Let's go out of Sneck

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

The fountain, hopefully.

Baxters.  "Neighbours of mine, just across the firth", as James Robertson Justice used to say in the TV adverts back in the dark ages.

He lived at Spinningdale, and I used to imagine him doing 100 miles across the firth and back in a wee rowing boat, whenever he found himself short of a can of ****-a-leekie.

Later addition: do we really need to censor the name of a Scottish soup?  :amazed:  Wonder what happens when I write Scunthorpe...

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
Censorship!!
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Baxters.  "Neighbours of mine, just across the firth", as James Robertson Justice used to say in the TV adverts back in the dark ages.

He lived at Spinningdale, and I used to imagine him doing 100 miles across the firth and back in a wee rowing boat, whenever he found himself short of a can of ****-a-leekie.

Later addition: do we really need to censor the name of a Scottish soup?  :amazed:  Wonder what happens when I write Scunthorpe...

You mean cock-a-leekie? Ahh, the perks of being a mod. I reckon Scotty’s never bothered to put Scunthorpe on the list.

18 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

You mean ****-a-leekie? Ahh, the perks of being a mod. I reckon Scotty’s never bothered to put Scunthorpe on the list.

I worked with a guy who in his early years had worked in a chicken factory near Aberdeen and would not eat chicken or even ****-a leekie soup!  A double Bacardi and Coke never bothered him though :lol:

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, IBM said:

I worked with a guy who in his early years had worked in a chicken factory near Aberdeen and would not eat chicken or even ****-a leekie soup!  A double Bacardi and Coke never bothered him though :lol:

I knew someone who worked in a chicken factory as a summer job, and who promptly went vegetarian.  She stuck with it, too :clapping:

On 7/30/2020 at 11:22 PM, IBM said:

I remember visiting the Islands Hotel in the late 1970s with my then girlfriend and ordered a pint of Export for myself which was not an issue but when I then went on to ask for a Bacardi and Coke for her, was met with the response 'we don't do fancy cocktails'.

I am struggling now to remember the name of the formidable proprietrix.

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I think I'm coming to the end of my photographs which are suitable for this thread. 

Will have another look for more, but if I don't contribute, it doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying it!

I have no idea on that one :shrug: it just proves there are plenty places to visit nearer home :smile:

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I remember visiting the Islands Hotel in the late 1970s with my then girlfriend and ordered a pint of Export for myself which was not an issue but when I then went on to ask for a Bacardi and Coke for her, was met with the response 'we don't do fancy cocktails'.

That's going back a bit, it would have been Mcewans Export and Tenants Lager (not much choice then) I hope you didn't take her to the Star Inn Stornoway :lol:

9 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Will leave it just now in case Mantis knows.

It's probably less than 10 miles from the last one...

I’ll probably have to leave it as I’m away from my desktop and the wee yellow man till the weekend.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, Kingsmills said:

Not quite the same but I was in Igls in Austria a few years back and at the end of a meal asked for 2 Americanos. The young waiter rather pompously replied “we don’t serve American coffee” 😜

It's Spynie Palace, between Elgin and Lossiemouth.  Former residence of the Bishops of Moray.

We were staying at the Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall.  At breakfast, the waitress - English, obviously new - came and asked us what we would like. 

My wife said: "I think I'll have the porridge today".

Waitress: "OK - just hang on, I'll go and see if we got any in overnight".

:amazed::amazed: :lol: :lol:

Ever since, I have had this vision of a porridge tanker trundling through the streets of Kirkwall in the wee sma' hours, making deliveries...

5 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

It's Spynie Palace, between Elgin and Lossiemouth.  Former residence of the Bishops of Moray.

We were staying at the Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall.  At breakfast, the waitress - English, obviously new - came and asked us what we would like. 

My wife said: "I think I'll have the porridge today".

Waitress: "OK - just hang on, I'll go and see if we got any in overnight".

:amazed::amazed: :lol: :lol:

Ever since, I have had this vision of a porridge tanker trundling through the streets of Kirkwall in the wee sma' hours, making deliveries...

I have passed the road end but never seen Spynie Palace.

I will have to see if I have a photo of the porridge tanker for you :wink:

Love it!  :stir:  :clapping:

One of things that amused my wife and myself down here in the London area was the "discovery", about 10-15 years ago,  of porridge as a "superfood".  We had the very rapid spread of porridge outlets, in cafes, health food bars, and railway station stalls, all selling this wonderstuff to the trendy young professionals heading to their offices and trading floors in the City, in Canary Wharf, and so on.

What used to horrify us was the stuff that was added to it to make it attractive (or just edible).  Looking at just one website, I can see, amongst many others, porridge with:

• almond milk oats, butter, hazelnuts, cinnamon coconut palm sugar and apple
  • fig, agave and chia seeds
  • date molasses and Medjool dates
  • vanilla cream, cocoa nibs, chia, banana
  • mature coconut, dates, almonds, apple, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, hemp seeds, cacao and blueberries.

Personally, I can't stand the stuff :lol:

• Agree 2

On 8/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

I think I'm coming to the end of my photographs which are suitable for this thread. 

Will have another look for more, but if I don't contribute, it doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying it!

If you don't find anymore Mantis is away until the weekend he might be hiking over the hills in the highlands taking more photos :smile:

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, IBM said:

If you don't find anymore Mantis is away until the weekend he might be hiking over the hills in the highlands taking more photos :smile:

Just having a week over in Lewis, the missus is finding plenty to keep me busy...

Plenty pics on the old iPad though, I’ll never run out 😂

Can’t get yours though, no wee yellow man to help me 😟