Celtic -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Was at the game and met various officials of Celtic who all said that we were the best Scottish team they have played at Celtic park this season. TBH if it wasnt for us not playing the whistle I feel sure we could have got at least a point of those lads. Hughes got his tactics spot on. Just a break in concentration lost us the game.

The crowd were screaming for the full time whistle and there was an audible groan when the fourth official announced the amount of extra minutes to be played.

That was a great display from our lads.

In fact one of the Sunday papers that I read had their keeper as man of the match. What does that say ?

• Agree 3

Yes, I was quite surprised to see that the highlights indicated that we gave them a bit of a roasting in the second half.  Really unlucky not to convert at least a couple of these chances. Poor Billy, if he were operating at even 75% of his ability, he would have had a good handful of goals in recent weeks.  It is now quite embarrassing.  I really think he needs a spell with the youngsters in Development league.

You're joking right?

No, I wasn't joking RIG. The facts speak for themselves.  Billy's goals dried up long before the end of last season, and this season have been negligible.  This from a striker who many on here were valuing in the millions this time last year (I wasn't one of them; were you?).

I don't deny that he still puts a lot of effort in, but his finishing is just not up to the mark at the moment. That's why I thought a couple of games at a lower level might just be the spur he needs to refind his scoring touch.

Your loyalty to him is touching,  so what is your solution? To me it seems you advocate just sitting it out and hope things take a turn for the better. 

Whether or not he had more in the tank would have made little different to the shot. He had the energy to get there, I can't see how he would have gotten there any quicker, he had the confidence to try and chip the keeper and it just didn't come off. I fail to see how having "more in the tank" would have led to a goal.

I understand what you're saying RiG, but it may be over-exertion on Billy's part to make sure he gets the final ball. The only person that could answer that is Billy himself.

I personally think a short resting period would do him the world of good as he has been so ever present at all levels last season and this season.

I don't think dropping him in the U20s is the correct thing either. Billy needs a confidence boost and I think a rest period would give him that.

• Agree 2

Yes, I was quite surprised to see that the highlights indicated that we gave them a bit of a roasting in the second half.  Really unlucky not to convert at least a couple of these chances. Poor Billy, if he were operating at even 75% of his ability, he would have had a good handful of goals in recent weeks.  It is now quite embarrassing.  I really think he needs a spell with the youngsters in Development league.

You're joking right?

No, I wasn't joking RIG. The facts speak for themselves.  Billy's goals dried up long before the end of last season, and this season have been negligible.  This from a striker who many on here were valuing in the millions this time last year (I wasn't one of them; were you?).

I don't deny that he still puts a lot of effort in, but his finishing is just not up to the mark at the moment. That's why I thought a couple of games at a lower level might just be the spur he needs to refind his scoring touch.

Your loyalty to him is touching,  so what is your solution? To me it seems you advocate just sitting it out and hope things take a turn for the better. 

Whether or not he had more in the tank would have made little different to the shot. He had the energy to get there, I can't see how he would have gotten there any quicker, he had the confidence to try and chip the keeper and it just didn't come off. I fail to see how having "more in the tank" would have led to a goal.

I understand what you're saying RiG, but it may be over-exertion on Billy's part to make sure he gets the final ball. The only person that could answer that is Billy himself.

I personally think a short resting period would do him the world of good as he has been so ever present at all levels last season and this season.

I don't think dropping him in the U20s is the correct thing either. Billy needs a confidence boost and I think a rest period would give him that.

There's so much more to his game than sticking the ball in the back of the net. We've seen that from him so many times this season. His work rate up top is phenomenal. Remember, he is playing as a single striker up front and with our slow style of play compared to recent seasons, support is slower to get to him yet he still does a great job winning the ball, laying it off to team mates often when he is outnumbered. He has played a crucial part in this team getting to where we are this season and that's without scoring. I see no reason to deduce that he should no longer start because he isn't scoring. He has so much more in his skill set than just that.

Dropping him to the bench or from the first XI altogether might end up being counter productive and damage his confidence. I don't see it as a risk to keep him in the side when we have been doing so well. 

You need to remember that his goal scoring exploits have slowed down for a long time now. It's not just this season that he hasn't been finding the net. As we've moved to JH style of play Mckay has suffered in terms of grabbing goals but, at least this season, the team has been getting results. Why would you want to mess with that?

You're joking right?

There's so much more to his game than sticking the ball in the back of the net. We've seen that from him so many times this season. His work rate up top is phenomenal. Remember, he is playing as a single striker up front and with our slow style of play compared to recent seasons, support is slower to get to him yet he still does a great job winning the ball, laying it off to team mates often when he is outnumbered. He has played a crucial part in this team getting to where we are this season and that's without scoring. I see no reason to deduce that he should no longer start because he isn't scoring. He has so much more in his skill set than just that.

Dropping him to the bench or from the first XI altogether might end up being counter productive and damage his confidence. I don't see it as a risk to keep him in the side when we have been doing so well. 

You need to remember that his goal scoring exploits have slowed down for a long time now. It's not just this season that he hasn't been finding the net. As we've moved to JH style of play Mckay has suffered in terms of grabbing goals but, at least this season, the team has been getting results. Why would you want to mess with that?

I actually agree with you with his work rate and I have previously stated that he was quite effective on the wings in the second half of the Ross County game if that's anything to go by. Yeah, his movement up front and assisting Marley Watkins has been really beneficial to the team. I know we aren't going to agree regarding Mckay's stamina levels but as I said Billy could be over-exerting himself to keep up the passing style that Yogi likes to play alongside being the penalty box striker that we are used to seeing him play. 

I had a quick scan of his stats from last season and in total Billy had participated in 52 football games last season which finished for him in June and then he would have come back to training (Possibly granted weeks ahead of others, I don't know) but 52 games in a whole season is fair amount of games. 

You may be right that it could be counter productive by placing him on the bench but if you look at how Aaron Doran has reacted since being on the bench, it could actually be productive. 

Yes, without a doubt the team has been doing well but I personally think that coincides with Watkins rise in form. (Apparently David Raven has our most assists this season with 3)  

Edited by ICTRoughi

He should certainly be encouraged by retaining his place in the Northern Ireland squad. It would have been 'easy' for the boss to not include him this time, but he's obviously been impressing enough in previous squads to merit inclusion again. They're actually quite well-off for strikers so Billy's doing well remaining in the picture. I'm sure he'll grab a goal for us before too long!