Let's go out of Sneck

26 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

You got it. Well, technically, it's Clynelish. The old Brora distillery is just behind it and is set out like a museum.

I now know what you do when your not at the football ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

And sometimes AT the football if nobody's watching ?

This one should be easy, but there is a Caley connection:

00002110.jpg

I'm sure that's at Dunbeath but don't know why there would be a Caley connection. 

17 hours ago, IBM said:

I'm sure that's at Dunbeath but don't know why there would be a Caley connection. 

Some quick research suggested a loose connection to me.  The author Neil M Gunn was born in Dunbeath, and in the 1920s took up post as a customs officer at the Glen Mhor distillery, next to the Telford Street ground.  Is that it?

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Some quick research suggested a loose connection to me.  The author Neil M Gunn was born in Dunbeath, and in the 1920s took up post as a customs officer at the Glen Mhor distillery, next to the Telford Street ground.  Is that it?

Spot on. Neil Gunn also had a house in Dochfour Drive. He died in 1973. I'm sure he must have been at a Caley game sometime but can't prove it ? I was collecting Neil Gunn first editions when I was younger, and my son Niall is named after him. I got a couple of signed first editions from the wifie in the Victorian Market, must have been about 1992.

The monument is 'Kenn and the Salmon' from 'Highland River'. 

Edited by TheMantis

18 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

IBM , where do you get all those great pictures? OR maybe how ?

For me , having led an indoors life mostly as a youth, it's an education. Great thread Scotty…!

Scarlet, I was lucky to travel throughout the Highlands and Islands working for BT.  I wish I had a decent camera in the early years and was able to take more photos, although I now have a good digital camera I just have it set on auto and hope for the best :smile: 

Here is an early photo of poor quality with a Kodak Instomatic camera when I was working on the first fibre optic telephone cable which run alongside the railway line from Lochailort to Arisaig and was burnt when the steam train set fire to the heather beside the line.  There was some noise standing about 10 feet away when it passed!

img113.jpg

Yes!

The picture from Mantis is stunning. Oh my,  beautiful picture indeed. That's a golden eagle I presume.

We also  have large eagles here on the west coast of Canada.  No wonder, some of the coastal forests here are so huge that you could park a bus in them. A thousand years old and still living and growing. However coastal loggers have reduced the number of  trees remarkably. Western Canada city houses and buildings are substantially built from wood with plastic sheets on the outside walls. And yet they look good from the outside except that the price of housing now in Vancouver city has literally gone through the roof.