Anyone Recognise ?

I do remember Brown Brothers but not having a cycle department though.  Another fine structure in it's day!

Nor do I remember a cycle department there. For a time it was also called Thomson Brown Brothers I think.

I assume that the photo in #82 is of the start of the demolition of the old suspension bridge in, I think, 1959. The middle man of the three looks a bit like Robert Wotherspoon who was Provost at the time. The Bank Street sign appears to be on a wooden fence which is closing off the bridge and this was probably the best place to which to relocate the sign. That looks like the back end of a Morris Minor GST something disappearing off the right margin.

Can anybody shed some light on this ?

Yup. It's Mason's electrical store at the bottom of Crown Road, opposite The Plough. The exact location would have been what is now at the side door of the Eastgate Centre car park just at the pedestrian crossing over to Eastgate. The Mason family originally lived in Dalneigh on the corner of Rowan Road opposite the school but the business must have been fairly profitable since they later moved into a large house half way up Culduthel Road.

There were something like 5 kids, one of whom was in my class in Dalneigh and the oldest one, Brian, had twin boys (Keith and Colin) who used to play or perhaps still do play for Inverness City.

The business closed, I think many years ago, but not before my dad bought our first ever (cutting edge technology!) stereo from them in about 1967. I remember the thing kept going wrong and we had to get a refund!

The steps in the photo are where that stupid waste-of-public-money art work is and were a direct link between Stephen's Brae and Crown Road.

Long before the cars! Just see the lower half of Faith, Hope & Charity on such another beautiful building which I remember as Camerons. Where did the old fountain go from outside the Town House?

Long before the cars! Just see the lower half of Faith, Hope & Charity on such another beautiful building which I remember as Camerons. Where did the old fountain go from outside the Town House?

The Forbes Fountain is now at the Riverside on Island Bank Road opposite the south west corner of Bellfield Park. Pranksters quite often fill it with detergent and the foam goes everywhere! I think the photo is 1880s approx.

• Agree 1