Disgusting ICT 'fan' behaviour at Hamilton

Murchie

It really was cringeworthy at best. Some of the neutrals around me were unable to stifle embarrassed laughter at the stupid wee barking dog noises as well as the abuse of Imrie. The thing is, there's very little chance that Imrie would even have heard him as it's doubtful his squeaky voice would have carried the distance through the air to the pitch.

Plenty of non caley fans in our end by all accounts,

Any chance it was some of those

I rarely go on the P&B forum, but had a look earlier, to see if anymore could be gleaned on this. It's true, it appears the away end's numbers were swelled by Lanarkshire based 'Old Firm' fans, with The Rangers game off and Celtic up in Dingwall. However, according to the OP, the 'culprit' in his case was wearing an ICT scarf.

If you feel strongly about something at a match-say something-don't just walk out- I know for a fact that one of the individuals was spoken to at half time. If the noise is too much - just move further away-not out of the stadium-the team deserve our support at the end of the day.

• Agree 2

I took one of my boys to his 1st competative football game yesterday. He is 12. As I don't tolerate swearing/name calling from the kids(I know hard for some to believe), I explained before the game that there will be unsavoury language, songs and chants and sat along from where the main singing crowd was. The worse chants/shouts we heard were from the drunk Hamilton "fan"(suspect there may have been an OF influence). Son just laughed at him and carried on watching the game. The ICT songs/singers he thought were great and funny and he joined in with the songs he knew. He wants to move closer to the noise at the next game I take him to.

Walking out is just rediculous. Just move, or talk to steward, or, your god forbid, speak to the person that is causing you grief. The kids now think its acceptable the only option to a problem, is to walk away. 

• Agree 5

I wasn't there to witness this event but surely if it was only one person spouting this bile then somebody could have gagged him? Also with the wonders of modern technology there doesn't appear to be any photos or, perhaps more importantly, recordings of this/those idiot(s) for evidence, well, not that I have seen anyway. You will always get abuse at football matches but this one does sound extreme and needs to followed up to prevent it happening again. As for leaving the game I find that a bit harsh as I'm sure would have been many others areas to sit out of ear shot. I sincerely hope the perpetrator can been found and brought to book.  

• Agree 1

Swearing, coarse language and innapropiate remarks are yelled out at grounds across this country. If you went and supported anyone else it would be no different. Football attracts all kinds of people. Most can tolerate it but I understand those that don't want to. Throwing accusations at individuals is totally unnecessary though. Especially when you don't know if they were even at the game.

For those with youngsters I understand. I work with young people for a living and it's near impossible in the world of today to Shelter them from that kind of conduct. It's highly inappropriate but it's not illegal but as has been said don't sit there twiddling. Say something to them. If that dosent work speak to security though they are pretty feckless themselves. And if all else fails move seats to quieter part of the ground. You shouldn't have to do that but that's the reality of it. While you may not agree with the behaviour and language of those around you there is very little that can stop them.

• Agree 2

Swearing at the football matches has always been a thing and I have listened to it as young boy and wasn't particularly bothered by it then/ I didn't understand what was being said anyways. I was at the game yesterday and stood in the row in front of the guy who shouted what was said in the OP whilst I don't condone it especially for a six year to be within ear shot, I didn't think it was as bad as the OP is making it out to be. The whole 'abuse' directed at the ball boy lasted a mere 5 seconds. If you felt strongly about this then you should have have taken the person aside and told him you've got a six year old at the football with you and told him to tone it down that would have been the end of it. You also had the option to move to other empty seats in the away section but to walk out of the ground and then complain on fans forum in my opinion is very counterproductive.

Regarding the Dougie Imrie chants also, they have been going about for years when he's played for Hamilton, St Mirren and Morton respectively, again it's shouldn't be condoned but it going to happen.

Anyways it's a shame you walked out of the game after 40 minutes, you missed a cracking second half.

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 3

To be honest I - believe it or not - focus as much on the actual game and may have learned to block out any surrounding abuse. Plus the voddies may have an effect as well !! I did not think that the "abuse" of McGovern and Imrie was any different to games in the past. I would have to concede that it may be different for families and that is why I have always advocated family sections for both home and away fans. And if we are talking about singling out individuals then I would have said that there were a few of them. I would admit that I joined in with a couple of the chants as did 50-100 others. And it is fair to say that we had a fair number of first time attenders but unfair to say that they were the source of the abuse

• Agree 1

There's a difference between shouting "Oh, f***" when we concede a goal, and screaming "Player X, you're a f****** c***!"

The former is forgiveable (I hope so, because I've done it from time to time); the latter is not acceptable at a football match, in the street, or whatever.  People like that should be thrown out, not tolerated.

• Agree 3

Walking out is just rediculous. Just move, or talk to steward, or, your god forbid, speak to the person that is causing you grief. The kids now think its acceptable the only option to a problem, is to walk away. 

Absolutely right.  It's probably better to read the opening post in a new context.  It's partly a complaint and it's partly massively attention seeking.  We weren't packed in like sardines.  Moving out of earshot was easily possible.  They were stewards around.  Why weren't they notified?  Why didn't the OP complain to the person directly.  Instead no, he took the most reactionary action possible and is now crying about it on here.  What kind of role model is that for a child?

We all know that there'll be swearing at the football, but it's quite easy to ignore and/or move away from.  The sad thing here is that the child could be put off ICT and/or attending matches for life and that's not a result of the swearers, it's on the part of the grandfather.  In hindsight it would've been better had someone stayed at home watching children's programmes.....and I don't mean the six year old!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Chants and songs are expected from all fans and can be very amusing at times. The total random shouting of the 'c' word in any circumstances is not acceptable and I think this is what the problem was and not the anti Imrie songs.

• Agree 2

Chants and songs are expected from all fans and can be very amusing at times. The total random shouting of the 'c' word in any circumstances is not acceptable and I think this is what the problem was and not the anti Imrie songs.

Tbf tho if you read Murchisons post further downt that's not what he is saying?Assuming he's the son of the OP?

Edited by old caley girl

I accept that but the two families that walked out around us certainly cited this as the reason. As I said in my first post I didn't have kids with me so I am not too worried but parents have to think about their children.

I accept that but the two families that walked out around us certainly cited this as the reason. As I said in my first post I didn't have kids with me so I am not too worried but parents have to think about their children.

I've always taken my boys, now teenagers. I stood on the Howden End from age 11 but always knew what was right from wrong. I'm sorry but are folk so nieve to think there will be no bad language at a football match? Would have fathered they complained at time tho rather than leave. Maybe a bit of acceptance re the swearing on one hand and a bit of toning it down on the other?

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 1