Shinnie leaving

bdu98196

Just to reiterate, the offers in January will most likely not meet ICT's valuation of Graeme therefore I don't think we should sell Graeme just for the hell of it to make a quick buck. Graeme without a doubt is a valuable asset to the club and I personally feel that we need him in our back four to finish up as high we can in the league and financially the club would be better off if we finish second or third for example - that's where I think money will be made for ICT.

Sorry Roughi but something is better than nothing. I agree, he is a valuable asset so why let him go for nothing? At this stage in his contract the club's valuation is irrelevant as it is too late for a huge amount of negotiation.This is not a one man team, this is a very good squad of players of which Shinnie is only a part (albeit a valuable part) and I don't see his January departure as being a significant factor in where we finish in the league. IMO Tremarco will not weaken our defence and we have very good options in midfield already.     

Just to reiterate, the offers in January will most likely not meet ICT's valuation of Graeme therefore I don't think we should sell Graeme just for the hell of it to make a quick buck. Graeme without a doubt is a valuable asset to the club and I personally feel that we need him in our back four to finish up as high we can in the league and financially the club would be better off if we finish second or third for example - that's where I think money will be made for ICT.

Sorry Roughi but something is better than nothing. I agree, he is a valuable asset so why let him go for nothing? At this stage in his contract the club's valuation is irrelevant as it is too late for a huge amount of negotiation.This is not a one man team, this is a very good squad of players of which Shinnie is only a part (albeit a valuable part) and I don't see his January departure as being a significant factor in where we finish in the league. IMO Tremarco will not weaken our defence and we have very good options in midfield already.

In an ideal world, we should be receiving megabucks for one of our prized assets but sadly this isn't an ideal world and I can only expect that selling him wouldn't make a difference - heard on the grapvine that Aberdeen offered a sum last transfer window which was laughable to say the least.

Without a doubt Tremarco is a decent enough left back but the problem is he isn't of the same calibre of Shinnie and I think it would be ludicrous to sell him when we are seriously chasing a top 3 finish. You're better off keeping the player and then it's best for both parties - we finish off in a high position and Graeme gets a big move elsewhere. I also agree with the point old caley girl rasied earlier, I can't fathom Graeme leaving in January for personal reasons, unless Aberdeen offered a shed load of money.

In an ideal world, we should be receiving megabucks for one of our prized assets but sadly this isn't an ideal world and I can only expect that selling him wouldn't make a difference - heard on the grapvine that Aberdeen offered a sum last transfer window which was laughable to say the least.

Without a doubt Tremarco is a decent enough left back but the problem is he isn't of the same calibre of Shinnie and I think it would be ludicrous to sell him when we are seriously chasing a top 3 finish. You're better off keeping the player and then it's best for both parties - we finish off in a high position and Graeme gets a big move elsewhere. I also agree with the point old caley girl rasied earlier, I can't fathom Graeme leaving in January for personal reasons, unless Aberdeen offered a shed load of money.

That's OK, we all have our own opinions so I'm sure we can agree to disagree.

The person best placed to make that decision is John Hughes....In Yogi We Trust!!!

Most definitely but I'm sure the board have other ideas. I'm sure Yogi could do with a few quid to secure new contracts for those who have not come out and said they intend moving on in the summer.

Aberdeen would be a bad move for GS. I don't mind losing players to the Championship (it is afterall, the fourth biggest league in Europe!) where you'd be playing the likes of Norwich, Derby, Nottingham Forrest, Blackburn Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton Wanderers etc every week. Heck, if a few of our boys go down there I might even stay up late to watch the football league show.

But a move to Aberdeen? Development-wise, it's a side step at best. You'd still be playing the same SPL teams week in week out. Comparing their philosophy and style of play to ours, you could even argue that it'd be a backward step. Why leave a structure / environment which is facilitating your development so successfully? The money would be better, but if it offsets or delays your big move down south, you might even be at a net loss in the long term.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't put it past Graeme and doing exactly what Andy did and sign a pre contract with Birmingham IMO.

I see in the sun newspaper today also, that Celtic are interested too.

Sad if he leaves but if the Birmingham story is true then fair play, a truly big club playing in one of the biggest leagues in Europe. Also a good old GIRUY to all those insufferable Aberdeen fans who've had so much to say on this issue. Hopefully he makes the most of the time he still has with us.

Have to say though, it's about time me actually received a transfer fee, if you look at all the players we've helped develop in recent years, Barry Robson, Dennis Wyness, Johnny Hayes, Adam Rooney, Don Cowie, Andrew Shinnie etc, and we haven't received a penny for any of them. Pretty scandalous really, especially when you look at the ridiculous money Dundee Utd have received for players of similar quality. Not sure what the answer is in this regard. Longer contracts seem the most obvious solution. Something has to change. We can't keep losing our most valuable players year after year on frees. It's totally inept.

• Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly off track but rumours that Stephen Hendrie, Hamilton Accies left back, is interesting West Ham and a price of over £2 million being quoted. He is out of contract at the end of the season. I have seen him a few times this season and he is not as good as Shinnie. How is this happening?

reading the article .... it says "the left-back had agreed terms in a deal "well in excess of" £2m" ... that to me sounds like the total package including player wages over the course of the contract plus any transfer compensations not just a straight transfer fee .... transfer fee is probably buttons !

I also wondered about the figure when a chap from the rangers can go to Brenford for £1m after never having played in the top flight.

If we do part with any players then it should be for very healthy fees IMO.  Although I'd rather keep them all until the season and win some trophies...

• Agree 3

We need the money so lets invite offers before it's too late - as usual!

On the other hand, we could do our best to keep the squad together until the end of the season and push for historic European qualification and an even more historic Scottish Cup.

• Agree 1