Let's go out of Sneck

1 hour ago, IBM said:

The Glenlivet behind the hedge on google maps :lol:  I would have got a distant view while travelling from Tomintoul to Dufftown but not enough to remember it.

That’s one of the warehouses if I remember right. The guide back then was a man called Dennis. Funniest guy you ever met.

You guys are good!

The reason my Dad took that photograph was that he had several times stayed at the house on the shores of the loch, just right of centre in his picture.  I stayed there once.

It used to be - and for all I know may still be - the residence of the head gamekeeper on that estate.  In the 1940s, that was my father's uncle. His son, my father's cousin, succeeded him.  We had a family holiday there in the late 60s.  I have photographs of the place from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

The estate was owned by Anne Grosvenor, Duchess of Westminster, who was, of course, absolutely stinking rich. When we were there in the 60s, I saw her arrive by her usual mode of transport - seaplane "landing" on Loch More. An Irish lady who was very much into horseracing, two of her most famous horses bore the names of mountains on her land - Arkle and Foinavon [sic].

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

No idea - but I'm sure that IBM will tell us what the car is :lol:

No idea on the car this time far too early for me :shrug:

Is it Kincraig Castle near Invergordon?

10 hours ago, IBM said:

I have it now Braal Castle Halkirk.  The last time I was there about 10 years ago it was converted to flats.

Well done, pity about the car though !! 

The new Castle in Halkirk was built in the late 19th century.

The original castle is now in ruins and lies to the right and behind the new one.

The ruin, as well as the modern castle of Braal now belong to the Sinclairs of Ulbster.

The old castle at Braal is of Norse origin, though probably not in its present form, and is of striking contrast to other castles in Caithness.

Situated among woods on the west bank of the Thurso River at Halkirk, it is without doubt the best preserved of the Norse castles. It was the principal seat of John, 24th Earl of Caithness (1206-1231).

The castle was originally known as Brathwell and was granted by Robert II to his son David along with the Earldom of caithness which was in abeyance at that time. In 1450, James II bestowed Braal with the Earldom on the High Admiral of Scotland, Sir George Crighton. When he died in 1455 the Earldom was restored to the heir of the ancient line, William Sinclair. The Sinclair earls held Braal until usurption by Glenorchy in 1676. During the period of their ownership it was one of their secondary residences and often used as a place for the incarceration of prisoners.

braalcastle-OLD2.jpg
Old Braal Castle
braalcastle-OLD1.jpg
Old Braal Castle

There are many stories of the old castle at Braal. The most infamous is of Bishop Adam who ended his days tragically on 11th September 1222. The Bishop was paid his taxes in butter, traditionally a spann for every 20 cows. He increased the taxes to a spann of butter for every 15 cows, then 12, then finally every 10 cows, effectively doubling the tax.

The locals took exception to this, gathered on the hill near the village, seized the Bishop, locked him into a small house and burnt him.

King Alexander was very annoyed - well I think it could be classed as very annoyed - when he cut the hands and feet off of 80 people in retaliation.

1262135337_BraalCastle.thumb.jpg.1295961b633fe8b549a151d0ead42066.jpg

11 hours ago, weeman said:

Well done, pity about the car though !! 

Old Braal Castle

Old Braal Castle

The locals took exception to this, gathered on the hill near the village, seized the Bishop, locked him into a small house and burnt him.

King Alexander was very annoyed - well I think it could be classed as very annoyed - when he cut the hands and feet off of 80 people in retaliation.

Ok it's only a guess I think the car may be a Crossley.

What terrible things went on back then :ohmy: although it still happens throughout the world to this day!

Not sure if I know the next one, there is a big hill in front that Mantis might have climbed :wink: