Inverness CT v Dundee Utd

RossP

Great three points but we need to get into the habit of putting teams away. A lot of chances went abegging and I lost count of the number of times players, especially Billy slipped on their arses. Should have won comfortably but ended up holding them off albeit fairly comfortably. Somebody will get a doing one day, let's hope it happens soon.

Next week will do for me as long as it is not us!

we can use this as matchday thread ..... I am unable to do the updates today as I will be at the game :smile:

Bit of a dodgy goal for the Revs tonight. It appeared the linesman put his flag up for offside, the Toronto team stopped and Nguyen shot anyway and it stood.

This sounds like a well earned win, can't wait to see the highlights! Good that Vincent is back, and playing in his best position!

We seem to have a very strong midfield and with Watkins, Doran and Christie some creative spark as well. Billy is going to start scoring for fun soon, as the opposition more and more have to contain Watkins and Christie...Good to have Ibra on the bench though.  Our bench yesterday looked to be the strongest we have had for a while, which bodes well for a good long run.

Edited by Eagle4Caley

The scoreline flattered Dundee United.  Apart from a brief opening salvo from them, which led to Erskine hitting the post, they looked disjointed and created very little.  That was mostly down to our midfield.  Draper's muscle and Vincent's tremendous industry meant we had control of the middle of the pitch all day long, and that meant that Tansey could spray passes to his heart's content.  The three of them were absolutely brilliant.

Huge credit to the boss today, who tinkered with the tactics.  Watkins played so far forward that he was effectively alongside Mckay.  The midfield was so narrow that often it looked like a diamond, with Draper at the back and Vincent at the front - and it worked because Hughes knew United's full-backs would be rubbish going forward.  It was amusing how we kept goading them to pass to Sean Dillon, safe in the knowledge that he wouldn't threaten us.  In contrast, Raven and Shinnie were great going forward, particularly the latter.

Given that Meekings hit the post, and that Mckay, Watkins and Vincent all wasted one on ones, we should have thumped them. A great effort.

• Agree 6

The whole team performed well and gave the most solid and consistent dispIay at home this season.  There were a number of players who gave man of the match performances in addition to Watkins such as Tansey, Shinnie and Raven etc.  The defence were really effective in shutting down United and the midfield controlled much of the play. A big 3 points and a nice way to finish the first quarter of games.

• Agree 1

It will be interesting to see how the game gets cut down to 5 mins for tv.

The only way to properly enjoy it is to be there.

Really enjoyable to watch

I also heard that the bar had nearly 200 in it at closing time before ko. Just goes to show how popular it is.

Edited by 12th Man

Really enjoyed yesterday, thought the whole team played well and we dominated after a short 5-10 minute opening spell from DU, which was a surprise as i thought it was only a matter of time before they had their turn in the ascendancy but it never came. It's hard to single out any of the lads when they all had such good games but for me, Watkins was deserving of his Motm. Was great to see Vincent back and performing so well too. 

On this performance against quality opposition we can take on anyone with confidence. Confidence, which Yogi has brought to the players, can win us games we used to draw or lose. Magic!!!!

Totally agree. Onward and upward!

I loved the two men that vaulted over the seats to run half way down the stand to shout abuse at him for doing that until they got half way down realised he was long gone and slunk back to their seats :laugh:

Whilst on the subject of Shinnie, I wonder what his brother must be thinking?  Sitting on the bench at St Andrew's watching his team slip into the Championship by getting thrashed 8 - 0 whilst the team he left go joint top of the Scottish Premiership.

Whilst earning four times his brother's income.

As far as the game is concerned, we played well in a difficult swirling wind but should have put the game to bed well before the end.

A sharp and confident Billy would have put away at least two of the gilt edged chances he had yesterday. I wonder if a rest from the first team and a couple of games restoring his confidence and his regaining his scoring boots in the Development League would benefit both him and the team in the long term. I thought Marley was outstanding yesterday.

• Agree 1

I really enjoyed watching that yesterday. 

Despite a few early chances, Dundee United were hardly in the game, and that's thanks to the back 4 - Meekings and Warren in particular - as well as Draper and Tansey's terrific shielding of the defence. And what about Tansey's array of passing yesterday…ooft.

James VIncent was back to the old James Vincent of the beginning of last season, just shows what he can do when played in his natural position. 

Williams was quiet yesterday but did a job but what about Marley Watkins? Simply sublime. Don't think there was a blade of grass he didn't cover yesterday, such an improved player compared to last season. 

Wee Billy had a few chances yesterday but it just isn't falling for him at the minute, but he's too good a striker for that to continue for much longer…think it's more of a confidence issue. 

Looking ahead to next week, I'd be inclined to stick with the same team as yesterday. Vincent cannot be dropped after that display, and I can't see where else Christie would fit in. He also provides greater defensive cover and that will obviously be needed at CP. 

All in all a fantastic performance yesterday - joint top of the table going into November - cant complain!

• Agree 1

Looking ahead to next week, I'd be inclined to stick with the same team as yesterday. Vincent cannot be dropped after that display, and I can't see where else Christie would fit in. He also provides greater defensive cover and that will obviously be needed at CP. 

You could always take Williams out and put Christie wide left.  He played there in the second half against County and I actually thought he looked better there than he does in the centre.  As you say, Williams was reasonable yesterday but I think Christie would offer a bit more going forward.

What's happened with Doran by the way?  Usually one of the first names on the teamsheet, throws a minor tantrum coming off against County and hasn't played since.  Wonder if there's been a fallout there.

Edited by Renegade

Who knows but J H will not countenance backchat or such I am sure. If he withdraws a player then he will have good reason and  will not tolerate tantrums etc form any player. just thinking.....? 

So far he is showing that he is a strong manager with a mind of his own and no one is going to be allowed to stand in his way without very good reason. And that is the way it should be. With his experience in the game as a player etc. he knows more than any youngster does about he game and so far he has proved his shrewdness, I think  and there it stands.

Good.

Great performance on Sat all round, Vincent and Watkins shone bright. As much as I rate Billy, he is so low on confidence and missed several chances he would have scored, his workrate is great and he gets in the positions but for Celtic an Hamilton we need to not waste any chances, so I'd be inclined to rest him and play Marley up front.

Nick Ross disappointed me, I would have likes to see him do more as I think at times he has been a good player for us and with Christe suspended it could have been a chance for him to show Hughes that he is an option for that position back. The Tansey Draper pairing get stronger with Tansey taking the lead role now I feel, they do a lot to protect the back, however I would like to see more overlapping runs from Raven and Shinnie as they sit too deep at times when we could push on.

Overall though a great display against one of the leagues top teams, all this and we still have our captain to return although where he can get a game who knows lol. Great to see Esson involved on the bench, clearly getting more involved in the coaching side, plenty little chats with Latapay during the game.

Who knows but J H will not countenance backchat or such I am sure. If he withdraws a player then he will have good reason and  will not tolerate tantrums etc form any player. just thinking.....? 

So far he is showing that he is a strong manager with a mind of his own and no one is going to be allowed to stand in his way without very good reason. And that is the way it should be. With his experience in the game as a player etc. he knows more than any youngster does about he game and so far he has proved his shrewdness, I think  and there it stands.

Good.

Falling out with players who have the temerity to disagree with him has been a JH failing in the past. Judging from his performance at ICT to date, he seems to have learnt from a number of past mistakes. Let's hope he has learned that lesson too. Doran is too valuable a player to sit on the sidelines as a result of the manager sulking with him.

Or is JH looking to sell Doran in January. He is on a long term contract and one of the few we could get good money for . Must be teams looking at him sitting on the bench and wondering? We also have cover for him!