Let's go out of Sneck

Yes that's it. Never knew it existed until a couple of weeks ago.The plaque on the bridge also spells his name as Caulfeild. Here's a bit of info;

LITTLE GARVE BRIDGE

The bridge at Little Garve was constructed by Major Caulfeild in the 1762 as part of the governments military roads which were built in the wake of the Jacobite Rebellion in 1745/6. This particular route ran from Contin north west to Poolewe, and while the route to the north of the bridge is easily traced, that to the south is a little more difficult, although the forest road from Strath Garve to Contin may be on the same alignment.

The bridge has never been part of a classified road, with the route followed by the A835 already having been built prior to classification in 1922. However, the road over the bridge was in use until 1987 when it was finally decided that bridge was in too poor condition for continued use. However, it took another 20 years before restoration work took place, following a partial (minor) collapse a couple of years before.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across this when out for a walk earlier, at a time I had expected to be watching a live stream of today’s game.

I don’t know the name or the history but if anyone recognises it, feel free to fill me in. 

1BEBCA5F-25C1-4656-B8C8-7F1E7C99EBF0.jpeg

Edited by Robert

Holme Rose Croy, it was sold in 2019 the asking price was over 2 million!  See the link below which has a lot of information and pictures although I didn't know there was a Brigadier James Stirling of Fairburn. 

https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/homes-gardens/property-2/2-35million-holme-rose-is-an-impressive-a-listed-property/

• Thank You 1

Only a mile from where I live and I just came across it today!

Somewhat out of my price range!

Is it still one property or has it been converted to flats? There were a lot of wheelie bins outside. 

Edited by Robert

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Only a mile from where I live and I just came across it today!

Somewhat out of my price range!

Is it still one property or has it been converted to flats? There were a lot of wheelie bins outside. 

I worked on a fault on the phone line in the late 70's which is the only time I was at the property.  I think it would have been bought by some wealthy person and don't think it will be flats.  You will need to sneak in a bit closer next time and have a closer look :rolleyes:

In recent times before lockdown I have been in at the old farm which has the Cantrybridge Cafe which was very good.

The path I was following went straight into the grounds, but I followed prints in the snow to get to the road leading to the property rather than going any closer to it.

I know the cafe at the farm too and was there a few times in previous summers.

Oh for being able to live a normal life again!

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Stuck with this one I assume if you show more of the church it would be a dead giveaway 

I see what you did there. 

Don't know either where it is, but if it's on the N.C. 500 I'd guess  Lochcarron