Celtic -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Why did we sign Ibra if he is not good enough for games like this . He was used to big games at Crystal Palace so should have been able to handle the atmosphere yesterday

Could be he's not fit after midweek game. That aside who would you drop to make way for him.

From the radio commentary, despite being unfortunate not to level things late on, seems we made much the same mistake as we made in the League Cup match at Ibrox in only showing any attacking intent once going behind.

Not the case at all.  Whilst we were set up more to hit on the counter, that didn't mean we sat in and there was plenty of attacking intent from the off.

Why did we sign Ibra if he is not good enough for games like this . He was used to big games at Crystal Palace so should have been able to handle the atmosphere yesterday

Yogi said post-match that he played Marley up front to utilise his pace when trying to hit Celtic on the counter (he also has a bit more height for winning balls played up the park).  IMO, it worked pretty well as it forced Celtic to keep a man on him and (at least) one man behind him at all times...and that helped reduce their threat going forwards.

I am happy to listen to the words of Mary Hill and Caley D. As fer Ibra - he is a feckin squad player and you just don't shove untried youngster in to the cauldron of Parkdread. It must be a positive that so many are frustrated at going to Parkdread and losing by a single goal. 6 points against Hamilton and Well will do nicely.

Highlights on see. Be good to see how the game panned out yesterday.

Motherwell at home in a few weeks now will be a interesting game because no doubt they will have a new manager and they players will want to perform for whoever. Still very much winable.

:cheer01: The players were fitter than those of Celtic I imagine to be able to mount such pressure at the end
against them.
Any opposing views about that?

One mistake leading to an advantage to the Celtic players on the ball to allow them to quickly scoot upfeild and score..Pretty tough break, but a very meritorious performance, apparently, overall.

Big crowd there at 42,000. Whew! wouldn't it be nice if we could get a bumper crowd like that just once?. :clapping:

Reading some of the comments on the pre-match threads on the likes of TalkCeltic and Kerrydale Street forums, it appeared that every man and his dog intended going to the game - as it was their first Saturday 3pm kick off this season!

Yes, I was quite surprised to see that the highlights indicated that we gave them a bit of a roasting in the second half.  Really unlucky not to convert at least a couple of these chances. Poor Billy, if he were operating at even 75% of his ability, he would have had a good handful of goals in recent weeks.  It is now quite embarrassing.  I really think he needs a spell with the youngsters in Development league.

Yes, I was quite surprised to see that the highlights indicated that we gave them a bit of a roasting in the second half.  Really unlucky not to convert at least a couple of these chances. Poor Billy, if he were operating at even 75% of his ability, he would have had a good handful of goals in recent weeks.  It is now quite embarrassing.  I really think he needs a spell with the youngsters in Development league.

You're joking right?

I genuinely think that once he finally scores, a few others goals will follow. It's just getting that first strike to break his drought. Looking back at his record, he does tend to score in streaks although this is an unusually long time for Billy. Although he did once go for 16 ICT games without scoring in his early days at the club! (he's currently on 12)

• Agree 1

He's by no means the first striker to go through phases of form and confidence.

Remember with Wyness we used to sing "he used to be sh1te but now he's alright"? Maybe for Billy it's "he used to be prolific but now he's horrific!"  :tongueincheek:

• Agree 3

He's by no means the first striker to go through phases of form and confidence.

Remember with Wyness we used to sing "he used to be sh1te but now he's alright"? Maybe for Billy it's "he used to be prolific but now he's horrific!"  :tongueincheek:

"...he used to 'score for fun'...but now he cannae 'buy one'..."!

" his goals came like a tide - but now he's out the side "

" the weekly goals we knew - are now so few and few "

" he leads the line for 'Caley' - at times he'll dilly-dally "

" he leads the line for 'Thistle' - but from his toe, he'll mistle "

That's me done!

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

Without a doubt I fully expect Billy Mckay to score but as I have said many times, he needs a short spell of sitting out of games like he was last Saturday

You have to admire him, he was so ever present last season and not forgetting, while the rest of the squad were on Holiday, Billy was on International duty in South America. A lot has been expected of him.

The guy looked burntout when I was at the United game a couple weeks ago and he has still been on the International scene.

With a deserved rest period, we should see a resurgent Mckay of old - scoring goals!

• Agree 2

I'm sure he will bag a goal against Hamilton. McKay anytime scorer and Caley win.

The last 4 games he's scored - Inverness won!

But the 3 before that, he netted in a draw against Stranraer, a draw against Dundee United and a defeat against Aberdeen!

But, I'm sure you weren't meaning it literally!

He's not looked burnt out at all. Against Saint Mirren, down to 10 men, he was still chasing the ball down and looked like he still had plenty in the tank before he was taken off.

Well the Dundee United game certainly looked like it. If he had a bit more in the tank he wouldn't have scuffed the chance in the second half.

Whether or not he had more in the tank would have made little different to the shot. He had the energy to get there, I can't see how he would have gotten there any quicker, he had the confidence to try and chip the keeper and it just didn't come off. I fail to see how having "more in the tank" would have led to a goal.

I'm sure he will bag a goal against Hamilton. McKay anytime scorer and Caley win.

The last 4 games he's scored - Inverness won!

But the 3 before that, he netted in a draw against Stranraer, a draw against Dundee United and a defeat against Aberdeen!

But, I'm sure you weren't meaning it literally!

I think he will bag a couple in the next 2 home games!