Disgrace that is the Ferry of today

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously too technical for Ferry boys but is located close to the bridge. Better stick to the boat

It is the channel marker for the entrance to the harbour I noticed it out in the firth to the east of the bridge on the way to the football on Saturday, they are red and green but not being a sea farer don't know the rules, I will stick with traffic lights.

Short story here about Rosehaugh http://www.berwickshipyard.com/Ferries.html

The article says of the Rosehaugh: "Capable of carrying 17 cars and up to 150 passengers...."

Comparing that with what goes across the Kessock Bridge 33 years after the Rosehaugh was withdrawn from service gives a vivid insight into the exponential increase in traffic levels in the Inverness area.

It also gives a parallel insight into the scandalous failure of local infrastructure to keep up with that rate of increase.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Raigmore Hospital to the a Ferrya Ferry

image.jpg

That one seems to have been taken between the end of the war (the old Raigmore hospital is there) and around 1960 (there's no sign of construction of the old Millburn Junior Secondary having started).

What is the big house on the right in the woods where the Raigmore Estate is now?  The photo could be about WW11 time as there are lots of huts to the south west of the main Cameron Barracks.

I don't know how recent that photo is, but there was a sky very like that in Inverness last night. That seems to be down what we used to call West/North/South Drive.

Down there taking a photo at night :ohmy:

• 5 weeks later...

Those pre fabs were still there in 1966 when we moved into one of the new maisonettes on Benula Rd, albeit empty apart from the odd diehard lingering on in isolation. They should have saved their pennies on the wall they built it was a doddle to get over.

Those pre fabs were still there in 1966 when we moved into one of the new maisonettes on Benula Rd, albeit empty apart from the odd diehard lingering on in isolation. They should have saved their pennies on the wall they built it was a doddle to get over.

The prefabs at the top of Benula Road were all still occupied in 1968 and I think it that year most moved out and they were demolished I think in 1969-1970, it was a firm called Fullton from Falkirk with light blue lorries, there was a lot of money in scrap aluminium back then! 

The best thing about visiting the Ferry ?

image.jpg

Rogers still there after all these years picture from late 50's, I wonder if the billiard rooms were in the back then!  The Vauxhall Cresta 1955-56 might have belonged to George Rodgers Sen.  Not many cars about with an Austin A40 Farina heading towards the Ferry and a parked Ford Popular van.

Well , IBM, if that car was the  Vauxhall Cresta which you thought that I had mentioned then it's not I'm afraid. But note the flutes on the bonnet . So we shall have to just continue to think about it. I was 17 in March of 1955 and off to the RAF when I was 18.  And that doesn't exactly gel with my memories of driving that car. But then again I suppose I must have been 17 at least to have a driving licence so maybe 1955 was the year-- except that it certainly wasn't that model which is a completely rounded shape whereas Dad' s car was angular.