Anyone Recognise ?

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Now where exactly was that hotel situated , IHE?

It would have been the Station Hotel when you were in Inverness and it has now reverted back to its old name, Station Square is just to the left of the photo.

2 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Gotcha, IBM. Thank you!

Yep, I understand that the Grand Old Lady is showing her age a wee bit nowadays.

What does it cost to stay there overnight nowadays?

From £58 per night at the moment but I don't think it as luxurious as it once was!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently, It's Raigmore House.
I say 'apparently' because I didn't know where it was and saved the picture to my PC, intending to zoom in. The default caption on saving, contained the words 'Raigmore House'!
Seemingly it was demolished in the '60s but had been an important, strategic nerve-centre for the RAF during WW2 - and even had an underground bunker.

if what you say is correct - especially the comment about the bunker - then its looking at Raigmore estate from the south. Top left of the picture is the railway underpass leading to the longman and the railway line going left to right. Just below that would be millburn road. The A9 north does not exist (yet) so no big road next to the coastline. There is also no perspective so the building is at the top of the raigmore hill.

I do remember as a youngster that the bunker was still there in the late 70s/80s but any grand building was long gone. 

I had never heard of Raigmore House before accidentally stumbling on it here! Cheers, IHE for posting the picture. I like your 'location' break-down, Scotty - it certainly sounds correct. I'd be interested to learn more about this old facility, though, if anybody has any info. Is it a rather-well-kept-secret, or am I just showing my ignorance!

just noticed - on the left of the picture about half way down there is a slight clearing in the trees and you can see a road - that would be the old perth road leading up from millburn roundabout. The bunker is the building on the far right as far as i can tell. 

The Area Control Centre for the Inverness area during 1946-47 was located within the grounds of and in Raigmore House. Before 1946-7, this may have been the Fighter Control centre (possibly 13 Group). Raigmore House has now been demolished and the area it occupied has now been built over by a housing development. On the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, sheet 12, 1879), this house is annotated as Broomtown, but by the 2nd edition of 1904 it is named Raigmore. The OS Name Book states that Broomtown is 'a large three storey modern built mansion with commodious offices attached- situated within extensive grounds it is occupied by and the property of E Mackintosh esq of Raigmore' (Name Book 1879)
Information from RCAHMS (DE); and contained in a letter to RCAHMS from Mr A Bain, April 1999

The bunker for the Fighter Command HQ during World War II is now used as an HQ for the Emergency Services.

Good photos IHE, it would have been a beautiful house in its day, I assume that the name Mackintosh Road came from the owners name.  The bunker which is used as an emergency command center by the Highland Council which is on Mackintosh Road first left at the top of King Duncans Road.  There was another one (must have been a secret one :wink: as IHE didn't know about it) on the right up King Duncans Road was filled in about 1993 and had flats built on the site by Macrae Builders. 

• 3 weeks later...