Anyone Recognise ?

Would you believe it is for the opening of the Swimming Baths ?!!

Bingo! Makes complete sense. The clothes also fit around 1936 when I think they opened.

(Must have been a hell of a lot of people needing a good wash :lol: )

But they are queuing the wrong way, the baths were back round the corner to the left!

Bingo! Makes complete sense. The clothes also fit around 1936 when I think they opened.

But they are queuing the wrong way, the baths were back round the corner to the left!

Yes, but is the front door of the baths not at the end of the building which is below the bottom of the photo so the queue will go off the bottom and snake round to the left at that point? In fat is that not the edge of the baths that we can see on the right had edge of the photo?

And the planes are queuing up at the TCS

I am taking it that this therefore is the Longman airfield. It's just that there's not enough surrounding infrastructure in the shot for me to get a definite fix on it.

The only thing that is challenging my conviction that this is a  wartime photo is that wartime security requirements would have made such pics very few and far between. However there do seem to be more aircraft there than might be expected in mid 20th century peace time, and those which are in shot look as if they may well be single and twin engined miltary aircraft.

I am no expert on these but could they be Spitfires and Mosquitoes?

Yes, but is the front door of the baths not at the end of the building which is below the bottom of the photo so the queue will go off the bottom and snake round to the left at that point? In fat is that not the edge of the baths that we can see on the right had edge of the photo?

The rear of the baths is out of view at the top left of the photo the rear of the queue is coming round from Chapel St and the front is heading towards the town, it must turn back down Friars St (some bloody queue) is IHE on the wind up none of them have towels rolled up under their arms :lol:  

the rear of the queue is coming round from Chapel St and the front is heading towards the town, it must turn back down Friars St (some bloody queue) is IHE on the wind up none of them have towels rolled up under their arms :lol:  

Yes.. that was what i was reckoning as well. Interesting point about the towels though 9there's got to be a cynical one liner there somewhere!). Maybe the queue was for a gala or some kind of opening ceremony

Definitely Scorguie, the road on the top right hand corner sweeping left is Swanston Ave, you then have Kennedy Dr and the beginnings of Woodside Crescent going off to the left. The house in the field in the middle right in the field is now surrounded by Croft Rd. 

Definitely Scorguie, the road on the top right hand corner sweeping left is Swanston Ave, you then have Kennedy Dr and the beginnings of Woodside Crescent going off to the left. The house in the field in the middle right in the field is now surrounded by Croft Rd. 

Spot on duke!

Scorguie House and some old Balnafettack land. Never mind recognise - anybody have one of these huts ?

Ballifeary Road with the RNI at the top of the picture, 1 & 3 Springfield Gardens a visible, the old camp is on what is now Torvean Avenue.  I have never herd of any camp being there will need to rely on the elder generation :wink:

Scorguie House and some old Balnafettack land. Never mind recognise - anybody have one of these huts ?

Ballifeary Road with the RNI at the top of the picture, 1 & 3 Springfield Gardens a visible, the old camp is on what is now Torvean Avenue.  I have never herd of any camp being there will need to rely on the elder generation :wink:

This might be an immediately post-war photo and if so it's possible that these Nissen huts were being used to accommodate families pending the construction of the likes of Dalneigh and Old Hilton. I do believe that this did happen in Inverness in the late 40s.

The space where the huts are in the photo has since become Torvean Avenue, with Dunachton Road and Springfield Gardens arriving above that and Warrand Road towards the top right.