St Johnstone -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Same old shyte from last season at this time... excuses, excuses excuses,    we have to score a goal more than the opposition to win a game, we don't score -we don't win. simple. 

We narrowly lost a game away from home against a team who have been at least our equals in recent years. Wahh! out go the toys. 

My sentimates also, Scarlet.

Somebody said that a good team bounces back from a pasting - SO ?

Well I suppose I could say that a 1-0 defeat away from home against a well established Premier outfit and at a bit of a bogey ground is an improvement in some respect !! I have had a couple of brief chats with two peeple who were in attendance - what are the comments of others ?

When we do not have a fully fit Watkins to rely on we are a one dimensional attacking force - that being wee Billy on his own which clearly does not work. Doran is a "luxury" as he flits in and out of games. Christie is getting increasingly more frustrated, trying to be involved more than he should do and is he being played in the wrong position ? The back pass philosophy should be axed. Brill is a fine stopper and hard to beat but he is Not the most nimblest and best balanced.

Are we returning to possession first football in a reaction to recent results and performances. Why does our self confidence begin to drain at this time of the season ?

My sentimates also, Scarlet.

Somebody said that a good team bounces back from a pasting - SO ?

Well I suppose I could say that a 1-0 defeat away from home against a well established Premier outfit and at a bit of a bogey ground is an improvement in some respect !! I have had a couple of brief chats with two peeple who were in attendance - what are the comments of others ?

When we do not have a fully fit Watkins to rely on we are a one dimensional attacking force - that being wee Billy on his own which clearly does not work. Doran is a "luxury" as he flits in and out of games. Christie is getting increasingly more frustrated, trying to be involved more than he should do and is he being played in the wrong position ? The back pass philosophy should be axed. Brill is a fine stopper and hard to beat but he is Not the most nimblest and best balanced.

Are we returning to possession first football in a reaction to recent results and performances. Why does our self confidence begin to drain at this time of the season ?

Johndo, we we actually pretty good yesterday. Some of the posts on here by people who weren't at the game might have been better considered. Christie does fade in and out of the game (equally to or maybe slightly more than Doran) and sometimes struggles with his decision making but he's still a bairn. It's to be expected. The back pass that led to the penalty was the only option he had as his forward options were covered. He just underhit it, that's all. Remember the unbeaten run that St. Johnstone are on and this was always going to be a game that could go either way. To win, they needed a massive help from the ref. 0-0 would have steadied our ship, and been a far fairer reflection on things, but really there's no need for panic and to those who are - go and support County. Then you would really have something to panic about :tongueincheek: (for the avoidance of doubt etc.)

• Agree 1

Cheers davie - but there is always another option to a back pass and we have suffered from too many of those. If in doubt hoof may not be the prettiest but it can also be the most effective irrespective of where the ball ends up. My major concern is that we appear to have gone back to the wee Billy on his own formation.

Oh dear, the dreaded back pass. I have been moaning about it for a season and a half now. We have lost numerous goals by being pressed in our own quarter circa Partick, and it causes palpitations every time Brill waits to the last fraction of a second before clearing the ball. It's so frustrating to watch it unfold every week. I hear you say St Johnstone were poor as well, but why was Brill the only one called upon to make vital saves. I was not at the game, shock horror, but the radio was telling me that although we had some possession, we were inept going forward, not a comment Auldy would make of course.

We have had a great season so far and I have been lavish in my praise when it's warranted, but I am also a realist and the last couple of performances are not deserving of a team looking to be second best in Scotland.

Let's get over this and start moving forward, in more ways than one.

• Agree 2

Like Davie I was at the match yesterday and thought we played reasonably well and perhaps deserved to go in at half time in front although would have liked us to have seen us test their GK more. Doran and Christie both contributed well and Christie actually had more efforts on goal than any other ICT player but Vincent was anonymous and Watkins was certainly missed. Billy didn't quite seem at his sharpest but was often isolated and I would have liked to have seen Christie play higher up to get closer to him at times. We looked solid enough defensively until a dreadful refereeing decision by the ref to award a penalty for an obvious dive albeit Christie's back pass was under hit. Draper's red was also very harsh although having just watched the game on TV it was perhaps over aggressive from him but surely just a yellow?

We have played an awful lot worse at McDiarmid Park but we badly need a result in our next two matches which won't be easy.

With regards to the team/shape next weekend I would like to see Doran, Watkins, Christie and McKay in the starting line up which would give us real attacking threat and with two defensive midfielders in front of our back four it would allow for enough defensive cover.

Four points or more in these two games would surely see us in the top four going into the new year which would be a real bonus and hugely commendable.    

• Agree 1

It appears to be another case of the operation went well but the patient died. There are two facts from yesterday, we didn't score and we got beat. 

Next home performance and result will now become very significant.   

More shots on goal required, to much mucking about in the final third for me.

• Agree 2

Looking at the video, Christie chose the wrong option, desperate to turn back towards goal and his execution of said back pass was woeful. That said, Graham should have been booked for his part in the penalty.

Draper was slightly unfortunate, but it appears as though he tries to ride the impending challenge and his knees and arms fend of the Perth player possibly just too much on the side of aggression resulting in the sending off. Harsh, probably, justified, probably, he gave the ref a decision to make and the rest is history.

Brill made a handful of excellent saves and we were maybe a tad fortunate not to concede a penalty earlier for Drapers tackle in the box. Maybe ref was levelling up his options.

All in though, it's a poor performance and result against a poor side.

ps, our recent results against St Johnstone show that we have held the upper hand, winning the previous four games so we would not have been considered underdogs.

If as people are saying that the penalty resulted from a dive then this has happened at many a game. The only ways I can think of to stop this cheating is the use of video evidence and in retrospect to give the offenders severe punishment or alternatively football should go the way of many other sports and use instant camera scrutinising of any unclear incidents. It works well for other sports.................so do we have to wait for permission from FIFA or could the SPFL instigate this themselves?

• Agree 2

Diving is just part of the game, always has been always will be. It's something you have to put up with almost every time you visit Celtic Park, Ibrox or Tynecastle. (St Johnstone are normally pretty sportsmanlike in this area to be fair).

It comes down to the referees doing their job properly. Spotting a dive is no different to spotting any other foul. Yesterdays dive was as blatant as you will ever see. It should've been an easy decision, free kick to ICT and yellow card to Graham for unsporting conduct. I suspect if it'd be a behind closed doors game that's exactly what would've happened. But on this occasion, Mr Colvin decided he wanted to be a crowd pleaser. It's human nature to want to make a decision that results in you getting cheered like a hero by thousands of fans rather than making a decision that results in abuse. I bet he got a real buzz out of it, just like when he flashed the red card to tumultuous applause.  

Maybe I'm being harsh and Mr Colvin genuinely mis-read both situations, but I doubt it.

• Agree 1

I agree Bughtmaster about the use of retrospective evidence in cases of 'simulation'. It needs to be wiped out.

I would have applauded Saints boss Tommy wright if he hadn't toed-the-party-line and said he admitted his player took a dive and he'd be internally fined.

But, fair play to the St Johnstone fans on their matchday thread. I've only read the first 3 pages but stopped reading when it was apparent that all 'concede' that the boy went down very easily.

They are worried that because it was so blatant, they may well see the player getting a two match ban for his acting if the SFA take action.

One fan actually commented that he was so embarrassed by his players antics that he didn't celebrate the goal - and another posted that he was so disgusted that he hoped the penalty would be missed. Refreshing to read those opinions.

• Agree 5

But Alex....must diving remain part of the game ? Do you want it ? I think not! especially in a case like yesterday  which has cost us dearly,especially in the light of Dundee United's win over Celtic.

Video study replays do not take long and they would take away a lot of uncertainty, show up Cheating ( simulation is not strong enough ) and any Referee bias if there is such a thing.

Sneckboy  I too applaud such comments from opposition posters on their threads. The  game doesn't have to become completely sin free but when it comes to game changing circumstances then I would like to see a lot more honesty. 

I remember someone saying to me once that they're idea to stop diving to win penalties was that if a player dived and it was clear and blatant to the referee, the ref should give a penalty at the other end.  I don't know how easy it would work, but it certainly would cut it out.

• Agree 1

One of the more unusual things to happen yesterday was that I found myself walking towards the ground alongside Derek Adams and his dad.  Resisted the temptation to ask if they were getting unemployed concessions and instead invited them in to the away section for the kind of banter that we will all miss. They politely declined, but we had a wee chat about ICT and how the game might turn out.  He didn't come across as a **** in that context, probably confused that someone in an ICT scarf wasn't being unpleasant towards him!

• Agree 1

Our own Sloth has added his debut report to the site for your pleasure, read it here

http://caleythistleonline.com/page/index.html/_/previews-2014-15/st-johnstone-v-inverness-ct-spfl-r1217 :clapoverhead:

"the referee awarded the spot kick, although the decision didn't go without the voices of the Inverness players suggesting that he went down a little too easily, or as the fans saw it, a dive which Tom Daley would have been proud of..................

Sloth Sleuth

• Agree 1

Looking at the video, Christie chose the wrong option, desperate to turn back towards goal and his execution of said back pass was woeful. That said, Graham should have been booked for his part in the penalty.

Draper was slightly unfortunate, but it appears as though he tries to ride the impending challenge and his knees and arms fend of the Perth player possibly just too much on the side of aggression resulting in the sending off. Harsh, probably, justified, probably, he gave the ref a decision to make and the rest is history.

Brill made a handful of excellent saves and we were maybe a tad fortunate not to concede a penalty earlier for Drapers tackle in the box. Maybe ref was levelling up his options.

All in though, it's a poor performance and result against a poor side.

ps, our recent results against St Johnstone show that we have held the upper hand, winning the previous four games so we would not have been considered underdogs.

I agree with you on both counts, I guess a lack of awareness in Christie's part being yound and at the start of his career, from the highlights I saw, he seemed to have soooo much space if he had turned or just let the ball past.

As for Draper, i thought he was jumping out of the way of the tackle, and was instinctively trying to steady himself or brace for the impact of the player coming through him... do referees's really think that a player has that much time and thought to plan retribution coming down from an avoiding action?

I had 4 minutes of action to watch, but we didn't seem to have a shot of note in the first half, but were a tad unlucky with the Raven effort off the post

Next match is a real toughie, a point against Aberdeen would stop a couple of defeats become something more serious...annoylingly it's live on TV down here, I just wont be anywhere near one

Happy Christmas everyone :santa:

You got to watch the company you keep lad!  Never a penalty. Draper stupid and deserved to walk

I'm not so sure about that one. After watching the highlights, I don't think Draper had any vicious intentions whilst making the jump. Of course, he could have handle it a bit better but I personally think was trying to get out of the challenge and ended up catching Lappin in the aftermath -  a yellow card at best  

Edited by ICTRoughi