Anyone Recognise ?

• 4 weeks later...

And here is a What to do in Sneck list

image.jpg

Torvain Hill (Torvean ?)......field of battle..........Any information anyone ? Who opposing who?   When, Why etc. etc..I don't ever remember even any hearsay about that.

C B perhaps you can throw some light on this?

Torvain Hill (Torvean ?)......field of battle..........Any information anyone ? Who opposing who?   When, Why etc. etc..I don't ever remember even any hearsay about that.

C B perhaps you can throw some light on this?

I have to say that I only had a vague recollection of reading about this battle, so I did a bit of Googling and came up with this:-

Medieval Inverness suffered regular raids from the Western Isles, particularly by the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in the fifteenth century. In 1187 one Domhnall Bán (Donald Bane) led islanders in a battle at Torvean against men from Inverness Castle led by the governor's son, Donnchadh Mac An Toisich (Duncan Mackintosh). Both leaders were killed in the battle, Donald Bane is said to have been buried in a large cairn near the river.

Dig deeper, Chas, and can you find out whether or not that battle was fought prior to the joining of the MacBeans clan with the Mackintosh clan together with a couple of other clans to form Clan Chattan.

Kind of interesting and a little spooky since the surname of the island clan (MacBane) is very similar to MacBean and could have been an offshoot of the latter clan. Why? Because, when the MacBeans  came up to Inverness with their Princess to marry the  son of the MacKintosh clan chief which was the most powerful entity in this area at that time, they settled in the Inverness area exclusively and definitely didn't wander off to the relatively far West and out of the limelight.....and probably the disputes for power between the senior members of Clan Chattan? 

And guess who my sister married a long time ago...Yep! ... Dennis Mackintosh.

Comments Charles? :wink:

Kind of interesting and a little spooky since the surname of the island clan (MacBane) is very similar to MacBean and could have been an offshoot of the latter clan.

Comments Charles? :wink:

Scarlet... I'm afraid you're a bit off the beam there. You seem to have forgotten some features of Gaelic naming since you became a Colonial!

They often distinguish people by way of hair colour.

So for instance (NB - my Gaelic spelling can't be relied on!), Aonghas Dubh is Black Angus and Iain Ruadh is Red John, so Domnal Ban is Fair Haired Donald.

So the son of the boss of Inverness Castle was apparently a fair haired chap called Donald.

It was said that there are so many Donald MacLeod's on Lewis that the late broadcaster Donnie B MacLeod was called that do distinguish him from Donnies A, C, D, E etc!

Another well known Domnal Ban was Anglicised by Shakespeare into Donalain, the younger son of the murdered King Duncan in Macbeth.

There MAY however be a link here with the MacBeans (MacBains) since one of several possible derivations of the surname is thought to be that Gaelic word "ban".

Have to hand it to you , Chas for a good try. But the name mentioned  by you above was Donald Bane also, not just MacBan or just Ban. So-- does that not make a difference? Probably not so I have to commend you for your reference.

As for Mr Rattle-Assegai?  Well, he did tend to take liberties in his prose so I wouldn't put too much store by what he was referring to--probably extremely fictionalised by him don't you think. However it is a fact that MacBeth was a member of the MacBean clan  and that's where he hot-footed to after he chopped down the other guy on the battlefield. Let's face it, Charrlie, we are just playing with names here because a rose with any other name smells the same...Ha?    :notworthy:

In the absence of colour, I'm trying to decide if these "CS" blazers are Crown or Central. I THINK they both had the same lettering but of course Crown was blue while Central was maroon. The ambience of the photo suggests to me that it may have been taken no later than the 50s. The women in uniform may well be Civil Defence which was the organisation which would have come into play had we ever been nuked.

In the absence of colour, I'm trying to decide if these "CS" blazers are Crown or Central. I THINK they both had the same lettering but of course Crown was blue while Central was maroon. The ambience of the photo suggests to me that it may have been taken no later than the 50s. The women in uniform may well be Civil Defence which was the organisation which would have come into play had we ever been nuked.

I certainly agree with the date, the clothing suggests 51/52. I don't ever remember blazers at the Central School during that era so my guess would be the Crown. OOps. I just noticed the open toe sandals one of the girls is wearing so it could have been later ....sorry I'm not being much help,,............. Could be one for you Scarlet ????????

Have to hand it to you , Chas for a good try. But the name mentioned  by you above was Donald Bane also, not just MacBan or just Ban. So-- does that not make a difference? Probably not so I have to commend you for your reference.

As for Mr Rattle-Assegai?  Well, he did tend to take liberties in his prose so I wouldn't put too much store by what he was referring to--probably extremely fictionalised by him don't you think. However it is a fact that MacBeth was a member of the MacBean clan  and that's where he hot-footed to after he chopped down the other guy on the battlefield. Let's face it, Charrlie, we are just playing with names here because a rose with any other name smells the same...Ha?    :notworthy:

I think the "Donald Bane" is just a slight variation of Shakesepare's "Donalbane" which is in turn an Anglicised version of "Domnal Ban".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...