The official Elgin City relegation thread

AlexJones

It appears that our old time rivals are about to return to their roots as a mediocre Highland League club with delusions of grandeur. Their 13 years of dismal failure in the lower reaches of the bottom tier have been an embarrassment to northern football. How could such a fate have befallen this 'sleeping giant' of the game? One could be tempted to ponder 'how the mighty have fallen', but in truth they never even managed to take off.

How does everyone feel about this? Personally I wanted to see them progress into the higher divisions and raise the profile of the northern game. A few more derbies other than our solitary Scottish Cup meeting would've been a bonus. At least we can take consolation in the fact that they're likely to be replaced by another Highland league club who'll hopefully fly the flag much better than they did.

Edited by AlexJones

I'm surprised they haven't done better.  They have a reasonable core support for that level and have attracted some decent players over the years.  It would be a real shame if they dropped out because it would leave a geographical gap.  Of course, if the Rangers go bankrupt again and get thrown out, there might be no relagation :whistle:

Brora is at the back of beyond methinks. And such a small town isn't it. ...too far north for any of the bigger boys to want to travel there?

I would have thought that Annan and Berwick are much nearer the back of beyond than Brora in that they are far closer to the edge of Scotland. The problem is the so-called "Central Belt" mentality which is a complete misnomer because this is a state of mind prevalent within a circle of radius 40 miles with its centre at the mid point between Edinburgh and Glasgow. That is nowhere near the centre of Scotland but the kailyard attitude which tends to be held down there means that it is regarded as such.

The reasons are probably historical since the Highlands and the Borders have for centuries been regarded as beyond the pale by too many Lowland Scots.

So Brora have as much right as anyone to be in League Two next season should they win the Highland League (virtually certain) and the playoffs (pretty good chance if they actually played in them). However all the signs are that there is little or no appetite within the club for national league football.

What would happen if they refused promotion? First of all is that even allowed? Secondly, would the Highland League Champions Vs Lowland League Champions playoff at Hampden still take place? Surely the players and fans would want to be part of that showcase game. In which case, would the Lowland League team just get a bye to play Elgin even if they lose or would Elgin just stay up by default? Or alternatively would the second placed Highland League team take Brora's place against the Lowland League Champions? 

Elgin have disappointed since entering the Scottish League. They've only had one decent season of reaching the play-offs in fifteen years. Fair-enough if the jump was too big, but the other Highland club elected at the same time, Peterhead,  have proven that it's certainly possible to get promoted - and do it again despite the setback of a relegation from tier 3.

For me, Elgin have under-achieved. I'm sure they're heading for the play-off! Maybe some time back in the Highland League would do them no harm.

AlexJones - justr to clarify, the Lowland v. Highland play-off is not a one-off game at Hampden, it's a two-legged affair - as is the 'final' between the winner and possibly Elgin.

As for Brora. I don't think they can refuse to compete in the play-off. I think they could simply fail to comply with upgrading their facilities, if they didn't fancy progressing.

And It doesn't look like the 2nd placed team would simply fill-in.

I would imagine if they (Brora) deliberately 'threw the games' against the Lowland League team, the SFA would not be happy and would possibly look at sanctions - ban them from the Scottish Cup ? or some other measure. A more draconian punishment would be to expel them from the Highland League.

Frankly, If they're competing in a completion that potentially promotes teams to higher levels, and they have no ambition to participate in such a structure, they should either be removed or remove themselves into the North Caledonian League or the North Region Juniors (West) set-up.

The Highland League clubs democratically voted to 'embrace' the Pyramid System. I think by 16 votes to 2. Although some feel their arm was behind their back and they had no choice!

At present, there appears to be no provision for runners-up to take the place of a reluctant winner. The Lowland League team (if they meet the standards) would progress to the game against, say, Elgin. And, if either 'Champion' doesn't meet the standards, there's simply no play-off and Elgin remain in the SPFL!

Well, that's my interpretation! Here's a good summary:http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/434_The_Pyramid_System_and_how_it_affects_the_SHFL.aspx

That's interesting.  It looks from the link that there is absolutely no obligation on likely Highland League champions to apply for SFL membership.  There is clearly no contingency for the opportunity to be passed onto the runners up which is a real shame.  It may be that in introducing the new pyramid structure there was the understandable assumption that all teams would jump at the opportunity of playing at a higher level, but if clubs are not wanting to apply for whatever reason (and Brora may well have a very good reason) then there is the danger that we will continue with the stagnation at the bottom of the SFL.

Because of their Geography and their very limited catchment area, Brora may well feel that the interests of the club are best served by aiming to be the best in the Highland league and aspire to occasional cup runs.  I think that is fair enough but by adopting that strategy within the current rules they could block other teams in the Highlands who could be competetive in the SFL from having the opportunity.  If Brora do win the title and chose not to apply for SFL membership I certainly hope that there is a rule change to allow the HFL runners up a chance next season.

I do, hoever, hope that Brora do apply for membership of the SFL and do their bit to change the Southern bias of the league structure.  As Charles points out the concept of a "central belt " is a falacy,  The geographical centre of Scotland is roughly the Newtonmore area and currently only 5 teams in the top 4 divisions are located north of that centre (and Aberdeen only just).  If Elgin get relegated and are not replaced by a team from the North then the imbalance gets greater.

The geographical centre of Scotland is roughly the Newtonmore area

Going a bit of topic DD I was once told that there is a spring or well on Glentruim Estate just west of Newtonmore that the Laird claimed was the center of Scotland.  Your geography is quite good!

Going a bit of topic DD I was once told that there is a spring or well on Glentruim Estate just west of Newtonmore that the Laird claimed was the center of Scotland.  Your geography is quite good!

Which means that the real Central Belt Old Firm rivalry is between Newtonmore and Kingussie!

Which means that the real Central Belt Old Firm rivalry is between Newtonmore and Kingussie!

Or perhaps in footballing terms, Strathspey Thistle and Fort William.

I was under the impression that much of the work done by Brora this season was in preparation for making the step up!

I think you're right.  The requirements to play in Division 3 are to install floodlights of a certain standard and a medical room (or something along those lines).  When the pyramid system was agreed, only Clach and Wick were up to standard, but I'm sure I did hear recently that Brora had installed these floodlights to match with the requirements.

I agree Renegade. I too, also understand that Wick and Clach were the only teams eligible to 'step up' at the time the Pyramid was agreed. But I'm fairly sure Brora will, or as you say, have addressed, their floodlights issue.

I just can't see them NOT winning the Highland League!

Despite the rumours, I doubt any club wouldn't want promotion to better themselves. If Brora refused it would be an utter embarrassment to north football after all those years of campaigning to 'open up' the leagues and have a merit based system - and our 'first' champions say 'no thanks'!

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, if Brora don't want to be a part of it, then go elsewhere! The Highland League is no longer just 'The Highland League', it's now part of the Scottish football system and I'm delighted at that.

There are also 'mutterings' that many Elgin supporters would bizarrely welcome a return to the Highland League! 

Well...that would be some encounter! Brora v Elgin - with both teams trying to lose!!!

• 2 months later...

Regardless of who might be bottom of the 2nd Division, who might be in the play offs from the Highland League?  There is a bit of discussion above with some folk thinking that Brora were taking steps to meet the criteria for league entry.  However, I recall recently hearing Charles reporting on Good Morning Scotland that Brora were unlikely to apply.  Can anyone update?  I was sort of looking forward to the Brora / County derbies in the 2016/17 season.

• Agree 2

It's been an amazing turn around at Elgin since Jim Weir took over! They were dreadful, adrift at the bottom, looking like they were heading back to the Highland League and getting dumped out of the Scottish Cup by a junior club, conceding 9 goals over the two games!

Now, they're looking at the promotion play-offs! Astonishing...

As for Brora? I don't know. It looks like they'll win the league, although Turriff are making a real fight of it, and would actually be top if they hadn't been docked 3 points.

I was under the impression that entering the play-offs was obligatory and a club can't refuse (or pass their opportunity to the runners-up).

They could, of course, simply not comply with the 'upgrades' required for the SPFL!

It would be a disappointing start to the pyramid-era if the first winners of the HL didn't want any part in it! Particularly as they could well continue to dominate for the foreseeable future. I could see sanctions if that was the case. Possibly exclusion from the Scottish Cup (and the Challenge Cup).

Quite frankly, if Brora don't want to go up, they should resign from the HL and look to apply to the North Caledonian League - it could do with increased membership!

Interesting times ahead. Edinburgh City look like they'll win the Lowland League and Montrose could be heading to the Highland League!

But, as Elgin have shown, things can change so quickly in a short space of time.

• Agree 2

The much maligned BBC updated Brora's situation and views fully last Saturday evening and again on the Monday morning. Brora chairman John Young said that he felt that, for a part time team, the potential obligation of trips, including midweek, to the likes of Annan and Berwick (that's 600-700 miles both ways) was not realistic and he really didn't want to make the move. However he said that if they had to do it, and he understood that this would be the case, they would - reluctantly. On the other hand, when asked if they would be dreadfully disappointed if the club failed to meet the SPFL criteria, he said that he might get into trouble for saying this, but they would prefer to remain in the Highland League.

I actually have full sympathy with Brora in this situation where Scottish football officialdom has again been incapable of seeing beyond the Castlecary Arches. Most of them probably don't even know where Brora is - apart from the notion that it is up in this monolithic community called "the Highlands" (which begin at Perth) where we all live in adjacent black houses and hide each other's claymores and muskets in our thatched roofs.

It simply is not realistic for many HL clubs to fulfil the requirements of the League Two fixture programme. Getting from Brora to Fraserburgh or Cove on a Saturday is difficult enough and midweek the HL has a 110 mile rule to prevent unrealistic journeys.

The SPFL has created the most ridiculous of ironies here because for decades until 1994 its member clubs operated a self protection racket, hellbent on keeping the Highlands out. Since then the HL area has acquired four SPFL teams, two of which have shown a number of these erstwhile protectionists a thing or two.

That has gone a long way to meeting demand for SPFL football from this geographically remote area, so there are now much fewer clubs still wanting in - at which point the SPLF go and make entry compulsory!

This is just another case of football being a mirror of the society we live in since up in the Highlands we have been used for centuries to being treated as second class citizens by the Lowland Scots.

• Agree 4