Yogi not happy

Alex MacLeod

The part about the english doing what is best for their game, and us not doing so, I feel is very true.

Instead of looking at how to benefit the game in Scotland I always feel that the blazers just copy whatever the english do - just look at the names of our divisions.

It's a stupid notion on too many levels.

Go on Yogi!  :ictscarf:

• Agree 3

The problem with football is that we now have the culture where those inside are worried to make negative comments because of direct and indirect consequences from the authorities.

When the referee is on the pitch, their authority is and should be absolute, but that needs tempered with a means of making appeals (or even voluntarily rescinding) decisions such as yellow and / or red cards.  Unfortunately it is not possible to change scores or to amend points as there is no way to tell, unless it was beyond doubt, how a game could have turned around and then possibly turned back again - look at our semi-final when 2 men and a goal down until almost the last second.  Add to that, as I posted elsewhere, there needs to be an effective means of monitoring the performance of the refs to achieve high standards at the top level.

Too often the principle of the on-pitch authority is needlessly extended to include almost every aspect of the sport.  The structure of the sport and how it is applied should never be beyond criticism.  

• Agree 3

The part about the english doing what is best for their game, and us not doing so, I feel is very true.

Instead of looking at how to benefit the game in Scotland I always feel that the blazers just copy whatever the english do - just look at the names of our divisions.

It's a stupid notion on too many levels.

Go on Yogi!  :ictscarf:

The English copied the premier league idea from us.

• Agree 3

Yogi is becoming a cult hero lol and is right on so many levels.

But i have to disagree that 'summer football is the way forward'. Instead of looking to England as some sort of 'mecca of football' we should be looking to Germany because they have got it right on so many levels.

In Germany the christmas/boxing day fixtures are the played then there is a break for 4/5 weeks and then they are back into it on last week of Jan. Thats something which should be explored before we make a drastic change like summer football imo

• Agree 2

But i have to disagree that 'summer football is the way forward'. Instead of looking to England as some sort of 'mecca of football' we should be looking to Germany because they have got it right on so many levels.

In Germany the christmas/boxing day fixtures are the played then there is a break for 4/5 weeks and then they are back into it on last week of Jan. Thats something which should be explored before we make a drastic change like summer football imo

I like that Yogi speaks his mind ... it was one of the redeeming features of his predecessor although I now wonder how much of that was calculated and how much was 'off the cuff'. In Yogi's case I think it is pretty much all off the cuff. If not he would have got a few new cliches by now :lol:

Not experienced the German season but I have to agree that a lot of what they do there (safe standing for example) makes a lot of sense and this sounds like another example of where they tweak their system to suit. I would far rather we look to them than to the English Premiership.   

MLS over here is predominantly a summer game. The season starts in March and runs right through to November for those teams that reach the playoffs (for TFC that usually means we are done in September or October !). Its a necessity as there are plenty of places in North America where playing in January or February (traditionally the worst weather month on both sides of the pond) would not be possible. However, summer football also brings other pitfalls such as the heat affecting players so its a bit of a tradeoff ..... for TFC we will normally start with a few fixtures away in March while the snow or cold is still here and then as it gets hotter in June/July the games will be scheduled for evenings instead of afternoons. There is also the issue of the domestic calendar not aligning with FIFA which can have an adverse effect.

Overall I am a fan of summer football, its far nicer being in the stadium with a refreshing beer in the sunshine than freezing your b*****s off after trudging through a foot of snow ...... but its not the holy grail that some think !      

That would not work you could have a break throughout January then 3 weeks of bad weather in February that would knock the fixtures for six!

Having chatted with a trainer of our local youth team, he was not a fan of the summer football idea, due mainly to the damage that the pitch would get during what is prime growing season, so over a few seasons it would be patchy and probably cost more to replace top-soil more often.  Made sense at the time but since I am not a qualified groundsman I don't know how much that would differ from the care and maintenance a Premier league pitch gets now.

Mind you, if we got a 4G artificial pitch, as discussed elsewhere, that aspect of the discussion becomes moot.