Disgrace that is the Ferry of today

14 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Think it started with a shed for Willie the Carse, Jock Watt and the Mapplebecks

The Mapplebecks. Now that's a name I remember from doon the ferry - in Kessock Avenue ?

Was Jock Watt a rough Diamond as a lad?

And oft was he far from well-behaved and even more frequently bad?

"Doon the Ferry", that rough wee place ,

I have a feeling it was Jolly Jockey that could have set the pace.

And oft out-running the polis to save his face,

I do hear tell that wance he hit the Mayor wi his own mace.

Which wasnae very nice in his Lordship's own space.

And now he's back frae Aussie Land

His personality now the essence of sartorial composure

Which is my cue to hand this ditty over to another  to complete

As I seek the bliss of escapist closure. :notworthy:

To the tune of the Rising Sun:

There was a house in West Drive,

The worst house in the town

the Stewart's, the Dyces they lived there

And partook of the Four Crown

Now I've just had four bottles

And a can of Heinz Baked beans

and I've walked right out of West Drive

with shittt oe'r my new Blue Jeans

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2016 at 9:30 AM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Let's compare

image.jpg

Compare with what?  This picture is from the 70's before Flemming's sawmill closed they have some amount of timber in the bottom right of the picture and note the scrap yards on Lotland Street top right which were Mapelbecks and Jock Macdonalds.

7 minutes ago, IBM said:

Compare with what?  This picture is from the 70's before Flemming's sawmill closed they have some amount of timber in the bottom right of the picture and note the scrap yards on Lotland Street top right which were Mapelbecks and Jock Macdonalds.

I see that the full complement of houses seem to be there on Kilmuir Road on the far side of the Clach Park. I think they went up around 1970 since a pal of mine moved there from Huntly Street when his parents became the first occupants. I'm not sure how many of the houses on Shore Street, where my father was born, are still there in the photo. What I can't visualise is what these buildings were in that sort of rough triangle between the east ends of the Black and  Waterloo bridges before they built the flats which are now there opposite the former Portland Club.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:18 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

Dalneigh FC? I thought it was Hibs' 1902 Scottish Cup winning team!

No, Charles. The best side to ever come out of Dalneigh and winners of the Welfare League and Cup (twice, I think !).

Jock Watt.jpg

23 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I see that the full complement of houses seem to be there on Kilmuir Road on the far side of the Clach Park. I think they went up around 1970 since a pal of mine moved there from Huntly Street when his parents became the first occupants. I'm not sure how many of the houses on Shore Street, where my father was born, are still there in the photo. What I can't visualise is what these buildings were in that sort of rough triangle between the east ends of the Black and  Waterloo bridges before they built the flats which are now there opposite the former Portland Club.

The large building was a house but I have no idea who stayed in it and the small white building was the weighbridge office.  You are right about the houses on Kilmuir Road, Benula Road and Wyvis Place which replaced the prefabs early 70's.

12 minutes ago, IBM said:

The large building was a house but I have no idea who stayed in it and the small white building was the weighbridge office.  You are right about the houses on Kilmuir Road, Benula Road and Wyvis Place which replaced the prefabs early 70's.

I remember the weighbridge office now you mention it. I have also been able to blow up the pic using my i-phone and can now make the other structure out as a house of which I have no strong memory.

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2015 at 9:46 AM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

A different angle

post-25-0-30306400-1427190408.jpg

Heard stories of people swimming here in years gone by any recollections?

Also where was the streets known as west/south drive??  Demolished or renamed?

5 hours ago, Satan said:

Heard stories of people swimming here in years gone by any recollections?

Also where was the streets known as west/south drive??  Demolished or renamed?

The local swimming club did the annual Kessock swim across the water but I don't know when this stopped but sure it was before the late 60's.  There is a photo of the swimmers in the White Cottage Tea Room, North Kessock.

The streets were renamed Rosehaugh Road and Carnac Crescent.

22 hours ago, IBM said:

The local swimming club did the annual Kessock swim across the water but I don't know when this stopped but sure it was before the late 60's.  There is a photo of the swimmers in the White Cottage Tea Room, North Kessock.

The streets were renamed Rosehaugh Road and Carnac Crescent.

..and were once known locally as North and South Vietnam.

On 3/3/2015 at 8:02 PM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Take it you mean Ord Hill but I thought that you would more likely to have stayed here

post-25-0-37927900-1425376914_thumb.jpg

Where my mother took me several times to learn how to play Whist !