Let's go out of Sneck

I have only ever seen one ice hockey match and don't intend returning. It was Aviemore Blackhawks versus (predictably) some other team whose name was a town coupled with some kind of aggressive animal at Aviemore ice Rink. It was absolutely freezine in there and I thought the game would never end because they kept having these "time outs" like American Football which I find equally tedious for the same reason.

Only ever been to one Ice Hockey game, a pre-season affair between Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks (normal people cannot afford tickets for league games - 75% of the seats are owned corporately). It was actually way back in 2000 before I moved over here and although it was fast paced and entertaining, it was not for me.

I also found baseball to be not to my liking, but did enjoy a couple of freebie tickets to the basketball last year and the year before courtesy of Toronto FC being so bad (they gave all season ticket holders a pair of tickets to a game with the ticket renewals those years). I sorta enjoyed the basketball (more than I thought I would) but again, its not something I would be getting season tickets for .... all of the above sports have that element of North American razzamatazz to gee up the crowd, whereas the football is somewhat more pure to its roots and the supporters would not stand for this kind of crap (not the ones in my section anyway). 

I have only ever seen one ice hockey match and don't intend returning. It was Aviemore Blackhawks versus (predictably) some other team whose name was a town coupled with some kind of aggressive animal at Aviemore ice Rink. It was absolutely freezine in there and I thought the game would never end because they kept having these "time outs" like American Football which I find equally tedious for the same reason.

Only ever been to one Ice Hockey game, a pre-season affair between Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks (normal people cannot afford tickets for league games - 75% of the seats are owned corporately). It was actually way back in 2000 before I moved over here and although it was fast paced and entertaining, it was not for me.

I also found baseball to be not to my liking, but did enjoy a couple of freebie tickets to the basketball last year and the year before courtesy of Toronto FC being so bad (they gave all season ticket holders a pair of tickets to a game with the ticket renewals those years). I sorta enjoyed the basketball (more than I thought I would) but again, its not something I would be getting season tickets for .... all of the above sports have that element of North American razzamatazz to gee up the crowd, whereas the football is somewhat more pure to its roots and the supporters would not stand for this kind of crap (not the ones in my section anyway). 

Each to their own I suppose.  When I lived in Canada (B.C.) for two years in the 60s, I loved Ice hockey.  Only minor league stuff, but the atmosphere at matches was great. Much better than watching it on TV.   It encouraged me to learn to ice skate!  Alas I've not done it since returning.  

I quite enjoy baseball, but I've never taken to basketball, and can take or leave American football. 

That's Jonny Cobb in his Bluebird ? Eh? 

Father came home at lunchtime one fine day when I was in my early teens and said. "Well, John Cobb is at the bottom of loch Ness".

We sat up from the table (I was home for lunch from school) and listened in awe. Hit a log or something and took a deep dive I believe. Anyone care to look it up in Wikipedia ? He would have indeed beaten the world water speed record had he lived I think.

The Crusader attempts at the world speed record :-

I remember a number of us used to cycle out to watch these attempts, which were run in the early mornings, often we were late for school by the time we got back and even were threatened with detention. However the ' Head ' got to hear about our reason for lateness and he complimented us for our enterprise !

Anyone on here amongst the few early risers of the time ??  1952, year before I left school !

It was a hugely brave yet tragic epic on the part of John Cobb and although I don't actually remember witnessing the fatal run I remember seeing the Crusader 'judder' as it picked up speed and almost lifted out of the water on one occasion, that particular run was then abandoned. You would think that witnessing the fatal run would be something you would remember but I just don't and cannot understand why.

Would that be the Gondolier on Loch Ness?

That was my first thought, but there was no other ferry.  The Glenelg to Kylerhea ferry with what looks like a Morris 10.  Could that be a steamer going from Kyle to Mallaig?