Anyone Recognise ?

7 minutes ago, weeman said:

Crown House

It was the west wing of Crown House which was last occupied by my wife's grandparents till the early 70's.  It was left to ruin, later demolished and a modern house built in it's place which is now part of the Crown Medical Practice. 

1 hour ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Not often I recognise any of these, but, to me that looks like the house that Caley legend of the early 50s, the great Bobby Bolt,  lived in, on Telford Rd, not far from the ground.

We're in the same area of town, but I thought it might be the end of Wells Street, where the "new" Telford Street roundabout is.

However, the windows, door and chimneys don't quite match up.  Did they demolish the first cottage down to the second lot of chimneys, and then put in a door where the second ground floor window was?  Or demolish the first one-and-a-half cottages?

2140215498_wellsstreet.jpg.79d9bb59b63f8b5aed5a6aae893e2502.jpg

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

Yup, I had forgotten about the hill.   Can't be Wells Street, then.

Thought at first that it was the Craig, but it looks a bit far away if the photo was taken in that area.

Then I thought that it might be looking in the other direction - towards Culloden above Balloch.  But it looks too high for that. 

The angle of the sun doesn't help - it could be either.  And I have no idea where you went to school!

Give me a few minutes    :computer:

4 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Nope.  I'm off now.  Hope someone else can work it out!

You were in the right place just looking the wrong way it is the Craig :lol:

33 minutes ago, weeman said:

Is it Innes street and Rose Street?

Yes it could be there was a shop there on the corner and the arrow would direct traffic down Innes Street for the town center from Longman Road.

8 hours ago, weeman said:

Is it Innes street and Rose Street?

You're on fire, weeman! 

My Dad (and his Dad) used to live on Innes Street, so he took a few photographs as the top of the street, together with Railway Terrace and a large of chunk of Rose Street, disappeared for ever, to make way for the new road system.

Just off to the right of this picture would have been the house with the parrots, which IBM remembered a couple of pages (and years) ago.

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

You're on fire, weeman! 

My Dad (and his Dad) used to live on Innes Street, so he took a few photographs as the top of the street, together with Railway Terrace and a large of chunk of Rose Street, disappeared for ever, to make way for the new road system.

Just off to the right of this picture would have been the house with the parrots, which IBM remembered a couple of pages (and years) ago.

Snorbens, I used to walk to the Longman , Monday to Friday, when I stayed in Fairfield road and used to pass this corner every morning and afternoon. I wouldn't mind seeing the other photos if you have them

57 minutes ago, weeman said:

Snorbens, I used to walk to the Longman , Monday to Friday, when I stayed in Fairfield road and used to pass this corner every morning and afternoon. I wouldn't mind seeing the other photos if you have them

OK.  There's nothing much to see, and most of the photos are pretty ropey - that was about the best.  Give me a day or two and I'll see if I can improve them without ruining them.

11 hours ago, IBM said:

it was the parking for Hertz car rental?  That is the building that was taken down and then rebuilt in the new Falcon Square.

Correct!  I thought the giveaway would be the railway station canopy that you can see on the right in the second picture.

This is the Falcon Foundry, established in 1858 by one John Falconer.  As you can see, it was edge-on to the station, roughly where the western end of Eastgate 2 is now.

When Eastgate 2 was built, it was dismantled and then reconstructed a few yards to the south-west and rotated by 90 degrees, to form one side of the new square, which was named after the foundry.