Let's go out of Sneck

6 hours ago, IBM said:

Yes the Black Isle near the shore. I thought weeman would have got it 😏

I do know, I pass it regularly . Just don't want folk to know which side of the bridge I live on. Oops.

Also did you know it's named after a nephew of St. Columba??

Edited by weeman
Additional info

3 hours ago, weeman said:

Also did you know it's named after a nephew of St. Columba??

I didn't know St Columba had a nephew called Killearnan.

I found the grave of my 3rd great grandparents there although no sigh of my great grandparents.

IMG_7789.JPG

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

OK, mountain men, here's one of my Dad's photographs, from 1947.  Though I don't think it has changed much...

Interesting damage at the top - almost mirrors the mountain.

1351314040_1947mountain.jpg.985805a011be7366c2d662dd83af69a3.jpg

Do you know this one yourself or are you looking for help again :whistle:

P.S. I've been away nearly all of the month. Won't say where just in case I decide to pap a few pics up here.

Edited by TheMantis

12 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Do you know this one yourself or are you looking for help again :whistle:

I am 99+% sure of it.  Most modern photographs of this place are from a different angle, but I'm sure that this one this time isn't reversed, if that's what you're getting at  :lol:

Because a) I have seen some modern photos from the same angle, and b) it's from a print, not a transparency.  I have also worked out where my father took it from, and it makes sense to me.

10 hours ago, IBM said:

I am not a mountain man:furtive:  Has this loch got a dam at one end and an inn at the other?

Not that I can see from the map.  Haven't been that way myself for a while.

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Ben Stack from the East. Tricky one.

Well done - that's it!  Ben Stack has a very distinctive outline, but nearly all photographs are taken from the north or north-west - which might make you think that I had reversed it, again.

But I found this one below, which is labelled  "Ben Stack from Meallan Liath Beag", which is about 17km away SE of Ben Stack.

1360090536_20171026gsmlBenStackfromMeallanLiathBeag.JPG.4edbeda999c435b60e3695b02d7ee528.JPG

It's clear that my Dad was on almost the same bearing from Ben Stack.  From the map, I realised that he was much closer, on the high ground to the SE of Loch na Mucnaich at the bottom right of the map below.  The 719m peak of Ben Stack is at the top left.

On the shore of Lock Stack beside Airdachuilinn, above the centre of the map, is the house where my Dad's uncle and later his cousin stayed when they were head gamekeepers on the estate there.  It's an area that he loved.

471034800_photolocation.JPG.4fccfe400b3deaf5fcb128ff3dad6a82.JPG

1 hour ago, IBM said:

I thought snorbens one was near loch Cluanie taken before the dam was built so I was miles out :slapme:

I know the church but will leave it to see if any others can get it.

You’d struggle to get a photo around Cluanie with only one hill in it. It confused me for a while but it’s near the coast so no more hills. Arkle is off to the right as I posted a few pages back.