Let's go out of Sneck

9 hours ago, IBM said:

Have you called in here?

Not sure.   My father did manage to get someone out late one night - can't remember if it was from the hotel or not - to open up the pumps and sell us a gallon of petrol.  Otherwise we wouldn't have made it home.

The Freeburn Hotel at Tomatin.

The photgraph below is from 1986.  I don't think the place has ever been open to the public, but I think there's a chance that you will know it.

797054467_002sml.jpg.e4d5e621a5c31715bcd6d73f1c5395b5.jpg

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Not sure.   My father did manage to get someone out late one night - can't remember if it was from the hotel or not - to open up the pumps and sell us a gallon of petrol.  Otherwise we wouldn't have made it home.

The Freeburn Hotel at Tomatin.

The photgraph below is from 1986.  I don't think the place has ever been open to the public, but I think there's a chance that you will know it.

797054467_002sml.jpg.e4d5e621a5c31715bcd6d73f1c5395b5.jpg

My first thought was the old school hostel at Golspie which is now the Drummuie Highland Council Office but it looks to tall.

:clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

Castle Grant, just north of Grantown.  Owned in 2012 by Craig Whyte, but (according to Wikipedia) seized by the Bank of Scotland when he refused to make mortgage payments.

I'm guessing that there might have been a few photographs of it in the local news at the time.  Plenty of photos of it online.

12 hours ago, IBM said:

See how the others get on with it.

Never actually been to that precise spot.  But the topography is pretty distinctive, and, using the coastline, I went more or less straight to it on Google Earth.  Then confirmed the name of the hill.

It got me thinking that the hill might appear in the background of some of my own photographs.   Having looked at some online photos of the hill, and checked the direction on Google Earth, I am fairly sure that that's it in the photograph below, behind the people just left of centre. 

No work done on that site this year - another consequence of the pandemic 😷

1283331235_DSCN2661sml.JPG.cf83eb4068a24f5ff8a3ecb3097998a4.JPG

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Never actually been to that precise spot.  But the topography is pretty distinctive, and, using the coastline, I went more or less straight to it on Google Earth.  Then confirmed the name of the hill.

It got me thinking that the hill might appear in the background of some of my own photographs.   Having looked at some online photos of the hill, and checked the direction on Google Earth, I am fairly sure that that's it in the photograph below, behind the people just left of centre. 

Most of Orkney's kind of flat anyway so the two big hills in Hoy are visible from all over. Ward Hill on the left and Cuilags on the right.

In my shot, the island is Graemsay and Stromness is beyond.

Edited by TheMantis

And, though I am sure that you know, my photograph is of the archeological site at the Ness of Brodgar.

One of the most important archaeological sites in Europe, if not the world.  And it receives no government funding.  Criminal.

In a normal year it's only open for the three summer months, when the academics and students are "on holiday".  And this year it didn't open at all.

I have never been to Hoy but was reading about the old oil storage tanks at Lyness last year which are the same as the ones at Inchindown Ross-shire.  I had been looking at Google Maps so I managed to identify the photo.

Here is another of sunset over Hoy taken from the ferry from Shetland to Orkney on a midsummer night.

PICT2999.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Sorry I've been away all weekend. Only just seen it. Don't know it at first glance anyway 😉

It's not a boat you will have sailed on but you might have seen it on your travels and it's the only one of that type I have seen :smile: