Old sweeties

This thread has become too complicated  for me.

As I remember, I was not into chocolate bars since they were few and far between during the 2nd world war years of 1940 to 1945.But the occasional ice cream cone off the barrow that trundled  down the street with bells ringing were  enough to put me into a state of feverish excitement. Mind you, in them thar days, the taste of real ice cream was far superior to what they call ice cream nowadays, most of which still DOES come hidden inside a chocolate coating anyway.

And , believe it or not, running out the front door to stand at the kiosk on wheels to hand over my few pennies and then be handed this gorgeous -looking cone was part of the overall thrill of this simple event in the heart and mind of a very young lad.

• Agree 1

I think Torquil was my French teacher.  Memory may be wrong but I was at the Academy from 62 to 68.....

He may well have been. Were you Amanda Anythingelse when you were at school by any chance?

That's a terrible chat up line Charles........You have scared her off :ohmy:

I think Torquil was my French teacher.  Memory may be wrong but I was at the Academy from 62 to 68.....

He may well have been. Were you Amanda Anythingelse when you were at school by any chance?

That's a terrible chat up line Charles........You have scared her off :ohmy:

:lol: Naw, it's just that I think that this may be a particular person who was three years ahead of me in school but I don't like to put that name into the public domain in case I am wrong.

Scared off may be right. Just stopped myself in time from suggesting the beautiful lady's age--assuming that she was 12 when she started there. :blush:

Now she enters the  era when she gradually relies on her age to make an impression --- like, "you youngsters, don't you dare talk back to me like that. I remember when I was a  your age........... complete as desired."

The one thing that I find so appealing about old age is the look in a girl's eye when she walks past  --you know, a combo of withering  pity, a small flicker of interest when she is obviously thinking .."oh, well he might make an interesting gandpa", the toss of the head that instantly means "HE's got no chance anyway" and seeing the disbelief in my eyes realizing that  she is obviously not interested in my good legs.  Why "appealing"? --because it instantly brings me down from my throne in the sky to the crushing reality of  my pathetic daily existence as an aging former blue-eyed boyo who once had the ability to turn on his OiRish blarney  at will but have now just forgotten the words. :cheer01:

Sigh! Only IHE has good legs now--I think,