Anyone Recognise ?

That's the Forbes Fountain in its present location near Bellfield Park, without the "hat" on.

I'm struggling a bit with #103 since it possibly bears a passing resemblance to the North side of High St and that lane down to "the back of Woolies", but Hipps and Mayors are two businesses I've never heard of.

On the other hand the photo could well date long before (even) my time and Mayors could well have become John Collier while Hipps... I'm trying to think who used to be next along after Woolies?

However they say that people are very bad for not looking upwards in cities so I couldn't swear to the upper part of that facade being part of High St.

I think it's the Ho Ho hostel with Hipps on the left now a pawnbrokers (???) while Mayors on the right is one of these places which sells these women's (or maybe not specifically these days!) perfumey things. When you are to leeward of the place and there's a wind blowing, the pong right up or down High Street is absolutely nauseating :redcard:

I would suffer the toilets in the pre-George MacLean Phoenix ahead of that any day.

• Agree 1

I think the lane is between the Highlander Hostel (formerly the Ho Ho and before that, I think the rather posh Highland Club) and that very pongy Lush place. So that does make Lush a successor of Mayors and Symingtons (which I had thought was a pawnbrokers) a successor of Hipps.

Bakoo Nightclub, is that a Basement address and was it formerly The Billiard Hall, I spent many happy hours in there during my misspent youth pre National Service, If i remember correctly It was owned or run by a Mr Fallon................Anyone remember it ?

Bakoo Nightclub, is that a Basement address and was it formerly The Billiard Hall, I spent many happy hours in there during my misspent youth pre National Service, If i remember correctly It was owned or run by a Mr Fallon................Anyone remember it ?

Yes, originally run by Eddie, and later by his son (George?).  Do you remember how table 1 (right in front of the pay booth) was reserved for billiards and only for the best players?  I remember how proud I was when I graduated to table 1.  Also, little snooker was played in those days.  Most played a form of billiards with 5 small skittles in the centre of the table.

Happy days!  I also remember how we had to sneak in 'the back way' if we had our school blazers on!

• Agree 1