

• 3 weeks later...

As I approached the ground a burly policeman checked my ticket and searched me. That was my first experience of a situation which is now common in football.

That's why you moved up here though eh? 

photo-thumb-5327.jpg?_r=1415033992

Edited by Laurence