Disgrace that is the Ferry of today

The old way in to the Ferry

The Black Bridge and railway bridge Waterloo Place, Shore St and Innes St, part of the power station beside the bowling green.  Not much on the north side of the railway line, looks like a row of huts on Longman Road.  The large building top right is Highland House which is still there and the houses at the front of it were opposite the old PO/BT garage and demolished when the road was made dual carriageway.

How did it get the name the Black Bridge?  I often wondered as the present one is grey.

As far as I am aware the original Black Bridge was the one in the illustration in #133 and the predecessor of the current one which, off the top of my head, may well date from the mid 1890s but there is a plaque on it which gives the full details.

This is more like the Black Bridge !!

Is that a painting? If so, Im wondering if there has been a bit of artistic licence used, as that railway line looks awfully close to the water and must have been submerged a fair amount of the time,

• 2 weeks later...

That's Portland Place outside what was the Cameron Club, then the Portland Club before the demise of Rangers it then became a Nursery and it now the first Mosque in Inverness. 

Remember it well - Waterloo Place, if my memory serves !

It does indeed, and not a stone's throw from the Portland Club either. I'm trying to remember whether it was Stratton or Framers' Dairy who had the original phone number 97 which became 33097 with STD. Can anyone make out the name on the milk float?  Something's telling me that the phone number may have been Farmers' Dairy's and the float maybe looks as if, in colour, it may come out green rather than orange?

The milk float photo is 1959 or later as there is a Ford Anglia 105E behind it.  Was the building behind used by the old North of Scotland Hydro Electric?  And where did that fountain go?