Older version of Dry January

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Many a guid night in here

image.jpg

Great for a ceilidh in the 70's, the down side for me was that most spoke in gaelic and I didn't have a clue what they were saying :blink: but the music was good.

Princess Margaret popping in to the Gellions back bar

:lol: And she would have drunk every man jack of them under the table! That's not far away mind you because I do believe that this will be round the corner at the Northern Meeting Rooms for a Northern Meeting Ball. The Northern Meeting really was a despicable institution where all the local Nobs and their posh Hooray Henry chums from down south used to gather up here and spend their days blasting away like lunatics at poor defenceless birds. Then of an evening they would patronise the locals and stick on their kilts for the latest of several nights on the p!sh. The high point was the Northern Meeting Ball in the Meeting Rooms which, until they were demolished in the 60s, were opposite Cameron's in Church Street. Another feature was the Northern Meeting Games at the Meeting Park where the local oiks competed in various events to entertain the assembled Nobs, although these (the Games - not the Nobs unfortunately) went bellyup before the war.

All there seems to be left now is the Northern Meeting Piping Compeititon which, judging from the hellish racket there just about every morning in the summer, seems to take place along High Street to the extreme irritation of people who work in nearby shops and offices.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Charlie--I viewed a very interesting video documentary recently on the pursuits of the Royal family when they came up to Balmoral over the years. Apparently, Hanoverian Philip was one of the most bloodthirsty deer killers in Europe. His blood lust seemingly was matched only by his bad temper and arrogance and any toff who went to Balmoral for a weekend or such angered him  greatly if they refused his inevitable invitation to accompany him on his glorious trail of death and triumph.

When the deer were scarce he went after the grouse. He was so proud of his vicious accomplishments that he insisted on loading the dinner table on a daily basis with his "kills" and 'delighted' his guests by interjecting during the meal that he hoped they all were enjoying the feast since they were eating his killings.

As Prince Charles grew up and was introduced to the noble sport he became not only a  good shot but took an equal delight in crowing about his successes. I am not sure that Charles' two sons are quite as enthusiastic as he was  but at least one did, apparently, and fitted the role of the aristocratic set by which they identified themselves as superior beings by killing indiscriminately. One  regular visitor to the August establishment, (Ballyhooimmoral), complained  that he had to tramp 4 miles to finish off one stag since the role of  being a gentleman killer demanded of this courtesy to the noble stag before he expired either from blood loss or just sheer exhaustion.

Don't get me started, eh Charles......?

• Agree 1

Charlie--I viewed a very interesting video documentary recently on the pursuits of the Royal family when they came up to Balmoral over the years. Apparently, Hanoverian Philip was one of the most bloodthirsty deer killers in Europe. His blood lust seemingly was matched only by his bad temper and arrogance and any toff who went to Balmoral for a weekend or such angered him  greatly if they refused his inevitable invitation to accompany him on his glorious trail of death and triumph.

When the deer were scarce he went after the grouse. He was so proud of his vicious accomplishments that he insisted on loading the dinner table on a daily basis with his "kills" and 'delighted' his guests by interjecting during the meal that he hoped they all were enjoying the feast since they were eating his killings.

As Prince Charles grew up and was introduced to the noble sport he became not only a  good shot but took an equal delight in crowing about his successes. I am not sure that Charles' two sons are quite as enthusiastic as he was  but at least one did, apparently, and fitted the role of the aristocratic set by which they identified themselves as superior beings by killing indiscriminately. One  regular visitor to the August establishment, (Ballyhooimmoral), complained  that he had to tramp 4 miles to finish off one stag since the role of  being a gentleman killer demanded of this courtesy to the noble stag before he expired either from blood loss or just sheer exhaustion.

Don't get me started, eh Charles......?

Spot on Scarlet. The Royals have been behaving like this for generations and one of the most bloodthirsty was the little old Queen Mother who used to go on world tours (at the tax payer's expense) and stop off here, there and everywhere to wreak slaughter on the local fauna.

By the way, it's a bit too straightforward to describe Philip Scheswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg :lol: as a "Hanoverian". Most European royals are inbreds to a greater or lesser extent but the man they call Phil The Greek is rather more of an ethnic mongrel than most. He's sort of officially Greek-Danish, but there is indeed a fair bit of the Hanoverian within a significant German side whereby certain of his relations were prominent Nazis. The embarrassing German connection isn't new and it was a liability to the Royals during WW1 as well. George V, whose surname until 1917 was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Gotha as in the kind of bombers the Germans used to wreak death on Britain with during WW1) was as German as the Brandenburg gate, although somewhat out-Germaned by his wife Princess Mary of Teck. As a result they changed their name to Windsor during the war and at the same time his cousin, Prince Louis Battenburg, who had to stand down as chief of the Royal Navy, became Moutbatten. He was also Philip's great uncle and, to avoid the embarrassment of a Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg marrying the heir to the British throne in 1947, Philip changed his name to Mountbatten. On the other hand it really didn't matter in the end since he had to face the indignity of adopting his wife's surname of Windsor.

Confused? Well let's just say that a bunch of foreigners have for decades been touring the world blasting away manically  at the local wildlife at our expense.

So, Chas, it's true then that the video I saw of the Queen as a young lady in Germany giving the Nazi salute in a back garden of a monster residence beside her sister was not a fake.......

Oh I did make a mistake  about the Hanoverian--my mind was just stuck on the Duke of Cumberland ,who crucified our past relatives at Culloden and the aftermath thereof, and was a direct relative of the then King of England who was a Hanoverian ( I think)--these two words I always put in just to cover my Irish).Gotta hand it to you, Chas--your grasp of history, when  divulged, is awesome. :crazy:

So, Chas, it's true then that the video I saw of the Queen as a young lady in Germany giving the Nazi salute in a back garden of a monster residence beside her sister was not a fake.......

Oh I did make a mistake  about the Hanoverian--my mind was just stuck on the Duke of Cumberland ,who crucified our past relatives at Culloden and the aftermath thereof, and was a direct relative of the then King of England who was a Hanoverian ( I think)--these two words I always put in just to cover my Irish).Gotta hand it to you, Chas--your grasp of history, when  divulged, is awesome. :crazy:

Still a few mistakes I'm afraid, Scarlet! The Nazi salutes (really much ado about nothing and just folk taking the p!ss out of them before many people even realised they were dangerous) took place in this country, where both the current queen and her sister were born.

I could argue a case about Culloden and its aftermath but it would probably be misunderstood and have all the Nats on here jumping up and down because it contradicted their victimisation myth.

However the Duke of Cumberland was a direct relative (son) of George II, the king of BRITAIN - Culloden took place 39 years after the Act of Union and 143 years after the Union of the Crowns. George II was also therefore also the king of Scotland and indeed both he and Cumberland had more Scottish blood than Charles Edward Stuart had. (None of them had a lot but George and his son both had more since they were two and one generations respectively closer to their closest and indeed common Scottish ancestor James I - OK James VI and I to keep dougiedanger and his fellow chippies quiet:laugh:). On which subject, the grievance mongers should also note that by the same token, BPC actually also had more English blood than the DofC since you have to go back three further generations - that's eight back from Cumberland - to find an English connection in Margaret Tudor, who was half Welsh in any case! Sorry to challenge the English conspiracy theory.

But yes, George II was essentially Hanoverian - the second generation of a Teutonic British royal tradition which still exists.