Transfer Window approaching.

Guest Shaun

First and foremost, they are there to get the best deals for themselves. And that usually means persuading the player to move.

Don't agree. Most decent agents will have the interests of their clients foremost. Very few players will move for less money.

Doubt Tansey and Adam Rooney would agree that going for more money helped their careers. Do agents really know what improves football players because more money often results in less games and less exposure and potentially a slide into lesser leagues . These players should be careful what they wish for!

Football is what they do for a living. Earning more money, without doubt, helped their careers.

I doubt Rooney regrets going to Birmingham, he managed a few games in the Europa league and done not too bad wherever he went after us. You could argue both him and tansey have came back better players.

Exactly. Players may not always feature in the firxt XI but they will be learning new things all the time and, as you mention, might end up coming back a better player because of it.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to go, let's not lie.. there's many and far better things on offer than what we can provide. Clubs with bigger fanbases, better training facilities, more money, better location.. a Nandos - and so on. Inverness and our club are hardly the greatest treasure but we work with all we have.

However, folk like Tansey and anyone else who's signed new contracts fairly recently, I appreciate greatly for choosing to stay where they are, immense dedication to our cause 

We know fine well we are always going to be in a hard place but slowly we're doing things to improve and get by. Especially managing to get into a scheme of offering contracts longer than a year has been a massive thing. And I don;t think for a second if they havn't been offered a contract as of yet then they won't at all. It's business and I'm positive there's a lot more thought into it than some people may or may not think, just slapping a salary on paper and wanting a 'Yay or Nae' 

Immense admiration though for most players, coming here in the first place and even more so if they choose to continue.

• Agree 4

Well, as has been said before .."The grass is always greener over the fence".

From a club's point of view, it's far better for them to simply do the best deal for their own players and then also do their best to further their training and knowledge.

Then, when the player thinks it is time to leave, continue to try to maintain the best of relations by assisting them in their new

adventure. That  way, if things don't work out at that player's new club and, like Tansey, they decide to come back they know that they are always welcome and should be motivated to try harder.

Not to mention that ,when they leave, they are far more likely to speak well of their old club as they move around in other clubs and leagues. Which does ICT no harm whatsoever and might encourage a very good player  to consider ICT as worth a try in the future .

Mark Wilson could be a decent signing for us if Shinnie goes.

Also, I see Chris Porter turned down move to our neighours. I would like him here to as a replacement for Mckay or even as replacement for Sekajja.

Not sure whether to be relieved or worried about lack of news regarding incomings or outgoings.

Also, I see Chris Porter turned down move to our neighours. I would like him here to as a replacement for Mckay or even as replacement for Sekajja.

Not sure whether to be relieved or worried about lack of news regarding incomings or outgoings.

Right back replacing a left back? - fair enough. Granted Mark Wilson would be a decent enough signing but money if available would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

I do think we could do with another striker as the general consensus is now that Mckay could be elsewhere next season. Do we need another striker this season? - not particularly especially with Calum Ferguson on the ranks already.

Just while we are speaking of strikers, I noticed Gregory Tade is now a free agent :ninja:

Right back replacing a left back? - fair enough. Granted Mark Wilson would be a decent enough signing but money if available would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

I do think we could do with another striker as the general consensus is now that Mckay could be elsewhere next season. Do we need another striker this season? - not particularly especially with Calum Ferguson on the ranks already.

Just while we are speaking of strikers, I noticed Gregory Tade is now a free agent :ninja:

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Hughes-hopes-to-give-Ferguson-Caley-Thistle-chance-12012015.htm

I see that Mackay-Steven has now signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic.  Having done so, that rules out the chance for anyone coming in with a bid which meets or exceeds Utd's valuation of him.  Or does it?  By definition it is not a contract so is it actually legally binding?

I suppose the attraction of such arrangements for players is that if their new club does not have to pay a transfer fee, they can afford to offer the player better terms.  Only cash rich clubs or those desparate to strengthen their squad in the window will be prepared to pay a significant fee and offer attractive personal terms to the players.  Other clubs will focus on offering contracts to players when their existing contracts are coming to an end.  The consequence of this is that apart from very big clubs making big offers for exceptional players, any offers for even pretty good players are likely to be modest.  Sheffield Utd's offer of £80,000 for Mackay-Steven being a case in point. 

This highlights the need to try to get players tied up on longer term contracts.  The club has made positive moves on this in the last 2 or 3 years and is no doubt thinking long and hard about what they have to do to keep those whose contract are up at the end of the season.

It is understandable that players want to further their careers and earn more money, but they do need to recognise that sometimes the best way to further your career is to stay put.  As far as Billy Mckay is concerned, he is currently at a club where the style of play suits him and where the manager (and fans!) will stick by him when he is not scoring.  If he maintains his current form he has every chance of European football next season together with league and cup success.  Being here has also not prevented him from playing at international level.  Where else will he get those opportunities?  He would find it hard to maintain his place in any other side which offers those possibilities and he risks sinking without trace if he cannot secure a regular starting spot.  Of course other clubs can offer more money but there is a balance to be struck between playing regularly with the realistic opportunity for success, and the money.  I just hope the club can make a good enough offer so that on balance Billy (and others) decide to stay here.

• Agree 1

I see that Mackay-Steven has now signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic.  Having done so, that rules out the chance for anyone coming in with a bid which meets or exceeds Utd's valuation of him.  Or does it?  By definition it is not a contract so is it actually legally binding?

I suppose the attraction of such arrangements for players is that if their new club does not have to pay a transfer fee, they can afford to offer the player better terms.  Only cash rich clubs or those desparate to strengthen their squad in the window will be prepared to pay a significant fee and offer attractive personal terms to the players.  Other clubs will focus on offering contracts to players when their existing contracts are coming to an end.  The consequence of this is that apart from very big clubs making big offers for exceptional players, any offers for even pretty good players are likely to be modest.  Sheffield Utd's offer of £80,000 for Mackay-Steven being a case in point. 

This highlights the need to try to get players tied up on longer term contracts.  The club has made positive moves on this in the last 2 or 3 years and is no doubt thinking long and hard about what they have to do to keep those whose contract are up at the end of the season.

It is understandable that players want to further their careers and earn more money, but they do need to recognise that sometimes the best way to further your career is to stay put.  As far as Billy Mckay is concerned, he is currently at a club where the style of play suits him and where the manager (and fans!) will stick by him when he is not scoring.  If he maintains his current form he has every chance of European football next season together with league and cup success.  Being here has also not prevented him from playing at international level.  Where else will he get those opportunities?  He would find it hard to maintain his place in any other side which offers those possibilities and he risks sinking without trace if he cannot secure a regular starting spot.  Of course other clubs can offer more money but there is a balance to be struck between playing regularly with the realistic opportunity for success, and the money.  I just hope the club can make a good enough offer so that on balance Billy (and others) decide to stay here.

I agree with what you see re Billy but the fact is that Mckay has a good potential to go down south and make himself a regular at international level plus get a better pay packet. The whole European place isn't really going to be much of an incentive as we will probably get one or two matches and then get knocked out before the real competition begins like every other Scottish club. I hope he would stay who wouldn't want to keep him but I think we have been lucky to keep a player who has been fantastic for this long and if it is this summer when he goes then I for one will wish him luck. 

• Agree 1

The hullabaloo with Brittain's St Johnstone Pre-Contract showed they're not worth the paper they're written on.

St Johnstone never got their man BUT that bit of paper ended up being worth £40,000 to them, at County's expense.

Some people might scoff at this, but should County go down, what about Liam Boyce?  Despite playing for a hopeless team, he does seem to have a decent goal record and has an excellent record in Northern Ireland (a low standard I know).  He's a hard worker and always looked a handful whenever I've seen him.  If he can get his weight sorted out, could he be someone worth looking at?

Maybe we should try and sign that Tony Dingwall as well, just to laugh at the Dingwallian seethe! 

Edited by Renegade

Boyce and Cardle to replace Marley and Billy should they go. I'd happily raid County for them.

Both good players that suffer from County's hoof and thump appoach abd who would play better in a team that play good football.

• Agree 1

I wouldn't touch Ross County players with a barge pole!

I think we should stick to the same transfer strategy we've had the last few seasons trying to unearth gems of the lower leagues in England trying to make a name for themselves who could be undoubtedly be better calibre of player than the two listed above county players.

• Agree 1

I think we should stick to the same transfer strategy we've had the last few seasons trying to unearth gems of the lower leagues in England trying to make a name for themselves who could be undoubtedly be better calibre of player than the two listed above county players.

Can't think of any tbh but that is mostly due to not watching Football League Show lol or not getting any blue square matches on BT yet this season.

Where is IHE when we need him haha.

Maybe someone on here will know of anyone?

Can't think of any tbh but that is mostly due to not watching Football League Show lol or not getting any blue square matches on BT yet this season.

Where is IHE when we need him haha.

Maybe someone on here will know of anyone?

With Yogi already having experience with Hartlepool, he will have a grasp of what the calibre is like down there. I'm sure there will be players that he has previously worked with down there that may be better suited up here - who knows.

I'm also sure that the club will have retained some contacts despite Marsella not being with the club anymore, so we should hopefully have things sorted out should some of the guys decide not to re-new their contract.

Boyce knows the area somewhat and has experience at this level.  I'd be willing to take him if the chance was there.  Just because he (and anyone else for that matter) is in a poor County side, doesn't mean they wouldn't flourish in our team and Boyce fits our hard working ethos.  You don't get a move from Northern Ireland to Werder Bremen for nothing.  

Cardle seems to have stalled a bit at County.  It wasn't that long ago, every man and their dog on here wanted to sign him but maybe the Championship is more his level.  What about Gardyne as well?  He's another who's career has stalled a wee bit, but I saw him playing against Aberdeen a couple of months back and I thought he was very good.  We have a habit of turning careers around as well.

What's the situation with Lionel Ainsworth?  I recollect Hughes wanting to sign him before and I think he'd be perfect should Watkins move on.  It'd be nice to have a player with proper lightning pace on the wings as well.

Edited by Renegade