Bring on the Snow

Charles--no, unfortunately I really don't remember 1947 because I was only 9 years old at that time.

But strangely enough, I vividly remember 1945 because it was victory day in the 2nd world war and it was raining that day. So I fell off my bike applying the brakes too hard.

IHE these are terrific pictures, I would just love to cut them out and make Xmas cards from them. :yellowcard:

• 3 weeks later...

Back road from gran town to Nairn / Forres ?

Yes, the junction of the A939 & A940 (The Dava near Lochindorb)  and a bit of history for Charles (the old military road) :smile:

Ruthven Barracks was  serviced by a Thomas Telford road because of it's importance to the English invaders.

Then TT decided his commission  included opening up the Highlands to continue the pacification of the  Highlands after Culloden.

Am I right?

Ruthven Barracks was  serviced by a Thomas Telford road because of it's importance to the English invaders.

Then TT decided his commission  included opening up the Highlands to continue the pacification of the  Highlands after Culloden.

Am I right?

I don't think so Scarlet.

Regarding your first statement, Ruthven Barracks were built after the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion, about 40 years before Telford was born. I've now actually checked Wikipedia and Ruthven Barracks stand on General Wade's road built between Dunkeld and Inverness between 1728-30, so the barracks had a road long before Telford was born. And apart from Cromwell's garrison in Inverness in the 1650s, I'm not aware of any English "invaders" ever having reached the Highlands... or much of the rest of Scotland for that matter.

Regarding your second statement, Telford wasn't operating until the late 18th/early 19th century, by which time the "pacification" of the Highlands was a distant memory. In fact his most famous work in the Highlands, the Caledonian Canal, was to a large extent commissioned to regenerate the Highlands after the Jacobite rebellions and the subsequent pacification etc.

Goodness, I think we will have to keep you :crazy: on, Chas!

You just reminded me of how wrong one can be ! 

The last time I emitted these words was in Mexico when a beautiful woman was in her car and I said something off the cuff, to be swiftly corrected by the woman I was with standing outside the car. Thus placing me in a humiliating position which I swiftly reversed by use of that phrase showing how much humility I had and the beautiful Mexican girl put her hand out the windae and touched  mine in a gesture of understanding. Then  asked me if she could teach me Spanish...

Sometimes I wish we could go back and choose another road other than the one we did actually take. By now I could have been fully fluent in  Spanish, conquistador of all I surveyed and paying Spanish income tax on five children...... :wink: