The "Keep/Punt/What Do We Need?" Thread

Renegade

Out of all the out of contract players (who as of yet haven't sign PCAs anywhere else), who are the ones you'd be looking to keep and who would you prefer to get rid of.  On top of that, without making this a "Who Should We Sign" thread, what types of players would you like to see brought to the club?

Out of all those out of contract, I'd like to see the following retained (even if there's a good chance they won't sign new deals) - 

• Billy Mckay
  • Marley Watkins
  • David Raven
  • Danny Devine
  • Nick Ross
  • Josh Meekings

I'd like to retain this lot for obvious reasons really - they're good players!  Despite not playing much this season, Danny Devine has always been someone who can be relied upon to come into centre-back and put in a good shift.  I also think we really need to sign Nick Ross up as well.  He's been on excellent form lately.

Release - 

• Lewis Horner
  • Liam Polworth

Horner has barely played since signing and in the U20 matches I've seen, looks no better than some of the youth players coming through.  Liam Polworth was someone who I thought had a lot of potential, but he's never really forced his way into the team or come good.  Probably best for everyone if he was released.

What do we need?  I'd like to see at least two strikers brought in, especially if Mckay goes (Ferguson will have probably coming into the team by then).  Preferably a kinda nippy, hard worker type and I'd like to see someone a bit taller come in as well, at least as an option off the bench.  Should Devine and/or Meekings go, I'd like to see a 6"3 defender come in, again to give us another option.  One that can play as a full back either side would be perfect as well!

Should Watkins go, a winger with real pace would be something else I'd like to see, but should Ross stay and with Sutherland coming through, it might not be overly needed.

• Agree 1

Likewise, I would like to see us get these boys on board as soon as we can afford to but again it's down to how Yogi sees it and how much we can afford to pay:

• Billy Mckay (Highly unlikely unless his agent fails to find him a better deal)
  • Marley Watkins (A must)
  • David Raven (A must)
  • Danny Devine (Good to have in squad but if he gets a better deal elsewhere we could replace him)
  • Nick Ross (Done well recently and has earned a new contract)
  • Josh Meekings ( A must)

I think Yogi has proved to his doubters that he is a very capable manager and I'm sure he knows what areas he needs to boost. Hopefully he has some irons in the fire already.

I agree with the two lists that you have mentioned, but i think we have to say that Mckay, like Shinnie looks to be off come the summer. What i do believe though, and maybe I'm in a daydream at the moment, is that we'll see some of the best football from the pair in the coming months. Mckay has the potential to make it in the English championship and the only way to attract that sort of attention for a decent club before the end of the season is goals, and lots of them. Was hoping Shinnie would hold out for a move down south but im sure as captain he'd want to leave the club on good terms and push for our most succesful finish ever.

The rest I believe there is potential we can hang on to them. Meekings is still very young at 22 and knowing him myself, believe if Caley offer him a year extension he would stay. Celtic or a championship club would be the move he'd like to take but come the end of this season it seems very unlikely that offer will be on the table. He enjoys working with Warren but will not commit long term.

Watkins and Raven are sure starters when fit. Unless Raven leaves at the end of the season, i can see him ending his career here but Watkins could impress some clubs if we dont wrap up his signature soon. This time last year i wasn't sure about Nick's future but he has really impressed in the last couple games and deserves to be a part of our squad. It would be nice to keep Devine - but he is replaceable.

I've not seen enough of Horner to comment really, which suggests he can go, though Polworth has had chances in the first team and has given glimpses of his potential. Maybe wouldn't be the biggest loss to the squad but I would like him to stick around for another year or 2.

I can see a few faces arriving in summer, unlikely we'll make a signing before Monday which will mean Tansey returning will be our only signing of note in 18 months. Striker yet again will be top priority, someone like Mckay who can fit into yogi's system, I dont believe Calum is ready to be first team just yet but will be good to see him get some premiership experience before May. The rest really does depend on who's leaving. Tremarco can fill in for Shinnie but is Baptie good full back cover? More depth is needed and players with SP(F)L experience is valuable, even just to have around the training ground to mentor talents coming through

• Agree 1

Nick Ross was one I would have believed to leave a few months ago and now I really hope he signs a new deal. His form in the last few games has shown what we had known about Nicky before Yogi joined the club and now I am really glad he has staked his claim under Yogi. - New Contract

Billy Mckay has been a fantastic servant for the club and scored some unbelievable and important goals for the club. I think after being at the club for a few seasons now, he will be wanting a new challenge as he seems to be reluctant to sign a new contract. I also am of the view point that we could do with a freshen up front as we have been very reliant on Mckay - reluctantly let me him leave

Marley Watkins like Mckay has been great for the club and shown great form but seems to be reluctant to sign a new contract. With Marley being so young, he is someone you'd like to think we could make money off of but if he sees his future elsewhere then we shouldn't stand in his way - reluctantly let him leave

Danny Devine hasn't featured much for the club and unfortunately won't get ahead of Meekings or Warren. I wouldn't blame the boy if he went to pastures new to get a solid first team football. - Let him leave

David Raven has been a great player for us and certainly one of the best right backs we've had at the club. He has stated his intentions to re-sign with the club and I think he is a player we could definitely rely on for a few season yet. - New Contract

Josh Meekings is a player that is very consistent and improves every time I watch him. He could do wonders for this club and it would be very silly to let him leave for nought. I view Meekings as a future ICT captain - New Contract

Liam Polworth is a good local lad but unfortunately can't get himself established into the first team. I personally think Polworth would have a better chance progressing with his football career elsewhere unfortunately. Liam Polworth kind of reminds me of Gavin Morrison. - Let him leave

Lewis Horner previously worked under Yogi at Hibernian but it's just not worked out here to be honest. I would like to have seen more of Horner and who knows we may do before May comes but I seriously doubt. - Let him leave

What do we need?

1x Right Back - a back up to Raven

1x Centre Back - a replacement for Devine should he leave

1x Centre Midfielder - a replacement for Polworth and Horner

1x Winger - a replacement Watkins

1x Striker - a replacement for Mckay

I would like to see us go for a goal poacher similarlary to Kris Boyd in his prime (just less lazy) when looking for a striker, someone that could bury Carl Tremaro's decent crosses into the box.

I would like to see us get a commanding centre mid that could be a direct replacement for Ross Draper should he ever be sent off or injured because I feel when Draper is missed we lack a bit of bite in the midfield.

A back up for Raven is self-explanatory. Shinnie won't be here next season to take up the role and I would like a natural right back to be at hand and not just use Tremarco for the hell of it

A centre back is self-explanatory also, we should look for a similar player to Warren or Meekings.

A winger for replacement for Watkins. We need a fast paced winger, who can chip in with the attack like Watkins has been doing

I just think now is the time, we need to take the team to a new dynamic and try and freshen us up a bit.

You wouldn't even offer Mckay and Watkins a deal?!  Jesus!

I'd be offering Devine a deal as well, even if there's a good chance he'll turn it down.

Edited by Renegade

You wouldn't even offer Mckay and Watkins a deal?!  Jesus!

If both Mckay and Watkins were more committal to ICT then absolutely but it doesn't seem like it at this stage. I would love us to be in a position to re-sign both players but it doesn't seem likely. If they want to go elsewhere then I don't think we should stand in their way and as I said I think we could benefit as a club with a bit of a freshen up with new players.

I agree with the OP's selections. I too think Devine should be retained as he's the natural replacement for a centre-back berth if (and when) Warren or Meekings has to miss a game or two. Draper can slot in there too, but obviously prefer him utilised in midfield.

I'm still 'torn' though, about Polworth! I remember when he made his debut as a (16?) year-old, and assumed he'd develop into a regular starter in the side.

He's become a bit of a fringe player recently but has undoubted talent. As he's an Inverness boy, I'll let sentiment rule my head - offer Polly a one-year-deal! 

Billy is offski, Marley 50/50 but I doubt he will stay.

Meekings, Ross and Raven I'd retain. All three are key players and there contribution will be even more pivotal if we face a bit of a rebuild.

Polworth has done nothing to convince me he is worth a place in the team and the fact he barely makes it onto the bench says it all - time to bin him. Same with Horner, hes no use.

Devine by the summer will have been here for 2 and a half years and while he looks decent he's never been able to break up Warren or Meekings for any length of time. If he values his career I would imagine he will move on in search of games. Though were Meekings to leave I'd get Devine signed up. 

• Agree 1

I think there are some very cruel posters on here. What have Polworth and Horner done to deserve being binned. They're both young. They're both midfielders. So please tell me guys....Who should we have dropped to let either of them on to the team sheet?...Vincent? Draper? Doran? Ross? Watkins? Tansey? Williams? Christie?

Has it crossed anyones mind that maybe the hard work those two put in is what makes the regulars more competitive? IMO so long as we are having success with the regulars, and they stay fit, I dont want to see what the fringe guys can do.

• Agree 1

The guys that you list above neither Horner nor Polworth would get above them guys. I know it sounds harsh but football can be cruel and I personally think it would be in the best interests of the club and them two if we went our separate ways. Since Horner joined the club, I don't think he's played a first team game competitively just the friendlies. Polworth granted one of our own but Christie in my opinion is miles ahead of Polworth. I think Polworth would thrive at a lower league team in Scotland.

Just looking at that list you've posted Alex, even Richie would struggle to get ahead of them guys.

• Agree 1

Polworth has shown a good first touch, excellent range of passing and eye for goal when he's had a run out. It'd be absolutely nuts to punt him. He's only going to get better. I might consider loaning him out for some first team football, but would certainly want him back at the end of it.

• Agree 3

Polworth has shown a good first touch, excellent range of passing and eye for goal when he's had a run out. It'd be absolutely nuts to punt him. He's only going to get better. I might consider loaning him out for some first team football, but would certainly want him back at the end of it.

I agree with you Alex. He will only get better with first team game time so I don't think Yogi has an option but to put him out on loan.

Raven has been in the papers a few times now asking for a new contract. I know negotiations with some of the out of contract players will be ongoing, but it appears he has had nothing. A bit disappointing, but good he wants to stay. Surely they should at least start the discussions to get him tied up.