Graeme Shinnie

Crownboy

Fully expect him to play well for rest of season, however- I'll be very unhappy if he is still wearing the captains armband.....

Why he has done nothing wrong, he is moving closer to his family probably cause he has a child on the way so why should we be so harsh to a fantastic servant of the club and someone who i would gladly welcome back any time. In my view why shouldn't shinnie wear it he has been playing fantastic and i think that his move has been in the offing for ages now and he hasn't performed badly if anything he has been amazing recently and he deserves to wear it with his pride that he knows he has done everything he could with the club  

Edited by caleydawson
  • Agree 4

Fully expect him to play well for rest of season, however- I'll be very unhappy if he is still wearing the captains armband.....

Why he has done nothing wrong, he is moving closer to his family probably cause he has a child on the way so why should we be so harsh to a fantastic servant of the club and someone who i would gladly welcome back any time. In my view why shouldn't shinnie wear it he has been playing fantastic and i think that his move has been in the offing for ages now and he hasn't performed badly if anything he has been amazing recently and he deserves to wear it with his pride that he knows he has done everything he could with the club  

How can the team follow a "leader" who doesn't want to be here? 

If he makes a stand out performance in the coming weeks and that is from someone who is leaving if i was a player i would want to try even harder to show what it means to me, a leader is someone who can lead by example like their performance 

As long as Graeme continues to perform he should keep his place on the park.

If we drop him as a knee jerk reaction we stoop to the level of a club who puts a legend on gardening leave for having the temerity to submit his resignation in accordance with his contract.

I hope our club and our fans are better than that.

Ah well. very disappointed he's joining Aberdeen. Life goes on though. 

And of course pre-contracts are not set in stone - R Brittian/St Johnstone? - Could be a change of heart yet... 

What if Aberdeen form dips, McInnes becomes new Rangers manger etc, etc  Never say Never.

Also, one player doesn't make a team and have always been very comfortable with Carl Tremarco at LB. 

Hope GS has a great final half season with us.

Good to see the forum buzzing again. Lots of divided opinions on here. No doubt Yogi will defuse the situation stating that as long as GS is an ICT player that he will be considered for selection on merit as with everybody else. My stance may be old fashioned and sentimental but hey ho. Unfortunately football has become a business. But I am certain that GS will give 100% whenever he pulls on the shirt. Our squad is not big enuff or good enuff to sacrifice him. And Tremarco really has learnt from GS and by far the most improved player this season. Plus he and Shinnie bossed the Hamilton game and suit each other.

DoofersDad. I'm not sure he's even a Dons fan, despite being born and bred Aberdeen! I'm certain I read an interview of his a while ago when he conceded his football heart was with one of the Ugly Sisters!

I remember something like that as well.  He did attend Aberdeen games occasionally though apparently.  I'm sure it was a game before we played them once and the interviewer said something like "So Graeme, do you have any feelings for your hometown team" and he said "Eh, not really".

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

DoofersDad. I'm not sure he's even a Dons fan, despite being born and bred Aberdeen! I'm certain I read an interview of his a while ago when he conceded his football heart was with one of the Ugly Sisters!

I remember something like that as well.  He did attend Aberdeen games occasionally though apparently.  I'm sure it was a game before we played them once and the interviewer said something like "So Graeme, do you have any feelings for your hometown team" and he said "Eh, not really".

Found a quote “I went to watch Aberdeen a lot as a young boy because I loved football and Pittodrie was our closest ground, even if I didn’t exactly support them."

From: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-cup-final-inverness-star-3248507

I must apologise about my assumption about him supporting a big Glasgow club - he could well be a St Mirren, Raith Rovers or say, Montrose fan!

Graeme Shinnie is a professional who puts his heart and soul into what he does. ICT are still paying his wages and he will still give his all for this club if picked to play. Suggestions to the contrary are just not in keeping with the lads commitment and integrity. To suggest he lose the captaincy is no more than throwing the toys out of the pram.

Players have come and gone throughout our history and they'll continue to do so. They will also strive to be recognised while they are with us and hope to better themselves and their families at some point in their careers. That is the way of most people in most jobs. Best of luck Graeme. Shame you'll miss the chance of European competition.

• Agree 3

I question neither his integrity nor his reasons for leaving. However, as I've indicated on the transfer window thread, there is now an unavoidable conflict of interest, which might become impossible to ignore as the season progresses. Good luck to the guy, but I'm interested in what happens to ICT this season. It seems that Aberdeen are short of a left back right now, so maybe best to deprive them of him until next season so that Watkins can rip them apart in the remaining games against them! That leaves the question of whether he (or anybody) can be expected to do what is necessary to actively damage the prospects of his future employer. For me, it is unfair to put him in that position, particularly in games against the Dons. This will be a real test of JH's man management skills: Keeping GS happy while really wanting to play Tremarco in key games.. A very difficult equation!

• Agree 1

I really didn't see this coming as I had it from a very reliable source from within AFC that although Dismals offered to double his wages that Birmingham had offered more than four times what the Dons were willing to cough up. Unless Brum deal came off the table this seems a very odd choice.

Graeme has been a fantastic servant to the club and I would love to wish him well but I honestly feel that he has made a rather poor choice. The fact that I have to face an office full of gloating dandies tomorrow is making me feel a tad nauseous.

Unfortunately, we should be used to this by now. Shinnie has developed into a real talent with us and now our feeder club status is reinstated. The problem now is Yogi's pulling power and our scouting structure. With in all likelyhood, the loss of Shinnie, Mackay and Watkins at the end of the season who do we replace them with or who is going to be attracted to, what those south of Perth see as The Far North?

Graeme has been a fantastic servant, and wish him well in the future, albeit not against us.

The cynic in me finds the timing a bit strange, and wonder if it being announced just now, is in hope that some sort of deal will be forced before transfer window closes. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but am puzzled as to why it's been announced now.

He has signed a pre contract and won't be moving until June. Billy Mckay has hit form but he doesn't want to stay and is considering his options so do we drop him as well. Graeme Shinnie must have been in talks for a little while and we know that he was always likely to leave so why strip him of the captaincy now. Had he signed with any other club south of the border does the same he doesn't want to stay apply? Just because he has chosen Aberdeen which I feel disappointed about doesn't mean to say that his last 6 months here will see him any less committed. We have put lots of time and effort to make him the footballer he is so surely he will be looking to go out with something special. I for one would love to see him in May becoming the first Caley Thistle captain to lift the Scottish cup. 

Maybe Aberdeen will offer £50k or so before window shuts and I'm sure ICT would take it to seal deal now. One player doesn't make a team. He has been awesome for us and deserves to make whatever career choice he deems appropriate. Maybe not as big a move as a championship club but it's not far from where he is at the moment so will be easier to move especially probably trebling his wages 90 miles away. Prob has family in both Aberdeen and Inverness. We have lost players before and will again in the future. Excited to see who comes in either now or the Summer.

• Agree 1

Maybe Aberdeen will offer £50k or so before window shuts and I'm sure ICT would take it to seal deal now. One player doesn't make a team. He has been awesome for us and deserves to make whatever career choice he deems appropriate. Maybe not as big a move as a championship club but it's not far from where he is at the moment so will be easier to move especially probably trebling his wages 90 miles away. Prob has family in both Aberdeen and Inverness. We have lost players before and will again in the future. Excited to see who comes in either now or the Summer.

While I wish Graeme well and respect his decision, I would be hugely disappointed if we sold him just now to one of our main top of the table rivals for a paltry £50,000.

He had no choice but to sign for Aberdeen after the Richard Donald Stand displayed this chilling banner for him.

post-50-0-92946800-1422229816.png

(For those that don't know, it was actually Standard Liege fans that did this to welcome a club legend who signed for rivals Anderlecht)

Edited by Yngwie

While I wish Graeme well and respect his decision, I would be hugely disappointed if we sold him just now to one of our main top of the table rivals for a paltry £50,000.

Admittedly I would disappointed if we took £50k but realistically the club would also save on his wages so this would be more money in the coffers.

Same as if an offer for A player out of contract in the summer came in that was equivalent or close to the amount of a league place, the club would accept now. Though I'm hoping we won't have too.

Part of me thinks there should be a rule stopping clubs and players announcing who they have signed/are signing for on pre contracts. Also Aberdeen making the announcement rather than letting Shinnie himself decide when to break the news (Hayes managed to do this by blanking speculation on his future for weeks) isn't unprofessional per say but it does feel like that in my opinion especially with us being big rivals right now.

• Agree 3