Let's go out of Sneck

22 hours ago, IBM said:

It was a family home on a large estate in Ross-shire until the 70's.

There is a strong link between the estate and the Brahan Seer.

Think this might be Rosehaugh near Avoch if it's connected with Coinneach Odhar. He was supposed to be from Uig in Lewis so I've heard all about him. I think he lives on in Johndo. 

On 5/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, IBM said:

Meallmore.

Just remembered that when I was at secondary school (the Academy) in the early 70s, a daughter of the people that owned Meallmore Hotel was in my year.  Marian MacLeod.  No idea what she did after we left school.

That makes her an exact contemporary of IHE, too, as well as Dave Milroy, Billy Urquhart and others.

Went round it when I was looking for a care home for my Mum.  It still looks pretty much like that, although they have added a more modern block at the right-hand side.  https://www.meallmore.co.uk/our-care-homes/meallmore-lodge/

8 hours ago, dumpmaster said:

I think its Fairburn House out near Marybank ?

You were correct dumpmaster Mantis was struggling :lol: but not asking for more clues.  It was last owned by Roderick Sterling who sold it and moved to Arcan Mains but he still run the estate.  My grandfather worked in the sawmill there from the early 50's until 1975 when he retired so I know the estate very well.  There was a recent report that Fairburn Tower which is a ruin could be rebuilt and that is where the Brahan Seer said that a calf would be born in the top of the tower and it was!

Here is a link to Fairburn Estate which has been updated since I last looked there are some good photos.

https://fairburn-estate.co.uk/

Edited by IBM
Adding in link.
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, dumpmaster said:

Well done Mantis ...that didn't take you long

I did know it but was out clapping for the NHS and he bet me to it :clapping:

Now on to his I don't know right now but I will have a look every so often and see if it rings a bell :ponder:

3 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Oh well that didn’t last long, knew I should have picked somewhere further south 😂

Thanks, I have just added a link to Fairburn Estate above.

12 hours ago, IBM said:

Here is one Mantis should get although it is a wee bit before he was born, the buildings have not changed much over the years.

SC01291923.jpg

Nice one. Port Askaig. Hoping to be there in September, fingers crossed. 

• Agree 1