Let's go out of Sneck

10 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Crucifixion Cave on Davaar Island

Yip, taken this year. I have a slide somewhere from about 1994. A few years later it got vandalised and JC was turned into Che Guevara ? so it’s been restored but there’s a slight difference.

5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Yip, taken this year. I have a slide somewhere from about 1994. A few years later it got vandalised and JC was turned into Che Guevara ? so it’s been restored but there’s a slight difference.

It was originally thought to be an old painting but it turned out to be the art teacher from the local secondary school had painted it

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I have only been to Campbeltown a few times and don't remember seeing an island out in the loch.  Thought it was such a dour place even worse than Wick although there were some nice places on the way down the road. 

DCP_2488.JPG

DCP_2489.JPG

It's just like Wick, a long way from anywhere. Very run down looking, but obviously has had better days. 3 distilleries running but originally held about 30.

Here's how you get to Davaar when the tide is out. The crucifixion cave is away round to the right.

IMG_4406.jpg

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Not too hard:

Loch Awe Hotel and Station.  With that lens you have it makes Loch Awe look like a river when you took the photo from the Cladich road.  I had to think quite a bit!

13 hours ago, IBM said:

Where is this?

IMG_0592.JPG

Ardverikie? Just guessed but checked it by google. Driven past the lodge on the Loch Laggan Road many times and it struck a chord. Been on all the hills around there but never been there.

Thought that one would be too hard. Miles from the main road, you can get in from Loch Laggan if you have a key to the gate. The alternative is Corrour station, the one in Trainspotting, and a 4 mile walk.
It’s Corrour Lodge by Loch Ossian. A group of us stayed in a building called the Chapel which was old but we never got past the door of the lodge.
Also  stayed at Loch Ossian Hostel a few times, at the other end of the Loch.

Corrour Lodge Wiki

Edited by TheMantis

Well I am seeing another side of Scotland and some very interesting buildings in the process. Thank you all for being so thoughtful about displaying all of them.

Amazing really. And thoughts of long ago meander in and out of my musings about what the folk did long  ago. Hardworking folk and  a pretty hard life as they grew older I think.

2 hours ago, weeman said:

Balintore for the mermaid.

Re Corour, last time I was there the owners had their own purpose built sauna on the edge of the loch in front of the house.

I think you probably mean this place:

P1030373.JPG

On 12/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, IBM said:

You do get about Mantis! I thought I would have had more time since I retired but it hasn't been like that. I seemed to take more photos when I was working. 

Started hostelling with my pals at 16. Everywhere from Glen Affric to Land’s End. Did all the Munros  during the 1980s. Slowly gathered Corbetts after that but I’m not able to finish them all. Still in the same hillwalking club since 1981 and take many short breaks with Mrs Mantis. Also Mrs Mantis is from Lewis so we go over there a lot.
We decided a few years ago not to buy each other anything valuable at Xmas as we’ve got enough stuff, so we go away in January for a few days instead. Last two years have been Venice and Alicante but this year it’s Mull, haven’t been there for 30 years. 
2019 has been quite good, Alicante in Jan, Lewis in Feb and Sept, Gigha and Campbeltown in March, Barra in May, Faroes for a week in June, Kinlochbervie and Handa in July, Eigg in Sept, and 2 weeks in Bergen and western Norway in Oct? 
Now I’ll away and look at your puzzler. Don’t think I’ve been there though ?

You have been to many places well off the beaten track Mantis!  There will be many photos that I would never be able to even guess.  Mull is a beautiful island but you will not notice any improvements in the roads in 30 years.  I have never been to Barra or the small isles there is still time.  Enjoy your travels we have a beautiful country although many folk do not appreciate it :smile: