Hamilton -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Another great win and five in the row is a superb achievement (when was that last done by ICT?).  

Well done to the 500 fans who attended today.

Five wins in a row equals our best at the top level!

Last achieved in 2007/08 and also the season we won all our post-split games under Charlie Christie (2005/06).

Another record could come our way next week if we beat County!

As noted by Caley Mad In Berks, Hughes simply must get Manager of the Month for January!

It is tempting to start dreaming about what this team could achieve this season - but for me, for now, that's top-six certainly clinched!

Worrying about Deano - I suppose the prognosis depends on how much ligament damage has been sustained. I don't think we need to be making a panic goalkeeper signing in the remaining days of the transfer window, young Cammy Mackay can be the bench 'keeper.

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

A bit like Tuesday night, we took a while to get started, about 20 mins in fact, but after that it started to look like only a matter of time. What a good side we've got at the moment. Nicky's goal was an absolute peach in the build-up and the finish.

I thought Lanarkshire was supposed to be a bit of an employment black spot? The Accies fans who streamed out with 20 mins to go obviously didn't care about getting value for their hard earned cash :lol:

The first half was p1sh, and I was wondering if this was a case of "you get what you pay for".

Credit to Hughes, we came out in the 2nd half having dispensed with the patient, possession approach which hadn't been working due to Hamilton pressing us all over the pitch. Pacier, much more direct approach paid dividends and Mckay spurned a couple of good chances before we deservedly (but flukily) went ahead.  The second goal was so well worked - I think it was Mckay who turned down the chance to shoot from a tight angle and played it across the goal to Draper, who had a good shooting opportunity but played it back to Nicky who side footed it into the net with ease.  Lovely.

Did anyone else think, though, that Warren was going to get a 2nd yellow when he appeared to be a tiny bit late in a challenge?  I thought there were quite a few tight calls that all went in ICT's favour, and the Hamilton fans would appear to agree.

Good to see Derek and his Dad finally admitting they are ICT fans!! A brave move to sit amongst them though. 

Apart from the Brill injury, this was another fantastic performance from the team. I am quite happy to reach half time at 0-0 regardless of performance because we do seem to start wearing teams down in the second half. Shinnie certainly worked his socks off and was an inspirational leader. 

Meekings header was matched by a fantastic save. 

Nick Ross has certainly grabbed his chance with his goal engineered by Billy and then unselfishly laid off by Draper.

The Ross County game should be a must attend match because it has the potential to elevate us above the League Champions elect (Aberdeen) but equally provide Ross County with invaluable points. Chelsea were beaten today with a goal by an ex-ICT player so we must beware of the under dog next week. 

JH's interview suggests that Deano's injury might not be as bad as first thought

JH's interview also suggests that 48 less 39 is 11.

(For the record, we were 5 points ahead of Hamilton this morning, so the gap is now 8.)

Edit to add: but who cares if his arithmetic is a bit dodgy if he can turn a game at half time like that!

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

JH's interview suggests that Deano's injury might not be as bad as first thought

JH's interview also suggests that 48 less 39 is 11.

(For the record, we were 5 points ahead of Hamilton this morning, so the gap is now 8.)

Edit to add: but who cares if his arithmetic is a bit dodgy if he can turn a game at half time like that!

I think its just he didn't have the table in front of him to check, it was throwing me today too on the BBC website as you wernt sure if you were looking at the real table before full time or the as it stands table during the match.

Under 12s go free for the County match.

Didn't think we were at the races in the first half yesterday. As AM rightly says Accies were pressing us very high up the park and not letting us play it out from the back like JH likes us to do. Imrie especially seemed to be buzzing around our centre backs and there were a couple of mistakes made which, fortunately for us, didn't result in anything. Most of the first half was a midfield scrap. I can't remember us creating too many chances and the best opportunity for Accies was probably the effort from #22 which dipped quickly and almost caught out Brill.

The second half though turned the way of ICT and we started to find ourselves in some great scoring positions. Only a few minutes into the second half Mckay found space in the box about 10 yards out but his effort was expertly saved by McGovern. Perhaps indicative of the game so far the opener was also pretty scrappy. A ball hooked over the Hamilton defence was pounced on by Shinnie, his shot was saved by McGovern but as the ball rebounded back out it hit the onrushing Hamilton defender and looped over McGovern and into the net. Very fortunate but happy to take it.

McGovern was back in action shortly after denying both Meekings and Mckay from extending ICT's lead. Meekings had his header from a Tansey corner turned round the post and Mckay had another goal bound shot blocked. However the second goal soon arrived. Inverness attacked down the Hamilton right and Mckay played a ball across goal to Draper who played a neat pass back into the middle of the box and Nick Ross seized on it to make it 2 - 0.

Only sour note was the injury to Brill. He jumped to claim a high ball and either collided with another player or he landed awkwardly. Apparently he's "popped his knee" which sounds disgusting but JH has said it may not be as bad as first feared. Hopefully he's back soon although I am quite content with Esson deputising for him.
  • Agree 1

Did anyone else think, though, that Warren was going to get a 2nd yellow when he appeared to be a tiny bit late in a challenge?  I thought there were quite a few tight calls that all went in ICT's favour, and the Hamilton fans would appear to agree.

Yeah, I thought the ref actually started going for his card and then stopped when he realised he would have to send Warren off. It was a pretty clumsy challenge and he couldn't have had too may complaints if he'd got a second yellow, but someone yesterday - think it might have been RiG - felt that the first booking was largely given because of an overreaction from the Hamilton player, so maybe justice was done. Can't say I remember the first booking terribly clearly myself. 

A few things I noted yesterday:

1/ it must have been sunny in Inverness recently, as Danny Williams has got a cracking tan!

2/ Nick Ross was brilliant today, in attack and defence. The amount of times he (and Shinnie) 'bought' fouls around our own box when under pressure really helped us slow the game down and protect our lead.

3/ is that Hamilton LB really rated at over £1million!?

4/ the ref had the Brian Graham dive on his mind, as he was very favourable to us today. Warren could have been cautioned twice and Hamilton (especially Imrie) were denied countless free kicks that they would get on another day.

5/ We need to get Meekings signed up ASAP! Excellent display from him again.

Did anyone else think, though, that Warren was going to get a 2nd yellow when he appeared to be a tiny bit late in a challenge? I thought there were quite a few tight calls that all went in ICT's favour, and the Hamilton fans would appear to agree.

Yeah, I thought the ref actually started going for his card and then stopped when he realised he would have to send Warren off. It was a pretty clumsy challenge and he couldn't have had too may complaints if he'd got a second yellow, but someone yesterday - think it might have been RiG - felt that the first booking was largely given because of an overreaction from the Hamilton player, so maybe justice was done. Can't say I remember the first booking terribly clearly myself.

I think the booking was deserved in the first half, as the challenge had Warren lifting his leg up to waist height for no reason. If he had just caught tr man on the legs then I reckon he would have got away with just conceding the foul, no card.

ANOTHER AGONISING AFFAIR AGAINST ADMIRABLE ACCIES

post-25-0-84090600-1422186364.jpg

There was as much chance of seeing a goal in that first half as being served in one of the local hostelries. However I was later advised that the local publicans had feared an influx of Old Firm fans due to the Cellic playing early doors and Sevco getting postponed. Anyone we managed to squeeze in to the Tap to raise a dram to Frank McAvoy and Alex O'Neil. If you had been doing a pay at half time to define your entertainment rating then 10p may just have been feckin accurate !!

To be fair to Hamilton I thought that they bossed the first half whilst not really looking like a threat. To be fair also we did look solid at the back throughout and it was a couple of indisciplined moments of our making that jangled the first half nerves. Deano had one of his moments after 5 opening minutes when he clattered Meekings with an attempted clearance sclaff. The other was yet another needless booking for Gary Warren but the spirited Jesus Garcia then sent a free-kick over the bar. Fortunately the much derided Imrie also sclaffed his chance as well. Forgive me if I am wrong but our only efforts were both from Greg Tansey and only one was on target and did not exactly test Pinocchio McGovern. Deano to be fair redeemed himself holding a decent strike from Tony Andreu. And then they sold out of feckin pies before the half time whistle.

Yet again we came out in the second half like men possessed. I am really not sure what happened in the first 45 but we looked like we were going for a 1-0 on the break. We hardly put two passes together and then we play them literally off the pitch. Some of the passing and especially the movement was a joy to behold. Canning looked very nervy and perhaps the onus of player manager may be too much for him. His slip let in wee Billy and although Pinocchio saved well that was the cue for a change in the bossing. Grant Gillespie saw appeals for a Hamilton penalty turned down early in the second period but that really was the only scare we got from then forwards, Wee Billy then showed another side to his repertoire and set up both the goals - the second being as good a team effort as I have seen in a while. On 53 minutes Wee Billy looped a pass towards Graeme Shinnie, whose his shot rebounded off both McGovern and Gillespie before nestling in the net. It may have been slightly fortunate but it was well deserved. Pinnochio then prevented wee Billy and then turned a Meekings header wide.

With fifteen minutes to go we made the game safe with a delightful passing move. Again wee Billy and Ross Draper were the architects - combining down the left to provide an inviting cross that Ross duly slammed past a helpless Pinnochio. Draper possibly could have scored himself but he laid it off to Nick Ross. It was noticeable that the second goal heralded a stampede of departures from the away end as the Old Firm hangers on decided to leave and head for the Buckfast shop. And two eminent gypsies left early doors as well from the midst of the away support. Substitute Aaron Doran passed up a late opportunity to add gloss to the scoreline. But to put an absolute damper on the day Deano collapsed, under no apparent pressure, and it looked like he had jarred his knee. It was more worrying that it took almost 4 minutes to treat him and he was carted off on a stretcher. That also gave rise to the biggest cheer of the day for the return of the Esson. Lets hope Deano's injury is not as bad as once feared but I would say the we are extremely fortunate to have Ryan as back up.

So we had seven shots in the second half with six on target, 60-40 possession and four corners. We only committed five fouls over the 90 minutes and, irritatingly to me, two of them resulted in two more needless bookings with Draper following Warren into the book. I even thought Brian Colvin had a good day at the office.

I will leave it to Yogi to sum up the day - "I didn't enjoy the game .. There was a real apprehension before the game. We were getting a bit complacent and it showed in the first half... Second half we got back to what we're all about. Even if it wasn't a great performance it showed me the spirit and that's what got us the win. They were the better team in the first half and played some nice football. In terms of us getting on the ball and making things happen that's the worst I've seen us for a long while...But, credit to them in terms of still keeping that clean sheet... We're punching well above our weight. Our main goal at the start of the season was to stay up. I'm serious.. I'm just lucky I'm working with a bunch of boys that want to improve as footballers. We've got a happy, spirited team. It's all about getting results and if you're getting results your job is made easy". That must be the first time that I have wholly concurred with the closing statement from one of our managers :notworthy:

post-25-0-40239000-1422186439_thumb.jpg

SMILEYMOMETER :smile: 

DEANO :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  To be fair he had little to do but did his job when asked - GET WELL SOON BIG MAN

RAVEN :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  A quiet day at the office. Did not really notice him that much.

MEEKINGS :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Again effective and nearly scored with a cracking header.

WARREN :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Again solid but I do wish that he would cut out the needless fouls which lead to needless bookings and needless suspensions.

TREMARCO :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Humble pie time fer moi !!  Excellent performance and that included coming forwards. Much improved an my MOM

WILLIAMS :smile:  :smile: :smile:  Another who was quietly effective and played in a more defence minded mode. And possibly suffered from the performances of Tremarco and Shinnnie and our preference to play down the left.

DRAPER :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Excellent "holding" display but the same negative comments as Warren

TANSEY :smile: :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Reminds me of a modern day Gary McAllister and that IS a compliment

ROSS :smile: :smile:  :smile:  Not quite sure what his role was but will give similar comment as to Williams. Did he take his goal well with calmness and assurity. 

McKAY :smile: :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Poor wee Billy must have been as frustrated as the fans in the first half but showed in the second that there is more to his game than goalscoring. And his constant movement was a joy to watch and relive.

• Agree 8

Can't be anyone but Yogi for Manager of month.

Noooo...the award is a curse, give it Aberdeen or Dundee Utd :wink::ohmy:

Getting the MoTM award for January...and then carrying on in the same manner, must be the ultimate indicator of a good manager!

A good win against a side desperate to get back to winning ways...hats off to Yogi for using plan B in the second half, it sounded a bit of a struggle in the first half.

Another golden double for me this weekend with my other side winning away from home as well

• Agree 1