Chris Carter

Laurence

Nothing like keeping it topical, Do you think Scotland should be playing Martin Buchan or Tom Forsyth in central defence ? What do you think about colour television, will it catch on ?

Goodness me! But you are right. The SNP did indeed start basing their case for Separation on oil away back in the days of Martin Buchan and the infancy of colour TV. What a shame that such a longstanding "in with the bricks" way of political life should find itself so suddenly demoted to "a bonus" when its threadbare nature becomes exposed.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I just thought that this document prepared by Dr. Chris Carter ( a native of the Highlands) was of some interest to  non biased people like Kingsmill who is the most affable of posters, ( according to his cohorts on this web platform),  would appreciate and realise he does not have a monopoly on wisdom

I just thought that this document prepared by Dr. Chris Carter ( a native of the Highlands) was of some interest to  non biased people like Kingsmill who is the most affable of posters, ( according to his cohorts on this web platform),  would appreciate and realise he does not have a monopoly on wisdom

I sincerely hope you don't think that article was balanced and unbiased Laurence.

I sincerely hope you don't think that article was balanced and unbiased Laurence.

Or that anybody could be bothered to read beyond the first line to be honest!

• Agree 1

Charles is a native of the Highlands, afaik, Laurence......so are you saying that, by dint of his origins he does not hold a specific view of the whole referendum debate and does not slant his opinions to promote that view.....or do you just think, because you agree with him, he is correct and everyone else who thinks differently simply do not yet recognise that Unionists have the monopoly on wisdom? 

Charles is a native of the Highlands, afaik, Laurence......so are you saying that, by dint of his origins he does not hold a specific view of the whole referendum debate and does not slant his opinions to promote that view.....or do you just think, because you agree with him, he is correct and everyone else who thinks differently simply do not yet recognise that Unionists have the monopoly on wisdom? 

I'm a native of the Highlands. I believe Kingsmill is as well. I'm also quite sure that, although he may be a very intelligent person, Kingsmill does not purport to having a monopoly on anything. It does seem to me, all the same, that someone who has chosen to live in, and trade from, the Highlands comes across as very anti-Highlander. A trait that displays a severe lacking in wisdom.

I'm a native of the Highlands. I believe Kingsmill is as well. I'm also quite sure that, although he may be a very intelligent person, Kingsmill does not purport to having a monopoly on anything. It does seem to me, all the same, that someone who has chosen to live in, and trade from, the Highlands comes across as very anti-Highlander. A trait that displays a severe lacking in wisdom.

That is the most strange thing I have ever read on this platform

Sounds as daft as those Highlanders who marched  in 1745

They had no choice. They were compelled to do so by their clan chiefs who in turn considered themselves obliged to Charles Edwart Stuart. It was all part of a feudal system which, regrettably, still lives on in part since a number of these Hooray Henrys still own much of the land up here and even have titles.

I don't know how well it's appreciated that all these Jacobite rebellions and the so called Glorious Revolution which they followed were simply civil wars about which brand of royalty was going to rule over the people - Protestant or Catholic.

Unfortunately the option of not having any royalty at all didn't enter into it.

They had no choice. They were compelled to do so by their clan chiefs who in turn considered themselves obliged to Charles Edwart Stuart. It was all part of a feudal system which, regrettably, still lives on in part since a number of these Hooray Henrys still own much of the land up here and even have titles.

I don't know how well it's appreciated that all these Jacobite rebellions and the so called Glorious Revolution which they followed were simply civil wars about which brand of royalty was going to rule over the people - Protestant or Catholic.

Not trying to offend anyone Charles.  I well remember my mother lamenting that they got cold feet and returned to be defeated.

My Dad on the other hand was of the opinion that even if they had carried on to London.  8 thousand men in a strange land entering a City of something like 100,000 population would not have got very far.

Especially when the armies of the government turned up

They did try to manage without any royalty  when they took on Cromwell. But there was a rejection because they were ramming puritanism down every bodies throats. I also note that since William of Orange  the power of the monarch has been non existent even George had no power who is often quoted as being the king who was responsible for the problem.

I am not a historian, I believe it is part of your scope of excellence according to one of my friends who knows you well. So I don't want to cross swords with you on this. My Dad a catholic always maintained he was descended from the esteemed Lancashire , Jacobites  and claimed his forebears manned the  field guns at Culloden because the Highlanders lacked the skills . 

I was replying to a post that inferred that Highlanders had some sort of special qualities the rest of us lack .

I know it is called a civil war but in actual fact because the conflict was not equal and not universal, with little support south of Lancashire. Could not really be called a civil war.

My Dad a catholic always maintained he was descended from the esteemed Lancashire , Jacobites  and claimed his forebears manned the  field guns at Culloden because the Highlanders lacked the skills . 

I was replying to a post that inferred that Highlanders had some sort of special qualities the rest of us lack .

I know it is called a civil war but in actual fact because the conflict was not equal and not universal, with little support south of Lancashire. Could not really be called a civil war.

It is slightly tempting to reply to some of this, but I really have to say that the excellent threads running on Olde Inverness just now are far more inspiring!

That sentence couldn't be further from the truth Charles. Want to know who owns Scotland look here. http://www.highlandclearances.co.uk/clearances/postclearances_whoownsscotland.htm