Team for New Years day.

Guest Shaun

I would stick with same team with only one change which would be Vincent for Tremarco with Graeme back at left back.

Brill

Raven Meekings Warren Shinnie

Tansey Vincent

Doran Christie Watkins

Mckay

Imperative that we get back to winning ways and on current form of County, we SHOULD manage that.

At TCS we were shocking in 1st half but got very unlucky in 2nd half with Brown thwarting us on numerous occasions.

Our luck is due to change sometime soon :-(.

Anyway, I believe and 100% back the lads and management :ictscarf:.

Happy New Year when it comes and BELIEVE. Have faith ;-).

I think we need to dominate the game early and not let County get a foot in the game as we know after yesterday their bus will be well and truly parked.

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Doran Tansey Christie Williams

Mckay Watkins

Terrible idea to have Vincent in holding midfield! I liked shinnie in there and I personally would put the same team out that we had today

I also think this type of game suits tremarco but would like to see us return to our usual back four.

Terrible idea to have Vincent in holding midfield! I liked shinnie in there and I personally would put the same team out that we had today

Why is it a terrible idea to have a central midfielder play in a central midfield role?

Edited by RiG

Brill

Raven  Devine  Meekings  Shinnie

Warren  

Doran                          Williams

Christie

Watkins   McKay

Would be interesting to see the much-improved Gary Warren play in the Draper role. He's a good enough footballer to play further forward, and an under-utilised attacking asset IMO.  

Edited by AlexJones

It seems as if the team doesn't wake up until the second half in recent matches.

Meanwhile it also seems as if the opposition gets  a quick start and scores early on in the first half which makes it very difficult for us to  claw back a goal and into contention.

Comments please?

Same Team as Sunday to start but changes at half time if it is not working out. that was a good team that had the better of the Dons As the Boss says we did not get the breaks !

We are far from being out of the league challenge yet, the Teams above us are not going to win all their matches in the 2015 half of the league and we are as good as if not better than any Team in this league. Maybe we have lost as many as we are going to lose now, depends on the transfer window all we need is some good concentration and a little bit of luck.

my only comment re your post Scarlet The chances were there we just did not take them and that is our main concern.

I'd actually like to see us play a 4-5-1 formation with a CDM sitting behind the 4 man midfield.

Brill

Raven

Devine

Meekings

Shinnie

CDM: Warren

Watkins

Tansey

Vincent

Williams

McKay

We need to make sure that if we're sending numbers on a fast break including shinnie we've got someone to drop back and help sure up the defense.

McKay is too isolated so having warren help win the ball back and organize the DF/MF it'l allow the likes of vincent/watkins and co to push up and give some support.

Doran doesn't merit a starting spot after his performance against Aberdeen, made some impact off the bench in games this season but was a complete nonentity on Sunday.

I think that's a bit unfair.  Doran is perhaps less prominent than he used to be but that is more a consequence of the passing style the manager wants the team to play.  I would love to see him run onto balls and take defenders on more but he seems to be playing rather deeper these days although he always puts in a great shift appearing all over the park.

For example, it was Doran who raced back to cover Tremarco when he and Meekings went for the same ball.  Doran actually got back and would have cut out a convential cross but McGinn was clever enough to cut it back to through his legs.  Meanwhile, Murray was bursting into the box and Shinnie made no effort at all to cover him.  At the other end, it was Doran who moved the ball on for Mckay and who then made space for himself in a good shooting position.  Mckay went for goal but the lay off to Doran would have been the better option.  It was certainly not his best game for us by a long chalk, but his work in midfield in pressing the opposition was a big factor in why Aberdeen got so few chances during the game whilst his involvement in our build up play contributed to us creating more chances than usual.  He deserves to keep his place as much as anybody.

Having said that, I am reminded of a point made earlier in the season, by Yngwie I think it was, about what a poor record we have had this season when Doran is in the starting line-up.  The last 2 matches would seem to reinforce that perception.

• Agree 1

It was also Doran that missed a sitter, scuffing his shot and also had a fresh air swipe at a clearance. He has had better games, maybe the last twenty minutes will suit him better. Does he look fit enough for a full game?

Strangely enough someone gave him MotM for his performance, :slapme: It takes all kinds I suppose.

Brill

Raven    Warren    Meekings    Shinnie

Tansey

Watkins    Vincent    Williams

Christie

Mckay

Watkins needs to get his finger out from the start, Christie and Vincent will dictate behind Mckay, Shinnie and Williams will bomb down the left, Watkins will forage on the right backing Mckay and Tansey will mop up in front of the back four.

Yogi will make changes on the hour, Doran for a tiring Vincent, and Sekajja for Mckay in final 10 minutes to run at a tiring defence, (someone will tell the tannoy boy his name) and Devine will play last five minutes to stop County coming forward as we hold on for a 2-0 win, Williams making way. :ohmy:

• Agree 2

Why is it a terrible idea to have a central midfielder play in a central midfield role?

Wait, Vincent's position is playing in behind the striker, not centre mid. Hughes sometimes plays him on the right and it doesn't work. The only place that he is effective is in the hole. He has never played in where Tansey and draper normally play because he simply does not have the bite off the ball to be in there, it would be like having Daniel Stratford in there again, hence why it's a terrible idea

I think I'm right in saying that Victoria Park's pitch is fairly narrow, certainly narrower than the Caley Stadium's one anyway.  With that in mind, I don't think wingers will be that effective overall.  Also, let's take the game to them.  The likes of Scott Boyd is a solid centre-back, but he's as slow as a week in jail.  Get Mckay and Watkins back up-front and let them get past them.

For me - 

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Tansey

Ross-------------Williams

Christie

Watkins Mckay

Subs - Esson, Tremarco, Vincent, Doran, Devine, Sekajja, Polworth*

*Horner in if Polworth's out.

Wait, Vincent's position is playing in behind the striker, not centre mid. Hughes sometimes plays him on the right and it doesn't work. The only place that he is effective is in the hole. He has never played in where Tansey and draper normally play because he simply does not have the bite off the ball to be in there, it would be like having Daniel Stratford in there again, hence why it's a terrible idea

A couple of months back, Vincent played in a reserve match sat in-front of the back four.  He was very good in that role, as his general recycling of possession is decent, but he doesn't offer much bite going forward.  Sat next to a Draper type, I think he could flourish there.  I'm sure when he signed as well it was reported that he'd played there at times for Stockport and Kidderminster Harriers.

He's played in the middle two of a 4-2-3-1 before and done well. You don't need to have 'bite' to play there and it's completely unfair to say that he is only effective in one position.

Has anybody got any proof that the pitch is narrower? I think it's an urban myth or an optical illusion!

Although pitch widths are allowed to be of varying size, all penalty areas are the same dimensions. With that in mind, and using Google's (or others) overhead views, it's apparent that the distances between the edges of the penalty-areas to the touchlines are virtually identical in both grounds.

Has anybody got any proof that the pitch is narrower? I think it's an urban myth or an optical illusion!

Although pitch widths are allowed to be of varying size, all penalty areas are the same dimensions. With that in mind, and using Google's (or others) overhead views, it's apparent that the distances between the edges of the penalty-areas to the touchlines are virtually identical in both grounds.

According to the SPFL official site, both pitches are 68 metres wide.

• Agree 1