Anyone Recognise ?

More shops

That looks like the North side of Bridge Street in 1959 or later (because there is a Mini in the shot - eat your heart out IBM :laugh: ) with McManus's bike shop in the centre. The edge of the Gelluns is, I think, to be seem on the right hand margin.

In between is the Record Rendezvous before it moved to what replaced the Northern meeting Rooms in Church St.

There is still a Bakoo nightclub but I could not imagine you codgers enjoying a night like this in the new club !!

It was never like that in the Caley just the floor swimming in drink!

More shops

That looks like the North side of Bridge Street in 1959 or later (because there is a Mini in the shot - eat your heart out IBM :laugh: ) with McManus's bike shop in the centre. The edge of the Gelluns is, I think, to be seem on the right hand margin.

In between is the Record Rendezvous before it moved to what replaced the Northern meeting Rooms in Church St.

You are getting better Charles!  What size of engine did that one have?

More shops

You are getting better Charles!  What size of engine did that one have?

post-25-0-32490800-1423089671_thumb.jpg

IBM... come on! The size of a 1959 Mini engine is well beyond me!

The athletics photo is probably of a 100 yard handicap race at the Northern Meeting Games at some point between the early 1920s and 1938 when the meeting went defunct, never to return.

The guy second from the right who looks like the winner actually looks a bit like Eric Liddell but he never, to my knowledge, ever ran in Inverness and in any case the NMG was a professional meeting and Liddell was an amateur. On the right margin the guy in the kilt is a judge who would probably be from the ranks of the local toffs who ran the meeting.

Well my family history seems to have been closely connected to Culcabock, so why not? Smile.

IBM , since you are on  here, that mill was a very interesting place. The stone wheels for grinding the  stuff were huge and the mill water wheel even larger.

The burn that ran under the road exited downstream and meandered on to ...where?

Just beside the road there was little cottage on the bank owned by a colonel McCarthur who employed the services of my uncle Roderick (called NED) as his gardener up the brae at his large house on the right hand side. The colonel apparently "thought the world" of my Uncle since he let him occupy the cottage free of charge. So Unle Ned  could sit outside the front door looking at the burn drifting by  with Culcabock, and straddling, the burn and my Aunt lived in it for years.

That little earthen, sandy road which ran alongside the burn close to the main road has a history: -

In 1746 the redcoats were marching up the hill into Inverness when a wee boy who was standing on this wee pathway close to the main road, threw a stone(or two)  at one of them. The trooper replied by shooting the boy.!! Between that and shooting of prisoners in the jail at the foot of Church Street, it was a really bad and sad business.

Charlie Bannerman will be able to recount more on these stories I am sure. Hope so. :sad:

Well my family history seems to have been closely connected to Culcabock, so why not? Smile.

IBM , since you are on  here, that mill was a very interesting place. The stone wheels for grinding the  stuff were huge and the mill water wheel even larger.

The burn that ran under the road exited downstream and meandered on to ...where?

It run down past Millburn Distillery under the road and railway and out to sea.

Charlie Bannerman will be able to recount more on these stories I am sure. Hope so. :sad:

Will he remember as far back as 1746 :lol: 

• Agree 1

Ha! Ha! ha! Ho! Ho! Ho!

Well, with Chas anything is possible.

I am sure that with his  competence he will be able to find something on the killing of the young upstart Highlander who was shot at the Kingsmills' burn. No to mention his arduous pursuit of truth .

Can anyone  explain why the word" Kings" is included in the name of the mill?

Just beside the road there was little cottage on the bank owned by a colonel McCarthur who employed the services of my uncle Roderick (called NED) as his gardener up the brae at his large house on the right hand side. The colonel apparently "thought the world" of my Uncle since he let him occupy the cottage free of charge. So Unle Ned  could sit outside the front door looking at the burn drifting by  with Culcabock, and straddling, the burn and my Aunt lived in it for years.

That little earthen, sandy road which ran alongside the burn close to the main road has a history: -

In 1746 the redcoats were marching up the hill into Inverness when a wee boy who was standing on this wee pathway close to the main road, threw a stone(or two)  at one of them. The trooper replied by shooting the boy.!! Between that and shooting of prisoners in the jail at the foot of Church Street, it was a really bad and sad business.

The redcoats were probably CB's ancestors. :smile:

• Agree 1

If that's indicative of your understanding of the six decade campaign to restore the Stuarts, I take it you didn't do History in school then Dougie? :smile:

But let's leave stuff like that to the Referendum threads and keep to the spirit of this current excellent section of CTO.

If that's indicative of your understanding of the six decade campaign to restore the Stuarts, I take it you didn't do History in school then Dougie? :smile:

But let's leave stuff like that to the Referendum threads and keep to the spirit of this current excellent section of CTO.

Apologies, CB, did not realize that you had taken over the internet and banned all good natured craic forthwith. :smile:

• Agree 1